This is a sub-selection from I agree
Capharnaum
join:2006-06-19
Montreal, QC

Capharnaum to rachelsfx

to rachelsfx

Re: I agree

said by rachelsfx:

In this arena, it does cost jobs. It does erode our trade deficit. You want to watch--pay for it like your parents did.
First, there's no job lost, they're just displaced. People that don't spend "x" billion spend it elsewhere, which creates jobs in other industries.

Second, it's not because people watch for free that they would for a cost. There's nothing to say that if there was no piracy, sales would be higher. Perhaps instead people would have put money into other entertainment avenues.

Here's an example: I only buy like one movie every two years. The rest I loan from someone (which is not illegal). I never go to the theater unless I get free tickets, and even then I dislike the setting, I like the comfort at home much better. Lately, I haven't seen a movie in three months and I don't really miss them either, I just do something else with my time. If instead of having friends loan me their movies from time to time I would "download" them, the end result would be the same for the movie industy (0$). However, they would add me up in their stats as a lost sale, costing them jobs. Their analysis is a fallacy. The biggest proof of all that is that the more a movie sells, the more that movie is pirated (according to stats). Which would tend to say that more piracy = more sales. The movie industry rethoric though, just like all industries, is always "gimme more".

GilbertMark
Premium Member
join:2001-05-02
Gilbert, AZ

GilbertMark

Premium Member

said by Capharnaum:
said by rachelsfx:

In this arena, it does cost jobs. It does erode our trade deficit. You want to watch--pay for it like your parents did.
First, there's no job lost, they're just displaced. People that don't spend "x" billion spend it elsewhere, which creates jobs in other industries.

Second, it's not because people watch for free that they would for a cost. There's nothing to say that if there was no piracy, sales would be higher. Perhaps instead people would have put money into other entertainment avenues.

Here's an example: I only buy like one movie every two years. The rest I loan from someone (which is not illegal). I never go to the theater unless I get free tickets, and even then I dislike the setting, I like the comfort at home much better. Lately, I haven't seen a movie in three months and I don't really miss them either, I just do something else with my time. If instead of having friends loan me their movies from time to time I would "download" them, the end result would be the same for the movie industy (0$). However, they would add me up in their stats as a lost sale, costing them jobs. Their analysis is a fallacy. The biggest proof of all that is that the more a movie sells, the more that movie is pirated (according to stats). Which would tend to say that more piracy = more sales. The movie industry rethoric though, just like all industries, is always "gimme more".
Perfectly put!
baldwookie
join:2004-11-22
Fredericton, NB

baldwookie to Capharnaum

to Capharnaum
FINALLY! Somebody says it! Most pirates wouldn't purchase if they couldn't pirate. They'd just not pirate. No losses there (except the tax revenue on the blank media that the governments would lose).
« blahUnion Buster's »
This is a sub-selection from I agree