Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1

4 edits

3 recommendations

Charter Internet Line Monitoring - It's free

As a new feature at this site we now have the ability to do group line monitoring. I have set one up for the Charter HSI customers.

You will see on the forum left sidelinks a link to the
Charter HSI Line Monitors. This service is currently free and will not result in any toolpoint deduction.

I have shamefully adapted/plagiarized the following from lilhurricane See Profile as she has excellently summarized on how to set up line monitoring, if you have not already done so.

The FAQ for starting a monitor is here, if you don't have one already going:

»Line Monitoring FAQ

This is where you need to go to get setup & sign on:

* Sign-Up *

Make sure when you're done to click "Create Monitor"..make sure you are "pingable".
If you require additional instruction, we can help

For those who are not already a part of this onsite, that are interested, please send me an IM to receive an invitation. Those of you that are..can add yours
You must click "Accept" when you get it for it to display here:

Charter HSI Monitors

Go to your profile page and add it to the profile +

»/prefs/flair

Use the drop down to add an entry to "My Home Connection"

That way your connection speed, modem, and router info show...

Please note: the "My Home Connection" listing is the fourth from the bottom under the "SECTION" choices.

If you would like an invite, please post in this thread or contact me through an IM. Do not email me, as I do not check my email here on a regular basis. If you are not familiar with the IM system here, please see »Site FAQ »IMs and Privacy

--

The foundations of character are built not by lecture, but by bricks of good example, laid day by day.

Monster Rain
Premium
join:2002-08-03
Madison, WI

Re: Charter HSI Line Monitoring - It's free

sweet

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
You have been invited.

markopoleo

join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO
Thanks for the invite. How long does it take for it to start monitoring? I'm asking cause i made my router "pingable" like it said but nothing all night. Yes i picked Dynamic.:)

useless7

join:2006-07-16
I will be changing my router around for this later on tonight.

markopoleo

Bonne Terre, MO
Bah, says its not receiving updates from my IP. Oh well, I have a netgear RP614 switch/router if anyone has a clue.

This look right?
»img183.imageshack.us/img183/4125···pkc3.jpg

useless7

reply to skj
Alright...waiting for this bad boy to start.

emtjr928

join:2006-10-26
Mcdonough, GA
Thanks for setting this up

defiant
MVM
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI
kudos:2
reply to markopoleo
Are you using a dynamic DNS client to update your IP address with the line monitor?

useless7

reply to skj
Mine finally started, it isnt going to be real accurate though , i have a high amount of traffic. Interested to see what it looks like though

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
I see you got yours started.

IcEr3K
Premium
join:2001-01-19
Los Angeles, CA
I have a Line Monitoring for the SoCal forum, is there a way to link it with Charter HSI?
--
My space

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
No, you would need an invite to the Charter group which I just sent you. Since you already have line monitoring going, all you would have to do is accept the invite.
--

The foundations of character are built not by lecture, but by bricks of good example, laid day by day.

markopoleo

Bonne Terre, MO
Well i can't get it to work, i tried the programs listed but they don't seem to "work".

My only guess is they don't work with Vista, or line monitoring does not. Yes I disabled windows firewall.

Oh well.

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Birmingham, AL
Nice, thanks for getting this together, the more that set this up the better it will be

Marko -- Yes that screen looks fine, all you have to do on your Router config is to be "pingable", in which you are according to that screenshot.

Did you try all of the DNS clients? I personally use DynSite, but I would find it odd that all of them not to work on Vista.

When you configured the DNS client did you get a successful connection update, etc?

Thanks again skj..
--
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
My pleasure. Glad you like it.

markopoleo

Bonne Terre, MO

2 edits
When I say they don't work, i tried say DeeEnEs one, I can configure it, but it does not "do" anything when its running.

Does this look right?
»img353.imageshack.us/img353/4278···plc4.jpg

So unless I'm setting them up wrong (likely) they not running for me. :P I really don't like being "pingable" though

UPDATE: I just put my IP address as STATIC since it never changes hardly. I just update it when it changes manually, easier than figuring all the programs out. :P

emtjr928

join:2006-10-26
Mcdonough, GA
Seems to be working except when I sleep. Lol
However I get no results from Palo Alto. Wonder why.

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Birmingham, AL
reply to markopoleo
said by markopoleo:

So unless I'm setting them up wrong (likely) they not running for me. :P I really don't like being "pingable" though

UPDATE: I just put my IP address as STATIC since it never changes hardly. I just update it when it changes manually, easier than figuring all the programs out. :P
Glad you got it working in one way or another.. The only purpose of the DNS proggies is so it is rather hands off,.. so you can always, 3 yrs from now still have your connection going,..

My IP rarely changes either, despite it being dynamic, but that is the nature of the IP pool from Charters DHCP in alot of places.

As for not liking 'being pingable'.. Why? It does not compromise security in anyway. At the very worst a group of people could do a DNS attack through ICMP headers and bog down your "home router" lol.. Very unlikely.

Are you often the target of someone? Having your IP exposed, which it isn't, unless someone is actively looking for it,.. is a likely cause for trouble ?

If so, I understand =)
--
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

markopoleo

Bonne Terre, MO
Well, its not so much me, its i have lots of people who sometimes get on my network for different things, I would rather to have it locked down as much as possible than open to anything.

I know its not a real security problem. Just something if i can avoid why not. hehe

Plasmapunch

join:2004-03-13
Montrose, MN
reply to skj
Hey I got my monitoring up and running thanks for the freebie Guys.

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
Glad you like it.

Que8
Let's Go Blues

join:2001-01-09
Saint Peters, MO
I think I set mine up right. Thanks!

waltl

join:2001-04-25
Fenton, MO
reply to skj
Thanks, skj, mine's working now, too.
How do add my town to the "Note:" field?

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South

1 recommendation

said by waltl:

Thanks, skj, mine's working now, too.
How do add my town to the "Note:" field?
Go to your Line Monitoring page. Click on the "Setup" link and than click on "edit" on the right side of the page. You can than type in your "Note" in the "Public comment" box. Be sure to click on the "Update Monitor" tab when you are done.
--

waltl

join:2001-04-25
Fenton, MO
Thanks!

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
My pleasure.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to skj

(topic move) How do I become pingable?

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »How do I become pingable?

stated reason was: Moving to new topic, hoping for help

gilf
Premium
join:2007-06-24
San Gabriel, CA
reply to skj

Re: Charter HSI Line Monitoring - It's free

I only just noticed my post was moved. My apologies for the apparently OT post; the question was asked in the context of preparing for line monitoring and I thought it came under the umbrella of requesting additional instructions, per skj's original post. (may I plead brain melt with outrageous heat we're having???)

I'll follow up at the new location and then come back when I'm set up for monitoring.

Thanks.

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
Not a problem. Making your post into a new thread makes it more prominent and thus more likely to be read and followed by our forum members.
--

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 10 · 11 · 12 · next