how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cgar

join:2006-06-26
Lewis Center, OH

Snowbird/ part time service

Hi, my parents have a winter home in Fort Myers and would like to have high speed internet for 6/months out of the year. They keep their phone on all year but do not want to have to pay for internet for the whole year also.

Anyone else have this situation or any advice?

Thanks.

Dezbend
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-20

There is vacation service available with the DSL, but your entire account needs to be put on vacation - so that probably will not work out for you.

There also is a month-to-month option to the DSL. The monthly price is $10-$20 more, but you can cancel without penalty.
--
If it is not recorded, it simply does not exist.

cgar

Lewis Center, OH

How does vacations service work? What happens when someone calls?

Dezbend
Premium,MVM

Putting your phone on vacation suspends service for 1-6 months at a discounted monthly charge. You have no dial tone, but your account remains active (that is the phone number is still yours, you do not break any term agreements). When you turn the phone back on the activation fee is waived or reduced.
--

hazezilla

join:2006-02-19
reply to cgar

NOTE:

With DSL you may lose your port, DSL connection.

It happen here a lot with vacation homes. Its OK as long as there is a large supply of ports available.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to Dezbend

When I worked for AT&T Wireless, if someone was on contract and put their service in vacation mode their contract would be extended the length they were on vacation. Is this true from Embarq as well?

Dezbend
Premium,MVM

No, the term is still a year even if you go on vacation for a portion of it.

Just to be clear, you are still get a monthly bill (at a discounted rate) while on vacation... I think the DSL portion is $15.00.
--

cgar

Lewis Center, OH

1 recommendation

Thanks. Talking with Embarq it looks like I can go month to month for an extra $5 per month. Which seems a lot easier.

Dezbend
Premium,MVM

cool I am glad you found a good solution