davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to gimme5

MVM

to gimme5

Re: 220V european appliance in the US

if the device's neutral is tied to teh chassis, as many devices are even though they should not be, then it IS a big safety issue due to the "neutral" now being hot.

short answer is without KNOWING the internal wiring of the device, it should NEVER be hooked to US commercial power without the proper transformer.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS

Premium Member

said by davidg:

if the device's neutral is tied to teh chassis, as many devices are even though they should not be, then it IS a big safety issue due to the "neutral" now being hot.

short answer is without KNOWING the internal wiring of the device, it should NEVER be hooked to US commercial power without the proper transformer.
I'm not sure that you can say that "many" devices here in North America have the neutral and ground shorted together, especially if such device was to receive UL or CSA rating here in North America, or for that matter the more "strict" CE rating in Europe. That doesn't mean that older or foreign equipment may transgress such safety requirements.

However it is good advice to check to make sure that foreign equipment meets safety standards here in North America. I know that my public utility provides a service to check foreign electrically powered equipment that doesn't have a UL/CSA safety inspection label on it. This is commonly done for equipment that has been imported, yet only in few enough quantities that CSA or UL testing costs cannot be justified (such as a $500K audio console I recently had a contractor import from the UK).

TODarling
U.S. Army Retired
Premium Member
join:2004-11-27
Fort Smith, AR

TODarling

Premium Member

Throw it away and go buy a US model. Will cost more for an electrican than what you could but one for. Here one.

»www.comforthouse.com/wes ··· adm.html

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

1 edit

whizkid3 to davidg

MVM

to davidg
said by davidg:

Connecting the neutral (or any of the hot legs) to the chassis is illegal in both the USA and Europe. It would prevent the device from being listed.(This was not always the case. Older kitchen ranges are an example.)

Appliances must either have a ground pin, connected to the chassis, or be double-insulated, in which case they do not need a ground connection.

Again, not a factor. Fuse your 240V circuit properly, and have a ball.