share rss forum feed view:
normal
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 9 · 10 · 11 · next

Plasmapunch

join:2004-03-13
Montrose, MN
reply to skj

Re: Charter HSI Line Monitoring - It's free

Hey I got my monitoring up and running thanks for the freebie Guys.

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1

Glad you like it.

Que8
Let's Go Blues

join:2001-01-09
Saint Peters, MO

I think I set mine up right. Thanks!

waltl

join:2001-04-25
Fenton, MO
reply to skj

Thanks, skj, mine's working now, too.
How do add my town to the "Note:" field?

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South

1 recommendation

said by waltl:

Thanks, skj, mine's working now, too.
How do add my town to the "Note:" field?
Go to your Line Monitoring page. Click on the "Setup" link and than click on "edit" on the right side of the page. You can than type in your "Note" in the "Public comment" box. Be sure to click on the "Update Monitor" tab when you are done.
--

The foundations of character are built not by lecture, but by bricks of good example, laid day by day.

waltl

join:2001-04-25
Fenton, MO

Thanks!

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South

My pleasure.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to skj

(topic move) How do I become pingable?

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »How do I become pingable?

stated reason was: Moving to new topic, hoping for help

gilf
Premium
join:2007-06-24
San Gabriel, CA
reply to skj

Re: Charter HSI Line Monitoring - It's free

I only just noticed my post was moved. My apologies for the apparently OT post; the question was asked in the context of preparing for line monitoring and I thought it came under the umbrella of requesting additional instructions, per skj's original post. (may I plead brain melt with outrageous heat we're having???)

I'll follow up at the new location and then come back when I'm set up for monitoring.

Thanks.

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South

Not a problem. Making your post into a new thread makes it more prominent and thus more likely to be read and followed by our forum members.
--

The foundations of character are built not by lecture, but by bricks of good example, laid day by day.

sudogreg

join:2002-01-12
Washington, MO
reply to skj

interesting

TuPaK

join:2002-07-21
San Gabriel, CA
reply to skj

just signed up.

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South

Invitation sent.

mcotter

join:2004-07-20
Osage Beach, MO
reply to skj

Signed up

LittlewingN4

join:2000-11-02
Somerville, AL
reply to skj

signed up and ty for addin me

cptskyhawk

join:2006-08-26
Troy, AL

1 edit
reply to skj

Thanks for the invite! But how to I get my tracker listed in the "CharterHSI" group?

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South

If you have your line monitoring set up all you have to do is accept the invite and you will automatically added.
--

BinaryXtreme6

join:2004-04-20
Sparks, NV
reply to skj

How do you get invited? I think I set mine up right as per the link.

BinaryXtreme6

Sparks, NV

Got it, ty for invite.

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South

You are welcome.

FREEZE32

@charter.com
reply to skj

Wow... The person in my area has the same high latency issue that I am having. What a cool tool!

BinaryXtreme6

Sparks, NV

What is your latency?

»/monitored/detail

MrMike1
Premium
join:2008-02-02
reply to skj

Okay, all set up and pingable.

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South

Invite sent.

MrMike1
Premium

1 edit

Thank you.

The connection section setting up line monitoring asks for an email address for alerts. Is this something I should fill in and if so, with my address or something else?

Also I upgraded to a premium account, but the monitor is still under a basic account setting, does this matter?

MrMike1
Premium
reply to skj

Sorry, I see all I had to to is read the FAQ for those questions.

Slagathor

join:2002-01-07
Merrill, WI
reply to skj

Do I need to be in a group what ever for the Charter line monitoring????

Just signed up tonight, reading the faq right now.

(havent gotten into trouble in a while so I thought I would post WHILE I am reading, just in case.....heh )

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South

I have sent you an invite so you can join the line monitoring group.

RKBA

join:2001-12-30
La Crescenta, CA
reply to skj

I'm with markopoleo as far as becoming "pingable." I keep remembering the time when the two Charter techs came out to install my broadband cable. Everything went well until one of the techs asked if he could hook up their cable box directly to my computer as they normally do (bypassing my router), so that he could show the new-hire how things are "normally" connected. About 20 seconds later my anti-virus program popped open a window warning of some sort of virus or trojan attack. That was the very first time that had ever happened, and although my software firewall caught and stopped the "attacker", I am VERY hesitant to make my router pingable.

Has anyone else using line monitoring had trouble with viruses, trojans, etc? Thanks.

pomfret
Who? Me?
Premium
join:2002-02-22
Pomfret Center, CT
kudos:2

said by RKBA:

Has anyone else using line monitoring had trouble with viruses, trojans, etc? Thanks.
I'm surprised there's been no response to this yet. Making your router "pingable" doesn't change the fact that your equipment is still sitting behind your router. It will show a "I'm home" signal to anyone scanning your IP, which is debatable in terms of security.

The reason your software firewall triggered when the tech hooked up the modem directly is because he bypassed your router which was blocking most (if not all) of the every day nonsense that is the world of viruses and trojans seeking new victims.

Since the average home router doesn't allow inbound connections w/o an associated outbound request (unless you configure it otherwise), these "attacks," or scans never make it to the software firewall on your computer(s), so no "alarms" are ever triggered.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 9 · 10 · 11 · next