uniqs
share rss forum feed

scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:1

DIR-655 and jumbo frames?

Has anyone had a chance to test and see if the DIR-655 supports jumbo frames? I see nothing mentioned on the D-Link website and I do not trust support.

Thanks,
Scooby

SouthernLCC

join:2005-11-30
Canton, GA
I would love to know as well. I have this router and can't find it in any of the documentation.

Innuendo
Premium
join:2002-12-20
Evansville, IN
If it doesn't say it supports jumbo frames then it doesn't. I don't think any of D-Link's gigabit-enabled routers do.

SouthernLCC

join:2005-11-30
Canton, GA
That's just silly since i have two of their unmanaged lower end Gigabit switches that do support it.

packetpusher
Premium
join:2005-03-22
Oakville, ON
reply to scooby
But some of them still don't, and the switch ASIC's used in the un-managed switches are not the same chipset used in the DIR-655.

eryco

join:2004-06-04
Chicago, IL
reply to scooby
I enabled 4KB jumbo frames and everything works fine. If I enable 9KB JF my LAN and WAN still seem to work fine, but for some reason I can't access the router's config page. It goes back to normal if I disable JF or select 4KB. Very strange. My on-board NIC is a Marvell Yukon 88E8053. I have another which is a nVidia NIC but I haven't tried it yet.

Chonch

join:2003-01-17
Intercourse, PA
did you enable jumbo frames on your Netcard connected to the DIR-655. and did you match the MTU?
--
Any man who hates dogs and babies can't be all bad. -- Leo Rosten, on W.C. Fields

cheburashka

@rcn.com
I have a very similar experience. Jumbo frames seem to work fine on LAN and WAN connections, but not at all when accessing the router itself. Although, I couldn't get to the config page even with 4k frames. And this is with a d-link network card!

packetpusher
Premium
join:2005-03-22
Oakville, ON
reply to scooby
probably because the system interface has an mtu of 1500....

cheburashka

@paulweiss.com
You should not have to match mtu's. If the system interface is capable of receiving a jumbo frame (which it plainly is) then there should be no problem with my pc receiving a 1500 frame sent in response.

This is a bug.

kevin123

@verizon.net
reply to scooby
Yes, I did it... b'cause I saw your post too! It worked just great... I had to disable 802.1p on my NVidia Gigabit card but the Intel in my Media center did not have a problem with it set to enabled. My Intel only has 4000? and 9000? while the NV had 2000?, 4000?, & 9000?!

P.S. ...in clearification when I said "works just great..." I mean that I was able to establish the conection and pull the octet'd addresses. Could you clearify how to test since I am not on a $100,000 network with the bells and whistless. From what I can tell i would only really see a performance difference when my network is saturated doing "X", but notice a performance hit when I add "Y". So to test I then should enabled Jumbo frames and do "X+Y" and see no hit. All on my local net. Does any one have Jumbo Frame support on there Internet connection