uniqs

Lex Luthor
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY

Lex Luthor

Mod

Windows Defender Annoyance

I just noticed a new annoyance in Windows Defender final version.

I have the system tray icon set to only appear if there's an alert.

In any earlier beta of Windows Defender, it put a system tray alert if you hadn't run a full scan in something like 6 days.

In the most recent beta, that notification was eliminated regardless of when the last full scan was.

Now, unfortunately, it's back where if you don't run a full scan, it puts an alert in the system tray. I haven't figure out the exact time period trigger yet. I guess it's however long it's been since it was released and today.

Why am I forced to run a full scan now? It's really too bad that they had to put that back in. Once of the PCs I run it on, isn't on at consistant times so I really can't schedule a scan.

Maybe I'm missing something, does anyone know how I can make it not alert me if I haven't run a full scan in a while?
Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor

Mod

Anyone else notice this same change?

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

HA Nut to Lex Luthor

Premium Member

to Lex Luthor
I don't remember getting any notices for a Full Scan. I do get notices for doing a scan if I haven't ran one for a while (I think it's approx. every 10 days.) On my work PC, I finally gave in and set it to do a quick scan once a week.

Lex Luthor
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY

1 edit

Lex Luthor

Mod

Maybe it's not a "full" scan, but it does now bug me to do a scan. The first beta did this, the last beta didn't, so it's unfortunate that they had to put that back in, I think.

Anyone know if it's possible to disable that notification?

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

HA Nut to Lex Luthor

Premium Member

to Lex Luthor
I don't think I've ever read anything that tells how to get around something like that. The MS Defender newsgroup website has several places to post. I didn't take the time to see if this has been noted. (I'm not sure if anyone from the Defender team monitors the web pages anymore.) »www.microsoft.com/athome ··· ult.mspx

FWIW, I was greatly displeased to learn that Defender only runs correctly on Admin accounts. MS says the real-time scanner works for Limited users but it only finds problems. It can't fix them...
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo

I hate how windows defender, while disabled, still shows updates as "critical" on windows update in Vista. Very annoying to see a update and its just a stupid def file.