dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
TheMayor
join:2002-05-09

TheMayor to MarkyD

to MarkyD

Re: What is Qwest's SMTP server address?

What kind of Qwest DSL acct do you have? If I am not mistaken the Qwest DSL w/ MSN & the Qwest DSL w/ Internet basic does NOT come with a Qwest email acct.

but if I remember each email server address is different based upon what city you live in. For instance Seattle is Sttl. I believe denver is dnvr, but I don't remember the rest of it.

MarkyD
Premium Member
join:2002-08-20
Oklahoma City, OK

MarkyD

Premium Member

had to call, looks like Las Cruces NM is pop.albq.qwest.net

thanks for the reply
nocannothave
join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA

nocannothave

We have customers who have stopped using us and gone with qwest.net as their ISP, but have kept an e-mail address with us. They can no longer send mail via a client, because there is no outbound mailserver support.

Oh well. I hope the $7 in savings is worth it...

Suffering
Retrovertigo
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06

Suffering

Premium Member

said by nocannothave:

We have customers who have stopped using us and gone with qwest.net as their ISP, but have kept an e-mail address with us. They can no longer send mail via a client, because there is no outbound mailserver support.

Oh well. I hope the $7 in savings is worth it...
Yeah, Qwest won't relay other domain's mail. Actually most most mail servers in the US won't relay third party domains.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Suffering:

Actually most most mail servers in the US won't relay third party domains.
Cite your proof? I don't know how to prove it one way, or the other; but I have tested some U.S. mail providers which do relay third part domains. I even use them:

smtp.pacbell.yahoo.com
smtpauth.sbcglobal.net
smtp.gmail.com
SoulSeekerUS3
join:2006-08-30
Dubuque, IA

2 edits

SoulSeekerUS3 to nocannothave

to nocannothave
I have a site that I use for my web hosting and I get 500 emails. I have not used an ISP email address for over 5 years. I get the site for $5.00 a month. Hell you could just get the package and only use the emails. You would also need a domain name but you can get them for real cheap. Think I paid $1.95 for my last one when I hosted the site with the same place. Got 2 months of hosting and the domain for under $12.00.

Suffering
Retrovertigo
Premium Member

Suffering to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Cite your proof? I don't know how to prove it one way, or the other; but I have tested some U.S. mail providers which do relay third part domains. I even use them:

smtp.pacbell.yahoo.com
smtpauth.sbcglobal.net
smtp.gmail.com
Maybe I should have been more specific. Many ISP's will relay with authentication, most are not open mail relays.

While I can't cite anything specific I do know that open mail relay hasn't been too popular for some time. I remember using open relays to mail bomb friends back around 1994 when email was more novelty than necessity (at least it was to us).

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Suffering:

Maybe I should have been more specific. Many ISP's will relay with authentication, most are not open mail relays.
Ah, that makes senses. None of the big providers, ISP or otherwise, run open relays. Heck, I run a mail server on my residential connection and I have secured it against relay. There may be even as many as 100 open relays on the entire Internet. Oh, and I will add a hyperbole warning on that number. I have no way to determine a realistic estimate. About once every month, or so, I see attempts at unauthorized relay; I have to presume that the spammers will find one almost as fast at it appears.

Suffering
Retrovertigo
Premium Member

Suffering

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

Ah, that makes senses. None of the big providers, ISP or otherwise, run open relays. Heck, I run a mail server on my residential connection and I have secured it against relay. There may be even as many as 100 open relays on the entire Internet. Oh, and I will add a hyperbole warning on that number. I have no way to determine a realistic estimate. About once every month, or so, I see attempts at unauthorized relay; I have to presume that the spammers will find one almost as fast at it appears.
You got me curious. Looks like there are actually TONS of open relays (unfortunately) »www.ordb.org/statistics/ ··· aycount/ way more than I thought there would be