spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jonybd
join:2005-07-10

jonybd

Linksys pap2

When i am talking in line 2, i change the line 1 settings
- but it doesnt change any settings until i stop line 2 and make it free?

- how can i force change the line 1 settings even i am talking in line 2 !

any help related

linksys pap2> Provisioning >Configuration Profile >
Provision Enable: yesno
Resync On Reset: yesno
Resync Random Delay:
Resync Periodic:
Resync Error Retry Delay:
Forced Resync Delay:
Resync From SIP: yesno
Resync After Upgrade Attempt: yesno
Resync Trigger 1:
Resync Trigger 2:
Resync Fails On FNF: yesno
Profile Rule:
Profile Rule B:
Profile Rule C:
Profile Rule D:
Log Resync Request Msg:
Log Resync Success Msg:
Log Resync Failure Msg:
Report Rule:
RonR
join:2003-10-10
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

You can't. It has to reboot and that would kill your call on line 2 if it was allowed to proceed.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to jonybd

Premium Member

to jonybd
said by jonybd:

but it doesnt change any settings until i stop line 2 and make it free?
What exactly did you mean by make it free? Did you mean disable the line?
jonybd

jonybd

hi,

we have developed multroute software with linksys/sipura.
- useing our software we change the providers/username/password
- it works fine, according to our testing.

but the problem is when line 2 is busy , and i change the line 1 settings it doesnt apply until both line is free/idle.

is there any way that can force update the changes ? no matter calls are connected or not connected. (because software gives warnning , but the changes need to be make)

reg
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by jonybd:

useing our software we change the providers/username/password
What exactly did you mean by that? Did you mean your software can replace the factory default settings of VoSP information with the ones you like, i.e. get rid off Vonage completely?

CyberSultan
Premium Member
join:2006-07-20

CyberSultan to jonybd

Premium Member

to jonybd
said by jonybd:

but the problem is when line 2 is busy , and i change the line 1 settings it doesnt apply until both line is free/idle.

is there any way that can force update the changes ? no matter calls are connected or not connected. (because software gives warnning , but the changes need to be make)

reg
RonR is correct The settings will not take affect until both lines on the ATA are idle. I do not see any way to force it to behave differently.
jonybd

jonybd

after doing lot of debug and test calls, i saw it change and gives good result but uncertain.

for testing i have:
===================
- Two userid/password
- DDI number of our sip server, where i can check the balance.

Result:
=======
- i have noticed if i change the settings lets say line 1 , it doesnt apply but it store in memory.

- when both lines are idle it apply the settings.

Hope:
=====
i think there is hope, somebody let me know.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to jonybd

Premium Member

to jonybd
Honestly, I don't know what you are trying to achieve here. As many have pointed out, changes won't get updated until both lines are not in use. Perhaps if you were to tell us more in detail, this will hopefully answer to your inquiries.
boogerman69
join:2006-09-28
Newport, MI

boogerman69 to jonybd

to jonybd
There is no way to do what you are wanting to do. The unit has to reset when you make line changes, thus breaking connections.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by boogerman69:

The unit has to reset when you make line changes, thus breaking connections.
I believe you meant power cycle; otherwise, we all who have used unlocked PAP2 units will have a problem! Anyway, even if you mean a power cycle, this is NOT necessarily true and it depends on what variables you want to change. For instance, if you change the CID and click save, your PAP2 will start making the changes immediately after the line isn't in use but doesn't require any power cycle.
boogerman69
Newport, MI

boogerman69

Yes, some changes like MWI and such will not do a soft reset but other changes like userid, proxy, etc. WILL cause the box to do a soft reset, which is the same as pulling the power and plugging it back in.
Why do you say those who have used unlock PAP2 units will have a problem. Unless you do a factory reset, there is no risk in power cycling. If you have gotten into your providers locked unit and made changes, just turn off provisioning and resync. This way if you power cycle, it will not "phone home" for a config.
PAP2's/Sipura's are a breeze! Best ATA's out there IMHO
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by boogerman69:

Why do you say those who have used unlock PAP2 units will have a problem.
That is because you said reset. When your PAP2 perform a reset, it will replace your configuration with the factory default settings, thus the device will lock itself when physically attached to the Internet to phone home.

BTW, there is no such thing called a soft reset on a PAP2 as what you said in your post; however, there is a power cycle. A power cycle is not a soft reset as you said.
boogerman69
Newport, MI

boogerman69

Mazlio,
I am going to have to disagree with you on your statements. There are 3 scenarios here:
1. When you make certain changes to the unit the pap2 does reboot itself (see below) This is considered a SOFT reset

PAP2 is updating your configuration. Unit may reset.
You will be redirected to the configuration page in 5 seconds.
If not, you can click HERE to return to the configuration page.

2. Pull power to do a HARD reset

When you power off your PC it is considered a hard or cold boot. When you ctrl-alt-del it is considered a soft or warm boot. They both accomplish the same thing.

3. FACTORY RESET going into the IVR performing the 73738 command. Please don't confuse the task reset with a factory reset.

At NO point under ANY circumstance if you have removed the providers auto-provisioning parameters will it ever return to those defaults unless you do option 3. Options 1 and 2 are both real and are 100% safe if you know what you are doing with this box. I am a LS authorized service provider and provision these devices regularly, including locking and auto-provisioning them. I have also reconfigured many "provider locked" units and those are the types i run personally. I have re-cycled a good variety of different ATA's.

I mean no offense towards you, but we are here to help others, not argue about word choices

DogFace056
join:2005-12-09
Cary, NC

DogFace056

said by boogerman69:

I am a LS authorized service provider and provision these devices regularly, including locking and auto-provisioning them. I have also reconfigured many "provider locked" units and those are the types i run personally. I have re-cycled a good variety of different ATA's.
What do you mean by "reconfigured many 'provider locked' units"? Do you mean that you have just changed their current settings, or have you actually recustomized their factory defaults?
boogerman69
Newport, MI

boogerman69

I meant changed their settings. Unfortunately, the locked units have default provider parameters burned into the eeprom so when you do a factory reset, it brings the providers settings back in to play. This is why they say never to attach an unlocked device to the internet after a factory reset or it will attempt to phone home and in the case of the PAP2 with v3.1.9 and below, if you don't have the GPP_K value and it updates to 3.1.9, you are now locked out of your own unit. I have one of those I still haven't gotten cracked open because of that reason.
jonybd

1 edit

jonybd

i give you a very soft idea what exactly i am doing.
install webserver, or apache.

change linksys as following.

- change the timers of linksys in provisioning
- linksys> provisioning > put profile : »yourcomputerip/script.xml

script.xml - includes
===========
<flat-profile>
<Proxy_1_ ua="na">8x.x.x.x</Proxy_1_>
<User_ID_1_ ua="na">xxxxxxxx</User_ID_1_>
<Password_1_ ua="na">xxxxxx</Password_1_>
</flat-profile>

i am doing this useing our software to apply multiroute. but it needs line1,line2 be idle.

if anyone can have idea to do any thing special let me know.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to boogerman69

Premium Member

to boogerman69
said by boogerman69:

1. When you make certain changes to the unit the pap2 does reboot itself (see below) This is considered a SOFT reset
I agree with you that the PAP2 will reboot, but this process can't be considered as a soft reset.
Unit may reset.
Here is the problem you don't understand about the word may. This doesn't imply the unit will perform a reset. If the unit performs a reset, then your unlocked PAP2 (with factory default settings configured to a VoSP with password protected) is doomed!
2. Pull power to do a HARD reset
This is not a HARD reset but a power cycle.
When you power off your PC it is considered a hard or cold boot. When you ctrl-alt-del it is considered a soft or warm boot. They both accomplish the same thing.
We are talking about a PAP2, ain't we? If so, then there is no such a ctrl-alt-del function here on a PAP2. BTW, a hard/cold boot is not a reset.
3. FACTORY RESET going into the IVR performing the 73738 command. Please don't confuse the task reset with a factory reset.

At NO point under ANY circumstance if you have removed the providers auto-provisioning parameters will it ever return to those defaults unless you do option 3.
Be very careful to make the above statement because option 3 isn't the only highway to hell for a PAP2! If you want the proof on what you said above is not foolproof, then do the following:
  • Configure your unlocked Linksys/Vonage (previously locked) PAP2 with provisions disabled and password protected (lock) your PAP2.
  • Let it operate as usual with one and/or two VoIP lines from any free VoSP, i.e. FWD (I don't recommend you to configure your PAP2 with a commercial VoIP account).
  • On your router, perform some ports forwarding to your PAP2 so outsiders can see the status of your PAP2 in operation.
  • Provide your IP address here and invite anyone to factory reset your PAP2 by any means.
I reckon you will be surprised to find out your PAP2 will be performing a factory reset and gets relocked by its factory default settings in no time! You don't have to take my words to find out.
Options 1 and 2 are both real and are 100% safe if you know what you are doing with this box.
There is no such option 2 on a PAP2!
I am a LS authorized service provider and provision these devices regularly, including locking and auto-provisioning them. I have also reconfigured many "provider locked" units and those are the types i run personally. I have re-cycled a good variety of different ATA's.
You can still be the CEO of Linksys and the fact is a reboot is not a (soft) reset!
I mean no offense towards you, but we are here to help others, not argue about word choices
Who said we are arguing. What I tried to point out is the information you provided here is not accurate but misleading. I could careless if you are a linksys authorized service provider and provision these devices regularly, including locking and auto-provisioning them as well as reconfiguring many "provider locked" units and/or re-cycled a good variety of different ATA's, but you just can't mislead readers by saying a reboot is a soft reset and get a way with it. I know what you mean; however, to some newbies, this will confuse them further.
mazilo

mazilo to boogerman69

Premium Member

to boogerman69
said by boogerman69:

This is why they say never to attach an unlocked device to the internet after a factory reset or it will attempt to phone home and in the case of the PAP2 with v3.1.9 and below, if you don't have the GPP_K value and it updates to 3.1.9, you are now locked out of your own unit. I have one of those I still haven't gotten cracked open because of that reason.
This is no longer true to some people! I have seen some Linksys/Vonage locked PAP2 got unlocked, attached to the Internet, performed a factory reset (****73738#1), and the owner was still able to access each SIP menu to reconfigure his PAP2 units.

The reverse is also true. You just don't have to take my words for this to find out, just do exactly what I mentioned in my previous posts and hope for the worst to happen to your unlocked Linksys/Vonage (previously locked) PAP2. And, viola ... your unlocked Linksys/Vonage (previously locked) PAP2 will phone home to Vonage to get relocked in no time!
mazilo

mazilo to jonybd

Premium Member

to jonybd
said by jonybd:

i give you a very soft idea what exactly i am doing.
You mean similar to what is mentioned in this post.
boogerman69
Newport, MI

boogerman69 to mazilo

to mazilo
Maz,
I agree, we are not arguing, I think we are not necessarily speaking the same language on some of this..(i.e., reboot, reset, ect)
The 3 key items are this:
1. Don't do a factory reset 73738# or kiss it goodbye.
2. Never leave provision enabled without your own TFTP server.
3. Change default Admin access once able to reconfigure.

Other than those three, the unit is safe to reconfigure. I still don't see how the unit is unsafe when facing the internet.
How's that sound?

BM
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by boogerman69:

Maz,
I agree, we are not arguing, I think we are not necessarily speaking the same language on some of this..(i.e., reboot, reset, ect)
The 3 key items are this:
1. Don't do a factory reset 73738# or kiss it goodbye.
2. Never leave provision enabled without your own TFTP server.
3. Change default Admin access once able to reconfigure.

Other than those three, the unit is safe to reconfigure. I still don't see how the unit is unsafe when facing the internet.
AFAIK and for the time being, what you said above are correct, but may no longer be true (if you know what I mean -- see my previous post).

Anyway, we have discussed something way off-track.
boogerman69
Newport, MI

boogerman69

LOL! your right.. This is why I stick to the unlocked units!
Although I do like the RTP300 very much..
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

Boogerman,

I re-read your posts and noticed something about what you said regarding the reset and did some thinking as well as consulting with some friends. Up to certain degrees, you are right that a soft reset can be considered as a reboot. For instance, if you look at some of the machine (assembly) codes, i.e. reset (RST), it is used to clear (initialize/reset) the accumulator(s) and/or register(s) of a CPU and jump to certain memory location to prepare for a soft reboot. In this sense, you are right and I apologize for the misunderstanding here.
jonybd

jonybd to boogerman69

to boogerman69
So, after waiting long period of time, we came to final that linksys pap2 is not designed for multiroute.

- it is excellent device but not for prorfessional uses, its designed for residential servies only.

- In call shop or call center, we can use this device for prepaid service , or we cant force update the linksys, until we power cycle it.

Note: only for this feature linksys pap2 couldnt able to make "Telco product: MAXS or IMIX dialer"
jonybd

jonybd

So, at the we end we learned that. linksys pap2 regarding provisioning has the following disadvantages, which they should update to get huge more market.

- "Telco company" has dialers like MAXS (isdn/pstn least cost route) , IMIX (isdn / pstn least cost route) and there features couldnt be done by linksys pap2.

- only for linksys pap2 force provisioning its not able to take call shop markets where you put 8 linksys and do cash payments useing real time billing softwares.

- useing linksys pap2 its not possible to work with multi providers like MAXS dialers (pstn/isdn) you can.

- useing linksys is only a target of residential uses not call shop.

thank you and wish this post is noticed by linksys pap2 developers.