Search similar:

uniqs

Auburn232
@fusionbroadband.net

Auburn232

Anon

Wireless network set up help.

Hey guys,

I've got a quick question that is probably easily answered. First off the apartment complex that I live in supplies us with a wireless internet connection via a company named pavlov media. In order to get a PC onto this network you have to register the computer through the prompts once it is connected. That is all well and fine as my laptop has no problem connecting.

The problem comes as I've got a desktop that I'd like to get connected to the network as well. However it appears as though the network is setup to allow only one access point per registered user. I was told by someone I could pick up a wireless client router, though it appears using the client router that I can still only pull in the one signal that I have registered and create an ethernet hardline to my desktop, essentially taking my laptop off the network.

Is there anyway I can take my Client router, pullin the signal having the MAC address of the router registered and instead of running the ethernet line to the desktop just run it into an ethernet line for a wireless router essentially creating my "own" wireless network from which I can draw signals to connect both my laptop and desktop (the desktop has a LAN connection as well as a wireless G card)?

Thanks
efflandt
join:2002-01-25
Elgin, IL

efflandt

Not all wireless routers can act as a wireless client. On some the wireless only works as an access point. But I do not know of any router that would work as a wireless client and access point at the same time (not sure about Linksys travel router). So you might need 2 wireless devices, where one or the other would be a wireless client, and either that or the other device would do NAT

For example I have a Zyxel P-330 (which CompUSA calls P-330C). In my case I am using it as wireless client bridge, to connect to my wireless router. But it also has what it calls wireless ISP mode, where it can do NAT behind its wireless client. But you would also need another similar device or a regular access point for you laptop to connect to.

Auburn232
@fusionbroadband.net

Auburn232 to Auburn232

Anon

to Auburn232
I've got a wireless router right now that has the ability to act as a wireless client (D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G730AP Wireless Pocket Router/AP)..

So if I pick up another router that has an A/P feature, I'll be able to take the signal my D-Link is pulling in as a client router and send that out via an Access Point router, if that makes sense.