pfk505
join:2005-12-06
Victoria, BC

pfk505 to Cartel

to Cartel

Re: Telus High Speed Extreme 6.0

quote:
I got my service today and am using the 300g
awesome.. now just to wait till i can get a port!

JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79 to goglay

Premium Member

to goglay
pm me your number and I'll double check from my side
JammerMan79

1 edit

JammerMan79 to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
**drooling**

parallel_jay
join:2006-02-08
Edmonton, AB

parallel_jay to goglay

to goglay
said by goglay:

I was wondering if psydfx or jammerman could double check my account for me. I wouldn't want you guys to send a technician out and find out later that it was something that can fixed on your end.
When they say they're sending out a technician, it doesn't mean it is something on your end or that the technician will necessarily be coming out to your house. The reason they are sending out a technician is that neither the Tech Support Rep you spoke to, nor the Network Support (Tier II) person he SHOULD HAVE live checked the issue with were able to get your modem to sync up at the proper rates. The technician will check the CO first, and the intervening equipment between the CO and your residence and will check TELUS side stuff FIRST. At least that's what they supposed to do. I've seen some dispatches I've sent out....well best not put those stories up here.
goglay
join:2006-08-03
Surrey, BC

goglay to bokchoy2

to bokchoy2
the reason I said that was because the CSR actually informed me that the technician will come over to my place.
the CSR seemed a little uncertaina about the questions I asked him about the 6.0 (I asked him some questions about the new adsl2+ port.. etc). I thought I'd asked someone more experienced/knolwedged to double check for me to they don't end up sending someone out on sunday for nothing.

tony0509
@telus.net

tony0509 to bokchoy2

Anon

to bokchoy2
psydfx

when you tested 6.0 line with 950, did it sync at 6.0 with higher attainable or did they set it up with higher profile like they did with 3.0?

and I thought only thomson and 2 wire were compatible with 2+ports but it looks like ppl here are getting 6.0 with old modems as well..

Stormscape
Premium Member
join:2006-07-10
Burnaby, BC

Stormscape

Premium Member

Good point, if I wanted to get the 6/1 service, I'd need a modem that's ADSL2+ then. I only have a Linksys ME3.
psydfx
join:2002-12-20
Canada

psydfx to tony0509

to tony0509
It wasn't actually a 6.0Mbps service I was hooking up. It was only 3.0Mbps. It just happened to be on an ERA that is ADSL2+ so when I tested it with my Dynatel it showed an attainable of 22Mbps. Nothing to do with the profile or actual sync rate, just what is possible for them if provisioned the port for it.

As for the modems, ADSL2+ ports are backwards compatible with DMT2 modems. So you can use a DMT2 modem on an ADSL2+ port, you just won't be able to attain anything higher than 8Mbps. Being that 6Mbps is within the limitations of DMT2 you will still get the speed. You're better off having a 2wire or Thompson though for the HSX service.

psydfx
psydfx

psydfx to bokchoy2

to bokchoy2
goplay: You're on the 6.0Mbps service and on an ADSL2+ port. However you don't seem to be able to get over 3Mbps, could be a wiring issue or a cable length issue. Your line tests clean, but who knows. Have the tech come out and check it out. Don't get your hopes up though, you might be out of luck for the time being.

psydfx

tony0509
@telus.net

tony0509 to bokchoy2

Anon

to bokchoy2
so you're saying if 2+ ports were synced with old modems they could lose some characteristics of adsl2+? I was told adsl2+,besides the higher bandwidth, can auto correct the frequency range so it always maintains the sync in case there is a fluctuation on the line due to noise and other form of interference. am I correct in assuming this is the case then?
psydfx
join:2002-12-20
Canada

psydfx to bokchoy2

to bokchoy2
If you sync a non-ADSL2+ compliant modem (such as a 300g) to an ADSL2+ port it is the same as syncing to a DMT2 port.

So yes, you lose functionality. If there is noise in a frequency on a standard ADSL port, it stops using that frequency and your speed with degrade. ADSL2+ is rate adaptive so it will recheck those frequencies occasionally to see if they are still noisy and use them if they're not, maintaining speeds without having to resync the modem. ADSL2+ also uses double the frequency as standard ADSL, this is what allows the much higher speed.

psydfx
mashimaro_bo
join:2003-11-26
Richmond, BC

mashimaro_bo to bokchoy2

to bokchoy2
So what's up with the upload?

Why isn't it 1MB?

Rather it seems to be between 400-700kbps....

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

1 edit

Cartel to bokchoy2

Premium Member

to bokchoy2
I use the 300G I got with 1.5 three years ago.
I get the same or better than the big lumpy 2wire.
I get smooth, reliable speeds, 24\7

Ya I notice the low uploads on both modems
oilernut
join:2006-09-26

oilernut to bokchoy2

to bokchoy2
What is the general consensus on the telus 6mbit line? Is there any problems with slow speeds? I am currently getting 1mbps on shaw with extreme, they informed me that the network in my area is overloaded but won't give me any timeline on when they will fix it so I was thinking about switching to telus.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

The E

Premium Member

Oilernut;

Why don't you just drop the Xtreme and go with the regular High Speed @ 5.0Mb/s? It'll save you some money and once the issue is fixed you can go back without any hassle.

lucky644
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04

lucky644 to oilernut

Premium Member

to oilernut
said by oilernut:

What is the general consensus on the telus 6mbit line? Is there any problems with slow speeds? I am currently getting 1mbps on shaw with extreme, they informed me that the network in my area is overloaded but won't give me any timeline on when they will fix it so I was thinking about switching to telus.
I can only speak for myself, but I get consistent speeds around 6mbps

siberx4
Bandwidth hog
join:2004-10-19
West Vancouver, BC

siberx4 to bokchoy2

to bokchoy2
Most of the people lucky enough to have the 6mbps telus connections seem to be getting either the full 6 or pretty darn close to it. Any word on current coverage or how things are going in the way of increasing the current number of "6.0-ready" connections? (It irks me because I know my ADSL1 port has a good enough signal to give me 6mbps downstream no problem, but telus won't set you up on it unless you're on an ADSL2+ port.

lucky644
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04

lucky644

Premium Member

said by siberx4:

Most of the people lucky enough to have the 6mbps telus connections seem to be getting either the full 6 or pretty darn close to it. Any word on current coverage or how things are going in the way of increasing the current number of "6.0-ready" connections? (It irks me because I know my ADSL1 port has a good enough signal to give me 6mbps downstream no problem, but telus won't set you up on it unless you're on an ADSL2+ port.
I think they want to roll it out a bit slowly perhaps, which is why they only offer it to current enhanced 3.0 subscribers.
pfk505
join:2005-12-06
Victoria, BC

pfk505 to bokchoy2

to bokchoy2
said by siberx4 :
It irks me because I know my ADSL1 port has a good enough signal to give me 6mbps downstream no problem, but telus won't set you up on it unless you're on an ADSL2+ port.
same here :/
oilernut
join:2006-09-26

oilernut to The E

to The E
I would do that but I would still be at 1mbps and I would be surprised if they fix the issue before the end of the year.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to bokchoy2

Premium Member

to bokchoy2
I get good speeds 24/7, and allways did with telus.

goglay
join:2006-08-03
Surrey, BC

goglay to bokchoy2

to bokchoy2
the technician came over today, turns out that although I am on the ADSL2+ port, I am too far out to get 6.0mbps

I wonder whats going to happen when ADSL2+ comes out, I really need as fast of a connection as possible

MetroBoy
@telus.net

MetroBoy

Anon

Anyone from Metrotown area have 6.0 speed already?I phoned them last week and CS said call back in about 2 weeks to check again.

sergers
@telus.net

sergers to bokchoy2

Anon

to bokchoy2
not available in my area yet...

stupid rep said it was only offered to new customers, i got her to transfer me to someone else, as she had no clue what she was talking about.

got told its not available in my area, no clue when it will bei live in new westminster (10th ave & stewardson way)

omgomg
@telus.net

omgomg

Anon

not available in my area as well.

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

1 edit

Kitlope to bokchoy2

to bokchoy2
I just got the new Telus 6 mb line and it was activated about an hour ago. I was originally on the 1.5, upgraded to Home Networking then last month to Enhanced and now because I'm in downtown Edmonton eligible for the 6 mb.

Thanks to this thread for making me aware of this new plan, otherwise I would have never known with it being a soft roll out and all. Double the speed for 5 bucks a month is not a bad improvement at all.

tkmckay
Premium Member
join:2002-01-01
Calgary, AB

tkmckay to bokchoy2

Premium Member

to bokchoy2
Nice to see what appears to be the first Alberta bases Extreme upgrade.

When people get the upgrade could you please post roughly where your located to give an indication to everyone when they may see its availability.... as an example: if someone sees allot of people being able to upgrade to it in SW Calgary they might wish to phone to see if they too can upgrade. Thx in advance!

Lakebottom
Future Fishermen are Friendly
join:2006-10-28
Sylvan Lake, AB

Lakebottom

Have you inquired about your location?
I'm not able to receive the service as of last week.

here was my last test:
Download Speed: 2794 kbps (349.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 634 kbps (79.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
3000/640 service

2WireGuy
@telus.net

2WireGuy

Anon

Just inquired about Extreme 6.0, it's available in Capitol Hill area of Burnaby, BC.
Kilumnati
join:2006-11-09
CANADA

Kilumnati

anyone in the South East Vancouver area got the 6mbit yet?