Search similar:

uniqs

Beelzebub1
United We Stand
join:2001-07-29
Bronx, NY

Beelzebub1

After Paint Job question...

Hey guys I have a question I just recently purchased my first car and I want to get it painted in all black but I was wondering after I get it painted is there any other major steps to take via the DMV besides updating the registration? Some people tell me I'm crazy for getting it painted when I just registered the vehicle so I'm confused I mean is there a huge charge or something?

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

Not that I know of, they prob think its a big investment when you could have just bought a black car to begin with. Quite frankly it is, you need to weight the cost of the job versus the value of the car. If it was a classic then by all means go ahead. But you need massive prep especially if it a differrent color, remove all trim, get some tooth to the paint or total removal and prime, and figure how many coats and if you want clear coat. Of course if you really want to go the whole nine yards remove everything to get a good coverage. Doors,hood, trunk,etc,etc.

Beelzebub1
United We Stand
join:2001-07-29
Bronx, NY

3 edits

Beelzebub1

well to be honest it doesn't necessarily need to be black right now the color is "Tan" but it has certain spots on the roof/hood as if it had been sanded other than that the body is great and the inside looks great so I'm not sure if I should just consider touch up paint or? I mean the paint it has now looks kinda dull period like no shine at all the car is a Mazda 1993 626 ES it's basically the same as this one »auto.consumerguide.com/a ··· id/2063/ same color etc...

My main questions are:

Would I have to pay for new tittle again also or just registration? How long do I have before I re-register after its painted?

What do you guys think about Earl Scheib Pro 3 Package?

Thanks in advance

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Have you tried waxing it? The spots which look like they were sanded may need polishing compound but if they are the same basic color just wax may get it looking good. More than likely you can get it looking almost new with just a little work. If you repaint it will be much better to go back with the original color or close to it. What is it going to look like when a door hits it in a parking lot and the black chips and you see the tan under it?

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Beelzebub1

Premium Member

to Beelzebub1
Another thing to think about.. Black (and most real dark colours) is very unforgiving about prep. Small spots and dings and any blemishes in the paint will show up, and stand out.

Plus, depending on where you live, the colour of your vehicle can actually affect your insurance rate. Black and red are the highest, 'round here...

I would agree with the suggestion of trying to buff it out and wax, or if you do want to repaint, try and stay light, there will be less prep involved.

My $0.02 - Laz
18172841 (banned)
join:2001-10-06
Lagrangeville, NY

18172841 (banned) to Beelzebub1

to Beelzebub1
When I got my first car I wanted to paint it black too. Its not worth the money, save the money you were going to spend having it painted for a newer car that is already black. Although if you want to get it painted as other people said it’s a large job, as for the title you can try »www.nydmv.state.ny.us/

I would guess you need a new title to reflect the new color.