Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

1 recommendation

N3OGH

Premium Member

Not much will change...

Not much will change over this. The President is still the person who nominates an individual to a position like the FCC board.

The Democrats can promise the world, but can't deliver without a veto proof majority. They can tell you they're going to do everything from "fix" social security, to cure AIDS, to speeding up the harvest and transporting you off this rock, but as long as Bush sits in the white house, he has the power to veto it.

Click....clickclick...Click.

Yep, I think that's Bush's veto pen coming out.....

Americans like divided government. Things will slow down in Washington for a while, and that's probably a good thing...

Alpine6
Premium Member
join:2000-01-11
Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

Alpine6

Premium Member

said by N3OGH:

Americans like divided government. Things will slow down in Washington for a while, and that's probably a good thing...
+1

I'm all for divided government. Each party has its problems. I can't stand many of the Repubs in Washington right now, but I also think many of the Dems are truly embarassments to the county and hard to take seriously (like our friend KarlMarx.)

But checks and balances have been sorely lacking these past few years, and I'm glad we're getting back to that. I actually hope the Dems DON'T win the Sentate (though it's looking like they may) just to keep Congress divided.

Adam

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by Alpine6:

Each party has its problems. I can't stand many of the Repubs in Washington right now ...
As if there were 2. After watching 6 years of the Republicans in charge, all we have to show for our work in getting these pansies elected is a bigger government, more entitlements, insane budget deficits. We've now see people who promise even bigger government, more entitlements and far more budget deficits swept into power. In a way, nothing has really changed.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
Philly burbs

1 recommendation

N3OGH

Premium Member

said by pnh102:
said by Alpine6:

Each party has its problems. I can't stand many of the Repubs in Washington right now ...
As if there were 2. After watching 6 years of the Republicans in charge, all we have to show for our work in getting these pansies elected is a bigger government, more entitlements, insane budget deficits.
Agreed. IMHO, if the Republicans had stuck to the ideas that brought them to power in 1994, this most likely wouldn't have happened.

The problem is power corrupts, and as people spend more time in power, regardless of their affiliation, or moral fortitude, they become more and more corrupt.

More and more folks who would describe themselves as Republicans are describing themselves as Conservatives, as many of the Republicans who have ascended to the Congress in the past couple of elections sure has heck aren't Conservatives as I see 'em.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by N3OGH:

Agreed. IMHO, if the Republicans had stuck to the ideas that brought them to power in 1994, this most likely wouldn't have happened.

The problem is power corrupts, and as people spend more time in power, regardless of their affiliation, or moral fortitude, they become more and more corrupt.
The answer to this is simple. Term Limits for Congress. We've needed them for a long time. Term Limits would spare the rest of the country from the likes of Ted Stevens, Ted Kennedy and other big government senators. They would also force candidates to actually compete for these seats as well.

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?
join:2004-01-22
united state

dispatcher21 to pnh102

to pnh102
Really? In the last 6 years I see a country that hasnt been attacked since 9/11, the NYSE at records highs, lower taxes, more money in my paycheck, low interest rates and small business's expanding and growing. I guess your the glass is half empty type of guy.
dispatcher21

dispatcher21 to pnh102

to pnh102
Agree with term limits.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to dispatcher21

Premium Member

to dispatcher21
said by dispatcher21:

Really? In the last 6 years I see a country that hasnt been attacked since 9/11, the NYSE at records highs, lower taxes, more money in my paycheck, low interest rates and small business's expanding and growing.
What you say is true, but you cannot deny what I have said either. In the long term, all of this government expansion is going to screw us. Maybe not as bad as terrorism, but we will be owing everyone all over all sorts of money, and tax rates will have no option but to rise to cover the ever increasing costs of these government programs.
nasadude
join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

2 edits

nasadude to dispatcher21

to dispatcher21
said by dispatcher21:

Really? In the last 6 years I see a country that hasnt been attacked since 9/11, the NYSE at records highs, lower taxes, more money in my paycheck, low interest rates and small business's expanding and growing...
We have also seen:

bin laden still at large
cargo not inspected
borders not secure
2800 soldiers dead (and counting)
civil war in Iraq
Taliban resurgence in Afghanistan
Congressmen buggering pages
Congressmen going to jail
doubling of gas prices
several times growth in the national debt
Katrina

whew, I'm tired - is that enough?

oops, forgot - bursting of the housing bubble, a nukular Iran and N.Korea conducting the test of a nukular device

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

1 edit

1 recommendation

morbo to dispatcher21

to dispatcher21
yes, and my anti-tiger cream has also been working. i've been applying it since 9/11 and it's working! i haven't been attacked!

the NYSE will be falling/crashing shortly...just look at the ongoing housing market crash. those two follow each other.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
Philly burbs

1 recommendation

N3OGH to dispatcher21

Premium Member

to dispatcher21
said by dispatcher21:

Really? In the last 6 years I see a country that hasnt been attacked since 9/11, the NYSE at records highs, lower taxes, more money in my paycheck, low interest rates and small business's expanding and growing. I guess your the glass is half empty type of guy.
I agree with all those things, but stuff like expanded Medicare drug benefits right before the 2004 election and a failure to take a genuine stand on illegal immigration left a sour taste in my mouth. Not that it changed my vote, but I bet it let the air out of a lot of people's tires.

The expanded Medicare drug benefit was pure pandering, and it's costing a fortune. Just because someone gets old, they deserve a free ride? How about a means test. Shit, right now you and I could be paying for Ross Perot's prescription drugs just because he's "old". That's bullshit.

Why the hell are there still Mexicans pouring across the border? The Hispanic vote? More pandering. There's no reason they can't close that down and start getting the illegals outa here. I have no problem with immigrants and guest workers, but a lot the people coming across the border are criminals in Mexico. So, when they come here, they are still criminals. It's not fair to the people that apply for a visa, wait in line, and do it the right way.

I could go on, the Delay scandal (this one is still up in the air), the Mark Foley scandal (yeah, I believe no one knew about that a year ago).

If this is what the Republicans stand for, I'll stand as a Conservative first. I'm voting the person, not the party.
N3OGH

1 recommendation

N3OGH to nasadude

Premium Member

to nasadude
said by nasadude:
said by dispatcher21:

Really? In the last 6 years I see a country that hasnt been attacked since 9/11, the NYSE at records highs, lower taxes, more money in my paycheck, low interest rates and small business's expanding and growing...
We have also seen:

bin laden still at large
cargo not inspected
borders not secure
2800 soldiers dead (and counting)
civil war in Iraq
Taliban resurgence in Afghanistan
Congressmen buggering pages
Congressmen going to jail
doubling of gas prices
several times growth in the national debt
Katrina

whew, I'm tired - is that enough?

oops, forgot - bursting of the housing bubble, a nukular Iran and N.Korea conducting the test of a nukular device
Gotta call you on a few of those.

1: The cargo issue. It would be an absolute impossibility to inspect every piece of cargo that comes in to this country. The cost would be nothing short of astronomical, and it would grind commerce to a screeching halt. I used to be a Customs Inspector (for a brief period of time, I hated it anyway) and there is no way on God's green earth anyone can promise you every piece of cargo coming into this country. Any politician, pundit, or person who promises you otherwise is BULLSHITTING you, plain and simple.

2: The bursting of the housing bubble. Well, I gotta tell you, for a "bubble" to burst it has to inflate first. So, are rising home values the fault of Congress and the President? You can't have it both ways. My house was worth $200K in 1999, now it's worth $350K, and all I did was live in it.

3: The crap with Korea's been going on for years now. If I remember, a certain past administration gave them the reactors to make the fissable material to make that bomb. If I remember correctly, the North Koreans promised us not to do that. So, why should we negotiate with that maniac, when we know his word is BS. China will keep North Korea and their tiny little bomb in check, since China doesn't want all those starving North Koreans teeming across the border into China.

I don't call you on the others, as I see them as legitimate gripes, especially the out of control spending and buggering of Pages...

ieolus
Support The Clecs
join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT
Netgear R6400

ieolus to pnh102

to pnh102
LMAO! Term limits? Hello, have you READ the so-called 'Contract with America'? It called for Term limits for every one of those elected in its coattails.

How many Republicans from the class of '94 actually adhered to it? I found only 3. Good job!

morbo

morbo to N3OGH

to N3OGH
said by N3OGH:

2: The bursting of the housing bubble. Well, I gotta tell you, for a "bubble" to burst it has to inflate first. So, are rising home values the fault of Congress and the President? You can't have it both ways. My house was worth $200K in 1999, now it's worth $350K, and all I did was live in it.
uh, your house magically gaining $150k in value over 7 years isn't a bubble? normal appreciation is a few percentage points a year. where's that other $100k from?

not sure what area you live in, but expect your house's "worth" or value to drop. sell while you can...if it's not too late.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to ieolus

Premium Member

to ieolus
said by ieolus:

Hello, have you READ the so-called 'Contract with America'? It called for Term limits for every one of those elected in its coattails.
Yup, I distinctly do remember that.
said by ieolus:

How many Republicans from the class of '94 actually adhered to it? I found only 3. Good job!
Exactly my point.

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?
join:2004-01-22
united state

1 recommendation

dispatcher21 to nasadude

to nasadude
Bin Laden-Kerry wouldnt have caught him either. And if Clinton killed him on the many occasion he had a chance to, it wouldnt be a problem.

Borders not secure-Thank the democrats for this one. They somehow insist that labeling people illegal aliens and booting them back to their country of origin is violating some right and that the illegals here now should be made citizens...wrong.

Soldiers dead in Iraq-Its a war.

Civil war in Iraq-We had a civil war back in the day and look what it did for us, its not always a bad thing.

Taliban-They will again be crushed, as long as democrats dont loose their backbone and back down.

Congressman buggering pages-What the hell is buggering?The page was an adult and no wrong doing was ever proven, whats your point?

Congressman going to jail-Has happened to democrats before and will happen to both again in the future, again, whats your point.

Doubling of gas prices-?? How is this the fault of the Republican party? Gas prices went up all over the world, your telling me that the republican party has the power to influence gas prices around the world? No, that would be the oil cartel manipulating prices around the world.

Katrina-That was a problem with the inept local government in that state. They did not plan well and did not ask for assistance in time. Blame them. Also blame the retards for not leaving when told to do so. What, they couldnt leave? Again, blame the local government for leaving buses parked in the lots and getting them flooded.

N Korea-Blame Clinton for that one. He gave them the equipment to do what they are doing now. Sorry for long post
Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

1 edit

Warez_Zealot to dispatcher21

to dispatcher21
said by dispatcher21:

Agree with term limits.
I agree with you. Nothing will change. Both parties are now so corporately corrupt that at the foundation, both parties are essentially the same.

The middle and lower class will still get screwed, and corporations/politicians will further erode citizens rights, and steal their tax money to further line their greedy pockets.

Ain't American democracy great?

AtlGuy
join:2000-10-17
Marietta, GA

AtlGuy to dispatcher21

to dispatcher21
On the borders not being secure, what exactly have any of them (Dems and Republicans) done for border security? Build a fence?? Give me a freakin break. I guess neither party has read the news reports of tunnels being used to smuggle people/drugs.

I believe that both parties are spineless when it comes to that...as well as most other "real" issues that Americans care about.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
Philly burbs

N3OGH to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
That's not the point.

For there to even be a bubble, the value of real estate had to increase, as opposed to decreasing. Now, he's gonna bitch about the bubble bursting, and blame it on Bush and the Republicans.

So, my point is.

1: Who's really responsible for the increase in the value of real estate (good for some, bad for others)?

2:Who's responsible for the bubble bursting?

How can Bush and the Republicans be responsible for both?

In reality, this is what happened.

After the economic turmoil that followed the bursting of the tech bubble & 9/11, interest rates had to be lowered to historic lows to stimulate the economy. This made it possible for people to purchase houses they couldn't otherwise afford. A lot of people purchased properties as speculative investments, and not as homes. A lot of those properties were purchased with adjustable rate mortgages. As the economy improved, interest rates had to rise. As interest rates rose, a lot of these people could no long afford the home or property they purchased using an ARM and had to either re finance or sell. A lot of people had to sell, leaving a glut of properties on the market.

Less demand + More supply = Lowering prices.

The politicians really have very little to do with it. It's simply the business cycle doing what it does naturally.

We see it over and over again. In the stock market, the price of commodities like oil, gas, or FOJC (A favorite of Duke & Duke) and real estate. The guy who's in power during the up side of the cycle is the lucky guy, and the guy in power on the slide is usually labeled the slug.

Since the present people in power are the ones that were here when it happened, I guess they get both. Everyone was bragging about how much more their house was worth, now they're all crying it's Bush's fault.

Can't have it both ways. Something in the water does not compute. You can't label someone the villain and the hero all in one.

This is why we should be teaching basic economics in high school...

bolt
End of the line DSL sucks.
Premium Member
Charlestown, IN

bolt to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
While I agree term limits are needed, I believe there is a larger need for "actual" campaign finances reform. Personally, I'd like to see all campaign monies go into a large fund, which is then split by the candidates. It would be illegal to take money directly from any organization or individual. Then, the American people can see who runs the best campaign without it turning into a dash to see who can raise the most money the fastest. Of course, this will never happen.

morbo

morbo to N3OGH

to N3OGH
said by N3OGH:

For there to even be a bubble, the value of real estate had to increase, as opposed to decreasing. Now, he's gonna bitch about the bubble bursting, and blame it on Bush and the Republicans.
i thought you were saying that there wasn't a bubble. i agree with you on the bubble info and the reasoning behind it.

the real cause of the bubble? greenspan.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
Philly burbs

N3OGH

Premium Member

said by morbo:
said by N3OGH:

i thought you were saying that there wasn't a bubble. i agree with you on the bubble info and the reasoning behind it.

I would say circumstances, but you got my point, so that's cool..

morbo

morbo

it's definitely more complicated than one man.

i'm a little late to the bubble party, but better late than never.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to bolt

Premium Member

to bolt
said by bolt:

Personally, I'd like to see all campaign monies go into a large fund, which is then split by the candidates.
The only problem with this idea outside of Constitutional questions is that it does not stop interest groups from running their own ads for or against a candidate.
pnh102

pnh102 to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
said by morbo:

And the real cause of the bubble bursting is because I purchased a house

Seriously... its like every time I buy some sort of technology, or anything else for that matter, the price plummets. I've been noticing this since 1988. It's quite disturbing if you ask me!

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium Member
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

Combat Chuck to bolt

Premium Member

to bolt
said by bolt:

Then, the American people can see who runs the best campaign without it turning into a dash to see who can raise the most money the fastest.
How about the American people actually go out and do some research into who they're voting for or weather so-and-so's commercial is accurate instead of voting for whoever has the prettiest commercials.

I realize this is unrealistic but even if we level the monetary playing field we're still eventually screwed. People selecting representatives in the same manner as they select dish washing detergent is frightening.
Fisamo
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC

Fisamo to bolt

Premium Member

to bolt
said by bolt:

While I agree term limits are needed, I believe there is a larger need for "actual" campaign finances reform. ... snip... Of course, this will never happen.
Neither will this worthy suggestion:

1. Ban ALL cash contributions to any campaign (party and individual candidate).
    • All campaign contributions must be made by check, ACH direct wire, or credit card, which makes them traceable.

2. Eliminate ALL limits on campaign contributions. Individuals and corporations can give as much as they want, provided it's traceable/auditable.

3. Require full disclosure of all contributions, no matter the size, with a strong FEC audit team to enforce said requirement.

That may not cover all the RCFR needs (real campaign finance reform), but think about it. There are "rich 'big oil' 'big pharma' 'big tobacco' republicans" and "rich 'hollywood' 'George Soros' democrats" who even today can contribute as much as they want, once they hire enough accountants and jump enough hoops (e.g. 527's, party donations, candidate donations, etc.)

If you can give as much as you want (should be no Constitution "freedom of speech" argument against this plan), but all donations/campaign receipts are public knowledge, everyone will know "who buys who," which should address the transparency issue.

Oh, and by the way, term limits should be required of congress. No more than 12 years service in the House, 15 years in the Senate, 18 years combined maximum (to allow a termed-out Representative wants to run for Senate ONCE).

SRFireside
join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

SRFireside to pnh102

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

The answer to this is simple. Term Limits for Congress.
I would be for that if it weren't for the fact there are some very good congressmen out there who have been in their seat long term. I'm thinking of Austin congressman Lloyd Doggett in particular. Sometimes a changing of the guard isn't such a good thing as the last several years have proven. There has to be some sort of balance, but I don't know if term limits are the key to that.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by SRFireside:

I would be for that if it weren't for the fact there are some very good congressmen out there who have been in their seat long term.
I don't dispute that there are some good congressmen who deserve to be in power for extended periods of time. But for every one of them, we get someone like a Ted Stevens or a Robert Byrd (or heck, Senator Disney!). We may not agree at all with the policies these people can force, because of their longevity, but we cannot vote them out either.
bmn
? ? ?

join:2001-03-15
hiatus

bmn to dispatcher21

to dispatcher21
said by dispatcher21:

Katrina-That was a problem with the inept local government in that state. They did not plan well and did not ask for assistance in time. Blame them. Also blame the retards for not leaving when told to do so. What, they couldnt leave? Again, blame the local government for leaving buses parked in the lots and getting them flooded.
Its sad that you have to distort the facts to exploit Katrina for your shameless political agenda... It has been clearly shown that the Bush administration totally dropped the ball on Katrina too and that the blame can not be laid entirely on the state and local governments... To believe otherwise would be to live in a fantasy world where up is down and fiction is fact.