Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to FiL

Re: So I guess they didn't really prove

said by FiL:

Plus, 170,000 minumum wage jobs is NOT what the country needs at this point.
The movie industry has numerous high paid UNION jobs. And any loss of jobs there aren't minimum wage ones.
--
--
Join Red Room Forum
BLOG tkjunkmail.blogspot.com
My Web Page

RayW
Premium
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT
kudos:1
said by FFH5:

The movie industry has numerous high paid UNION jobs. And any loss of jobs there aren't minimum wage ones.
Wonder how many of those listed jobs were actually lost to automation and new technology? If the indications that my wife saw 15 years ago are still true, a lot of job losses in that industry are not piracy, but no longer needing the people. And with the animation affects that are getting such that it is hard to tell real people from animations, even more are lost (Shrek caused a big stink in that respect, and I heard that they had to dumb the art down to keep the unions from exploding).
--
I am not lost, I find myself every time.

kamm

join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by FiL:

ROFLAMO - one more funny comment.

FYI: most of the film industry is based on freelancers. Rest of the workers are the showroom dummies to fool "naive" folks like you.

qdemn7
Smurf in My Loop
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Fort Worth, TX

4 recommendations

reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by FiL:

Quite true, but then Hollywood itself is it's own worst enemy.

If HOLLYWOOD as an industry was really concerned about American jobs then they wouldn't be making so many production in Canada, the UK and Australia not to mention Eastern Europe.

When they start making all of their films in the US, I'll listen to what they say.
--
“Teaching music is not in accordance with the Islamic establishment, and teaching music to schoolchildren brings corruption.” Ayatollah Ali Khamenei Supreme Leader of Iran

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by FiL:

When your at the job who do they cut first the low paid shit workers and then they outsource the job out to india, the big ceos and high paid jobs are kept because they have skills

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to qdemn7

Unions still strong in Hollywood

»findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m···92808160
Roughly 70 percent of the estimated 800,000 entertainment workers in Los Angeles County--a catchall category that includes everyone from actors and professional dancers to prop handlers and electricians--are members of trade unions, according to AFL-CIO's Center for Regional Employment Strategies.

--
--
Join Red Room Forum
BLOG tkjunkmail.blogspot.com
My Web Page

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to RayW

said by RayW:

Wonder how many of those listed jobs were actually lost to automation and new technology?
Bingo. Their job estimate is likely as well cooked as their piracy damages estimate. Even if piracy were to stop tomorrow and their "predicted" surge of happened, there wouldn't be a 140,000 job increase, if any at all.

Cry me another one MPAA.

kamm

Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to FFH5

Re: Unions still strong in Hollywood

said by FFH5:

»findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m···92808160
Roughly 70 percent of the estimated 800,000 entertainment workers in Los Angeles County--a catchall category that includes everyone from actors and professional dancers to prop handlers and electricians--are members of trade unions, according to AFL-CIO's Center for Regional Employment Strategies.
ROFLMAO - do you even read your own links? there you go, you have just said it:

estimated 800,000 entertainment workers in Los Angeles County--a catchall category that includes everyone from actors and professional dancers to prop handlers and electricians--
A shining example of the "creative arts" of bookeeping, accounting....

"Lies, damn lies and statistics."

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

1 recommendation

said by kamm:

I would say that 70% counts as most people. Not really sure what figures you are going by.......
--
!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to MysticGogeta

said by MysticGogeta:

said by FFH5:

said by FiL:

When your at the job who do they cut first the low paid shit workers and then they outsource the job out to india, the big ceos and high paid jobs are kept because they have skills
higher pay doesnt mean they have any skills. a Plumber is more skilled then any CEO(a CEO probally has to call for help to plug in the coffee maker like other rich people) but gets paid "shit".
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

fldiver
Premium
join:1999-12-27
Jacksonville, FL
reply to qdemn7
LOL; and who knows how many items are outsourced to countries like India??

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX
reply to Kearnstd
A plumber makes alot of money quite actually your metaphor is quite off. If I owned a plumbing company, and I had alot of jobs to do I would hire a few more plumber assistants to help me out, so lets say Joe does not work as hard as Smith and is not as skilled as him. Jobs slow down and I need to fire someone because of it I would fire Joe. This is the same idea just on a much larger scale.

kamm

Brooklyn, NY
reply to wifi4milez

Re: Unions still strong in Hollywood

said by wifi4milez:

said by kamm:

I would say that 70% counts as most people. Not really sure what figures you are going by.......
Ummm for example "entertainment workers" which counts everybody within 150 miles radius of studio?

wev567

join:2006-02-25
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to FFH5
Members of many of these unions work maybe a half a dozen days a year. The majority of SAG mambers can barely afford to pay for the discounted health care plans it offers. Entertainment unions are like the steelworkers.

jwsmiths4
Part Man, Part Mac
Premium
join:2003-10-25
Savannah, GA
reply to FFH5

The jobs that are being lost aren't in movie production I bet (afterall i don't see any shortage of movies being made) -- they're in the distribution channels, retail sales, whatever else.
--
»web.mac.com/jwsmiths/iWeb