spc
uniqs

kingbenj
join:2001-10-02
Kailua, HI

kingbenj to kim11364

to kim11364

Re: which cable modem is best for Road Runner

well i guess it depends on where you live.

here in hawaii they gave me a crappy toshiba modem so i went out and bought a Moto Surfboard 5120 today.

When I called in to give them the MAC address the CSR informed me that in hawaii you CANNOT buy your own modem. I asked him why and he said that they don't have the ability to track if a modem is owned or rented. he said you can only do it on the mainland.

he asked me why i wanted one and I told him that I get poor speeds (around 2mb on a 5mb plan) with the crappy toshiba. he said, well, 5mb is the max and i said yeah, but i should be getting at least 4 point something.

he said the only thing i can do is swap out my modem for a webstar modem since that is what they currently offer.

is it worth the swap? is webstar better than toshiba? he said it was made by scientific atlanta "the same company that makes your cable box" -- like that would give me any confidence in it!

the good news is that i bought the moto surfboard online from circuit city doing the in-store pickup -- with rebates it only cost $30 plus they didn't have it ready for me at the store so they gave me a free $25 gift card to say sorry. so for $5 i guess i'll keep it for later or sell it on ebay.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Oceanic sucks. These idiots state on their help page that there are 15 vendors approved for modems used on the Hawaii RR. Scientific Atlanta (Webstar) is NOT among the approved vendors for modems used on the RR network.