Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:19
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits

[Info] Extended Pacific Northwest Line Monitoring SignUps

Justin has given us the ability to group line monitors together for the purposes of looking at an area's ISPs. Members of a group get free, as in no TP deduction, line monitoring services for now.

»Re: I'm dedicating most code changes/improvements to ..

Would anyone living in the EPN area be interested in this if I started a group for our forum? You can find an example of a group here.

Line monitoring is not very hard to set up. The FAQ about it can be found here.
--
Team Helix ~ EPN ~ Boston ~ Northern California

DanHo
Premium
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA

[Info] Re: [ALL] Something new

I would be interested. Although, I would think you would want them clumped closer together than just having it be everyone in EPN. Maybe you already thought of that and I just misread.
--
Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant!

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Reviews:
·Comcast
I don't think I can do that but I can limit my invites to those who live in the area our forum covers. That's the way it is in the Northern California Forum and it seems to work.

There are groups for ISP areas also. Here's an example of one of them:

»/testhistory?view=1

I would also put our Group link in our sidebar here.
--

Beringse
Over 1 billion fishsticks caught
Premium
join:2003-11-20
Sequim, WA
Already have line monitoring going but sure, bring it on...
--
Leos rule!

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
On my way to start our group. I'll send you an invite when I'm done. You will need to accept it and then I will accept you if you promise not to turn the link pink.

Group started and sidebar to it added to our front page. Anyone else who wants to participate, either post here or send me an IM so that I can invite you. You then will need to accept the invitation. It will take a few if you are just starting line monitoring.
--

DanHo
Premium
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA
reply to sashwa
Add me to the list.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
Invite sent. Just accept it.

Timmy, you need to go to »/prefs/flair and choose "My home connection" from the drop down menu and follow the directions.

--

Stooges Fan
Premium
join:2002-10-18
reply to sashwa
I feel like that red headed stepchild.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
I'm sorry but red headed children are cute though. We still lub ya and consider you part of the forum.

Ask your mod in the Southern California Forum about it. Maybe they will start a group there. Also check with your ISP provider forum about getting one started.

Now I'm off to hide so those Mods can't beat me up.
--

Beringse
Over 1 billion fishsticks caught
Premium
join:2003-11-20
Sequim, WA

1 recommendation

reply to sashwa
OT but just figured out that a 2.4 Bluetooth mouse and a 2.4 WAP slow down the signal. Always wondered why the TV room laptop was slower
--
Leos rule!

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sashwa
There is no limit to the number of group members. The more the merrier. I just need to know when someone has their line monitoring set up so that I can send an invite to them. So either post here or send me an IM when you set-up your line monitoring so that I can send you an invite.

Go here to set-up line monitoring: »/schedule/signup/0

For additional help: »Line Monitoring FAQ
--

DonoftheDead
Premium
join:2004-07-12
Clinton, WA
reply to sashwa
Cool, man! I would like an invite too, please.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Reviews:
·Comcast
Is your line monitoring all setup and working? If not, please do that first and then let me know so I can send out an invite to ya.

Make sure you also go to »/prefs/flair and select "My home connection" and enter the info there. It will appear by your graph so that others will know what service, etc you have.
--

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to sashwa
I'm up for it Sash! So you say it won't cost the normal $1 a week? I have had it before, but I let it drop after I ran out of tool points.

We have Adelphia HSI (owned by Comcast here as of August 1st), and will be transitioned over to Comcast soon with the Comcast buyout of Adelphia in Mendocino County. Adelphia has gone to a mix of Time Warner and Comcast across the nation.
--
See the BOOMING railroads of today&tommorrow
»www.gorail.org
See HEAVY DUTY freight&passenger action@ the Galesburg, IL RailCam! »205.245.189.161:1100/
THE BEST way2travel-
»www.amtrak.com
»www.amtrakcalifornia.com

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Reviews:
·Comcast
As long as you belong to a group, it won't cost ya. Get yourself setup and post back when you are. I'll send you an invite then.

What I would like is for everyone to add their city and state in the public comments of your line monitor. But that's a personal choice.

Make sure you also go to »/prefs/flair and select "My home connection" and enter the info there. It will appear by your graph so that others will know what service, etc you have.
--

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to sashwa

That's my Monitor Number Sash, count me in!

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Invite sent to RR Conductor See Profile.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

1 edit
reply to sashwa
Thanks Sash, got it and accepted, I'm in, woo hoo!

Edit-How long does it take to turn back on? I accepted the invite, but my monitor is still showing as suspended.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Reviews:
·Comcast
Mike you need to setup your line monitoring. I see you accepted but don't see your graph. If you had one before and stopped it, you need to sign up all over again. It doesn't happen just with you accepting the invite.
--

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
Ahh, okay, I set it up again, brb

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

1 edit
Okay, got it set up Line monitor #230577

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium
join:2002-08-26
PNW
reply to sashwa

[Info] Re: [ALL] Something new for our Forum

If I did it right, I"m set up.

Owlbet
Ignite the Ice
Premium,MVM
join:2002-09-24
Palmer, AK
reply to sashwa
sashwa See Profile sent me the invite and I accepted it before setting up the DNS client. I am using a PPPoE connection to connect to my ISP. After reading the FAQ, I'm thoroughly (and I mean thoroughly) confused by what DNS client to use, but I ended up downloading, installing, then uninstalling the DynSite one. When the setup screen showed up in DynSite for devices to be configured (network card) is where this whole process lost me. I need help with DNS client setup.

I've looked at some of the speeds shown on the various line monitors set up in the EPN forum. I wonder if it is really worth it for me to set up line monitoring as I am barely broadband at 512/512 up/down.

I did set up DSLR's Line Monitoring. That part was easy. The line number is 230628. It will start monitoring once it has my dynamic IP. I have no more time tonight to devote to this endeavour and I shall return tomorrow to get this up and running

Gotta love technology!

--
Follow the Alaska Aces on their quest for the 2007 Kelly Cup. The puck drops here.
2006-2007 Record: 4-2-0

marvin1
The Atkisson Fortress
Premium
join:2000-05-19
Lynnwood, WA
reply to sashwa
Sure...I would be

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Invite sent to marvin1 See Profile.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
reply to Owlbet
Owlbet, I use DeeEnEss and found it very easy to use.

»Line Monitoring FAQ »How do I configure DeeEnEs?

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to sashwa
I just found something out last night about the line monitoring and forgot to post it.

There is no need for third party software - if your IP changes, you can always edit your monitor to reflect the new IP.

You just need to do 2 things:

1) enter static IP
2) check the "dynamic" box

You must do both.

So don't let having a dynamic IP stop you from joining in.
--

Gizy
Premium
PNW
Oh sure....now you tell us
Once you learn to READ ALL the directions, it was simple to set up. Thanks for doing this for us!!

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
reply to sashwa
Why did I know someone in this forum would get all over my case about my forgetfulness?

Gizy
Premium
PNW
Because we love you