uniqs
share rss forum feed

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

Deliberately Confusing

Incumbents telegraph and cable companies are not banning towns from wiring themselves. They are simply lobbying to ensure that no state or local government wastes taxpayer money on providing broadband.

If people in these towns want broadband, there is nothing stopping them from pooling their own money and forming their own private venture to deploy broadband.
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit

Re: Deliberately Confusing

said by pnh102:

They are simply lobbying to ensure that no state or local government wastes taxpayer money on providing broadband.
in effect, banning towns from wiring themselves.

tsu9

join:2001-08-17
Wheeling, IL

And thus, from obtaining any hope of service.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

said by tsu9:

And thus, from obtaining any hope of service.
How?

Again. Nothing is stopping private individuals from using their own money to provide themselves with broadband. Banning the government from building a broadband network has no impact on private individuals from doing the same.
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.

karlmarx

join:2006-09-18
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

Ummm.. the government is composed of private individuals. At least in the blue states that is. See, I am a citizen of my town. My town provides me with services I deem necessary. My town provides me with electricity through a MUNICIPAL power plant (at a 40% savings vs the next town over that uses a CORPORATE power plant). My town voted for, and approved the rollout of a fiber network to every home in town. We, the 'private citizens' chose to use the government to represent us. The fact that it's the government has no bearing, because we, the private individuals decided as a group we wanted broadband. The only LOSER in my town, of course, is comcast, who didn't want to wire the town in the first place. But comcast isn't a citizen of my town, so we tell comcast to go F*CK themselves.
--
Stick it to the MAN. Support your local torrent sites. Proudly providing 10mb of upstream for all your TV, Movie, and MP3 needs.
houselog442

join:2005-10-05

1 recommendation

So why is it that anything municipal is good and corporate is bad? This sounds like a giant lie to promote communism. Communism is a total failure at all levels. The government power plant may say an individual some money on their electric bill but they are spreading the cost to nail other people. They want to run all business's so that they, the communists can control people better. Every communist run business is a failure. Even the Post Office is an inefficient, poorly run, union controlled, communist organization. I wish all these useful idiots to communism would move to their utopia country of North Korea and let the rest of us, superior people, run a much better capitalist society without the communist losers try to take us down because they are the trash of society!

appaler

@adsl.alicedsl.de

i am appaled i guess

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
You are not answering my question. If a town is forbidden from rolling its own broadband service, how does this stop private individuals from doing it themselves?
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.
Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV

Please explain to me the difference:

Town decides to pave every driveway within the town limits.

Town puts the driveway paving to a vote.

Voters approve it.

Town issues bonds to cover the cost.

VS.

Town decides to put in a Municipal broadband system.

Town puts the Municipal broadband system to a vote.

Voters approve it.

Town issues bonds to cover the cost.

JakCrow

join:2001-12-06
Palo Alto, CA
Uh. No. They're not...
Timmn

Tinley Park, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV
"Wastes taxpayer Money"? Isn't that what Government does?

With a little research, which I don't have the time to do at the moment, I could probably come up with several hundred ways the government, local, state, and federal, waste money. More than likely, they are all a bigger waste of money than providing municipal broadband.

The only reason the incumbents are against it is because that they might want to service that area someday, however, someday may be the year 2065.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

said by Timmn:

"Wastes taxpayer Money"? Isn't that what Government does?
And why should it be allowed to waste more than necessary?
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.
Timmn

Tinley Park, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV

My point being, that with all the money being wasted by the government on pork barrel projects, contractors lining their pockets at taxpayer expense, providing municipal broadband, which, by the way, might do many people some good, would be a drop in the bucket.

Frankly, in areas where the incumbents feel they cannot, or will not, provide service, I find nothing wrong with it.