uniqs
fitsun3
Premium Member
join:2003-09-20
Lake Villa, IL

fitsun3

Premium Member

Toyota Avalon Keyless Remote Stopped Working

Can somebody please help? I have a 2000 Toyota Avalon with a factory equipped keyless remote entry. One day I went to use the remote to open the trunk. It took an unusually long time for the trunk to respond to the remote. The trunk did open but after a long time of holding down the trunk button. I then proceeded to unlock the doors also using the remote. I was not able to unlock the doors or use any other function of the remote. It just stopped working. I changed the battery in the remote but that did not help. I had a second remote and that did not work. I installed a new battery in the second remote but no luck. One of my friends told me that maybe the remote receiver has to be reprogrammed. I don’t know how to do this or even where to start. I was hoping that someone here might tell me how to reprogram the remote for this car. Maybe someone might have a better answer as to why the remote would have failed. I checked all the fuses and they look good to me. Everything else on the car works. (Except the CD player that broke a while ago) Any help please. Thanks

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

. Make sure the vehicle is in the following conditions--
_ a. The key is NOT inserted in the ignition switch.
_ b. Drivers door is open (all other doors are closed)
c. The Drivers door is UNLOCKED.

2. Insert the key into the ignition switch, then pull it out.

3. Press the Door lock switch on the Drivers door from Lock to Unlock 5
times.
Like this: Lock, Unlock = 1

4. Close the Drivers door and open it.

5. Repeat step 3

6. Insert the key into ignition switch and turn 2 times to the "run"
position and then back, repeat.

7. Pull the key out of the ignition switch, the ECU should verify the above
completed steps by locking and unlocking the door locks twice. (if not
repeat the above 1-6 sequence)

8. Press the "Lock" and "Unlock" buttons on the remote together for at least
1/2 second. Then press either button and hold for more than 1 second and
release.

9. If steps are done correctly the ECU will "Lock" and "Unlock" the doors
once to confirm. **NOTE**: If you want to program more than one remote you
must do it at this point by repeating step 8 with another remote. (if
nothing happens then repeat ALL 8 steps)

10. Close the Drivers door and test all remotes.

This is reprogramming if this doesnt work let me know.
fitsun3
Premium Member
Lake Villa, IL

fitsun3

Premium Member

I will try it. What is a "ECU" Thanks

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to fitsun3

MVM

to fitsun3
Electronic Control Unit
fitsun3
Premium Member
Lake Villa, IL

fitsun3 to hayabusa3303

Premium Member

to hayabusa3303
hayabusa3303, Thanks very much for the information That was great of you. I followed the direction you gave me and everything seemed to go as you explained. I received the conformation you explained in # 7 After completing #8 if I try the remote before I close the driver door the door locks and unlocks twice. If I close the door the remotes stop working. Do you have any suggestions please. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I tried this three times with the same results in the end. I am going to try it again.

3SGTE Thanks for the explanation on the "ECU"
fitsun3

fitsun3 to hayabusa3303

Premium Member

to hayabusa3303
An Update, I tried it again over three times. Everything goes as planed for one exception. In #9 you say that if everything goes OK the ECU will lock and unlock the door once. The ECU locks and unlocks the door twice. If I close the door before I try the remote nothing happens. If I try the remote before I close the door the door unlocks and unlocks twice. It will unlock and unlock twice with every push of the buttons. As soon as I close the door the remote does nothing. I really appreciate your help

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound

Premium Member

Hey neighbor.
If you can't get it working over the weekend, I've got a guy here in Antioch that can fix anything. Let me know, and I'll take you to his house/shop next week. I'm too busy on the weekends to help you out now.
He lives near 83 and North Avenue.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

Try this one This is for the camry which is the same as the avalon u have.

1. Driver door open and unlocked. Key out of the ignition
2. Insert the key and remove 2 times in 5 sec.
3. Close and open driver door 2 times in 40 sec.
4. Insert the key and remove it again from ignition.
5. Close and open driver door 2 times in 40 sec.
6. Insert the key in ignition,
7. Close the door,
8. Turn to on and back to lock in 1 second intervals. 1 time for add, 2 times for rewrite, 3 for confirmation 5 for prohibition. (yes, there is no “4”)
9. Remove the key
10. Power lock will cycle to confirm
11. For add or rewrite mode within 40 sec of the confirmation,
A. press “lock” and “unlock” buttons of the FOB at the same time between 1 and 1.5 seconds.
B. within 3 sec press “Lock” button for more than 1 sec and release.
C. If it’s correct, the power door lock will cycle once. If it’s wrong the door lock will cycle twice
hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

This is for a 4runner try this alot of toyota ECMS are the same.

In step 8 -- I held the lock button instead of the unlock button in order for the directions to work.

Step 1 - open drivers side door and get in your vehicle.

Step 2 - put key completely into ignition,then pull out.

Step 3- with door open, lock and unlock 5 times on door console (ten clicks total).

Step 4 - close door then open door.

Step 5 - lock and unlock 5 times on door console (ten clicks total).

Step 6 - put key completely into ignition then turn to the on position then pull key out (you will now hear the door locks lock then unlock a couple of times)

Step 7 - now quickly press the lock and unlock buttons at the same time only for about a second.

Step 8 - then quickly press the lock button for just a second.

Step 9 - exit car and close the door

if none of these work i need the FCC id on the back of the remote.
hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 to fitsun3

Premium Member

to fitsun3
This is for the avalon but i dont know the FCC id so im posting all these for you try to get it to work. Toyota changed the FCC id so much its stupid.

Key out
Driver door open and unlocked
Insert key into ignition and pull out
Lock then unlock the power locks from the master switch 5 times
Close and then open the driver's door
Lock then unlock the power locks from the master switch 5 times
Insert the key into the ignition and turn to ON then OFF, then remove key
Locks should cycle - If they don't repeat
Press both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1 second
Immediately after letting go of the two buttons, press the LOCK button for 2 seconds
The locks should then cycle once. If they cycle twice, try again.
Close the driver door
fitsun3
Premium Member
Lake Villa, IL

1 edit

fitsun3

Premium Member

hayabusa3303, Directions 1,3,4 all have the same results. Upon conformation, instead of the locks locking and unlocking once they lock ans unlock twice. Pressing the unlock on the remote cycles the lock and unlock twice. When the door is closed all remote functions stop. In your directions #2 nothing happens. No conformation as with the others. Please post if you have any others. Thanks again
fitsun3

fitsun3 to Asiabound

Premium Member

to Asiabound
Chinabouund, I would love to take you up on your offer but I just lost my job two weeks ago. I really have to be careful where I spend my money right now. Maybe If hayabusa3303 can't help I will have to take you up on your offer if it does not cost a lot. I'm hoping hayabusa3303 can help out. I really appreciate all he had done so far. I really thank him for his help

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound

Premium Member

Hell, if it is just a simple fix, give the cat a six pack of Michelob. He'll be happy.
Let me know.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303 to fitsun3

Premium Member

to fitsun3
If you have 2 remotes make sure you have both remotes ready.
open drivers side door
stick the key in the ignition then pull it out
lock and unlock the door 5 times (that's 10 times that you have to press the button) It should be completed with door unlocked.
shut and then open the door
lock and unlock the door 5 times(that's 10 times that you have to press the button) It should be completed with door unlocked.

stick the key in the ignition and turn to on then off then on then off
pull the key out of the ignition
you should hear the door locks go lock\unlock twice
press the two top buttons on the remote for 1 second
then press the unlock button by itself for 1 second, timing may vary
Now for the second remote,
press the two top buttons on the remote for 1 second, then press the unlock button by itself for 1 second. You should then hear one unlock\lock indicating success. If you hear two unlock\locks then you have to start over. After you have completed the program of both remotes, put the key in the ignition and pull it out. Your remotes are now programmed.
fitsun3
Premium Member
Lake Villa, IL

fitsun3

Premium Member

It does the same as the others. Instead of getting the one lock and unlock conformation I two lock, unlocks. I know I'm doing it as stated. I'm also doing it over and over just in case I missed something. Do you think something else might be wrong?