CHPMustang
N X T1
Premium Member
join:2001-10-18
Plano, TX

3 edits

CHPMustang

Premium Member

High Packet Loss in Dallas/SBC router issues?

Click for full size
While pinging a server in Virginia there's 2 hops here in the Dallas Texas area with 80+% packet loss/packets lost should I contact AT&T or sit it out and wait for them to look at it?

Attached is a screen shot of the routing.
CHPMustang

CHPMustang

Premium Member

Re: High Packet Loss in Dallas

Looks like the routers on hop 4 & 5 are having issues. I called in a trouble ticket,hopefully they'll check the equipment out.
CHPMustang

CHPMustang

Premium Member

Re: High Packet Loss in Dallas/SBC router issues?

If the DSLR staff would like to move this thread to the AT&T Direct forum so the problem can get looked at and resolved I appreciate it

Shot you a PM Flippant

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety

join:2000-06-04
Katy, TX

Flippant

I would suggest you start a new thread over there. The rules tell you that if a thread has replies then it is assumed someone is taking care of it and your thread might not get any attention.

To tell you the truth I am not sure there is anything wrong. If you are getting real packetloss the hops after the ones that show the packetloss should also show packet loss. Some routers are configured to ignore ping requests if they are busy or just in general. You are getting good pings beyond the "problem" ones so, could be everything is working ok. If you just pinged your final destination you would not see a problem. Are you having latency issues with that server or difficulties connecting to it?

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

Well guys the original poster gave me his DSL number and I found the following

------------> 10/24/2006 6:44:34 PM <-----------
SPEED PROFILE 6016/3008 55
SYNC OPEN------>NOERROR
SYNC STATUS---->NORMAL ATU-R PWR-> ON
LINKDN STATUS-->NORMAL DSL STATE-> SYNC
LINKDGR STATUS->NORMAL STATUS-> IS
PSTAT-> IS-NR
DOWNSTREAM <-> UPSTREAM
CAPACITY CAP 98.0 <-> 82.0
NOISE MARGIN NOI 5.0 <-> 11.5
TRANSMISSION PWR PWR 16.0 <-> 12.0
SIGNAL ATTENUATION ATT 31.5 <-> 15.0
RATE SPD 6016F <-> 768F

Got one alarm on you to:
INTERFERENCE Single frequency interferers
were found at 280, 543, 573, 625, 664,
702, 733, 823, 853, 875, 884, 892, 914,
974, 1022 kHz . Excessive single frequency
interferences may be due to more than 100 feet of
unbonded/ungrounded cable or premises wiring.

Your upper level frequencies are just about all over the place as far as bits per channel. I am afraid I am going to have to agree with the porpoise as far as pinging, some of SBC/AT&T's hops do not respond to pings. Best thing to look at is the traceroute times through them. They are starting to degrade pinging for more better purposes.

Wanna plug this modem in at the nid/sni/gray test jack and see if this signal improves out there?