Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kingdom2k

@charter.com
reply to David

Re: So I guess they didn't really prove

Not asking the right questions.

What you should be asking is where did these numbers come from. Considering that most piracy is done in private and in secret how in the world do they compute lost sales? So where does the number of lost sales come from?

Another question is the value placed on that lost sale. Is a DVD $30, $20, or $10? I bet since the suggested retail value of most DVDs is $30 (even though never sold at that price), that means that the numbers are automatically inflated 2x over their true value.

What about song sales, do they count the going iTunes rate of $1.00 per song or do they go with the suggested retail price of $20 per CD? Again, that leads to a high inflated value.

Finally, what is the ratio of pirate items to lost sales? I am betting, again to maximize the number they report, they decide its 1 to 1. That means for every item pirated, thats an item that wasn't sold in the market, but is that really true? Is it really true that if the person couldn't buy an item pirated they would buy it at retail? So if can't download the movie they go buy a ticket? They go get the DVD? If they can't get the song, they go and buy the CD? I mean really, what are that chances of that being 1:1? I say none.

So, really, you are looking at a value that is exaggerated in every way possible. What part of the presented stats are even valid? Who don't know because no one asks.

Ever heard of the saying from Mark Twain? "There are lies, damn lies and statistics." The MPAA have an agenda and whatever data they present will be to maximize that agenda. Always always questions where the data comes from and how its derived.