how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tryin2help

join:2004-05-24
Fayetteville, NC

Losing connection

I have the 660 modem and a belkin F5D7231-4. I am having problems with losing my connection. Two things, One is I have problems using bitorrent. I tried to forward ports in my router and no change. I can get a connection when I bridge my modem. Problem is after the bitorrent client runs for a while, (overnight)On the other computer in my network. My main PC wont connect to the internet. I end up just resetting the modem and rebooting. Then everything works again. The other problem is that I have my xbox 360 connected and it works fine for a while then I will lose connection. I keep reading the posts about solving port forwarding with the 660. The last one I read showed a screen shot with a firewall tab. I don't have a firewall tab when I look in the modem web interface. Do I have the wrong firmware? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Callcentric

2 edits

First make sure you update your firmware to the latest.

»www.embarq.com/Portal/embarq/Sup···Firmware

Download the one for the "reboot issue". Next bridge your modem. I have tried MANY different ways to get it to work in DHCP mode but it will not work reliably. If you bridge the modem you will use your router as the DHCP server since that's its purpose anyway.

Make sure you have the latest firmware for your router:

»www.belkin.com/support/download.···5D7231-4

Once you have that done. Make sure that your router is set to automatically detect the IP address. Next enable plug and play on the router if it's not already. If you do not have plug and play then forward the "listen port" that your bittorrent program uses to the computer that you run it on. Set this computer to a fixed IP address within windows so that the computer will always have the same IP. I set my bittorrent computer to 192.168.0.115. This will ensure that the IP address is always empty and isn't given to anything else through DHCP. IP conflicts on your network can cause the router to reboot which will cause other computers to lose connection.

If your computers are on a wireless connection then install netstumbler. It will show you the signal level of your connection and will also show you if the network goes down. If you have wireless rebooting issues then specify a different wireless channel. Your best bet is either channel 1 or 11. I set mine to 1 and have not had any rebooting issues (except that my 2.4GHz phone will cause the wireless to drop out sometimes (stupid FCC))

Limit the number of connected peers in your bittorrent program to something like 80 peers. The more connections you have the higher the latency to servers will be. You may be causing timeout errors on your other computers by having too many connections.

You will get better performance if you specify a DNS server in your router. Use 208.67.222.222 as your primary and 208.67.220.220 as your alternate. Those are OpenDNS servers and they perform much better than Embarq's default servers.
--
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
- Plato -

Tryin2help

Fayetteville, NC
reply to Tryin2help

Thanks for the info. I am all wired. I also already have opendns. I will check to make sure I have the latest firmware.

hazezilla

join:2006-02-19
reply to Tryin2help

Are you losing sync or just your Internet access?

Is you 660 a little square unit or a larger rectangle unit?

Little square ones have firewall the larger rectangle unit do not have firewall. Little ones have a 9 volt ps larger ones have 12 volt ps.

I would recommend keeping you 660 bridged and let your router do the work.
Once bridged the 660 is a dumb box and all port and fordarding issues are in your router.

Try having your main computer run pings all night along with your server to see when you lose connection.

But please give more info on what you are losing and any background info.

gh4456
Premium
join:2004-04-07
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to Tryin2help

It amazes me that some try to use a "home" router and run 500 TCP connections through it and wonder why it locks up. These routers have CPU's just like your computer, so when you "overload" them, they will lock up. This is a common issue with bittorrent. Bridge the 660 so it is just a layer 2 device passing the frames over to your belkin which would in turn do the port forwarding. Best of luck

Tryin2help

Fayetteville, NC

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't know what other type of router besides a "home" router to use. Pretty much clueless as to where I would even look.

TScheisskopf
World News Trust

join:2005-02-13
Belvidere, NJ

said by Tryin2help:

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't know what other type of router besides a "home" router to use. Pretty much clueless as to where I would even look.
Well, if you can fins a used PII or PIII computer, with around 128-256 megs of ram and a small HDD, plust 2 NICs, you can run Smoothwall 2.0. It's free and it works a treat.

Or, get the 2Wire option from Embarq. A fine piece of kit.

dude34221

join:2002-06-13
Athens, OH

so smoothwall is a kind of routing/firmware software? i have been looking into using an old computer of mine for this purpose. so basically i would need that software installed with a nic for computer on the network?

TScheisskopf
World News Trust

join:2005-02-13
Belvidere, NJ

said by dude34221:

so smoothwall is a kind of routing/firmware software? i have been looking into using an old computer of mine for this purpose. so basically i would need that software installed with a nic for computer on the network?
DHCP, Router, Firewall and more. Linux-based, free, easy to install and get working and excellent at what it does. Easy administration from the web-based panel.

You need at least 2 NICs, 3 if you want to run a DMZ for servers or something.

davoice

join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

2 edits
reply to Tryin2help

FYI... I've killed 2 660's in the past 10 months. 1 larger one. 1 compact one. The first one now seems to have been the reboot issue - but they didn't know about it at the time. The compact one started stopping to pass all traffic on its ethernet port. 2 weeks of babying it and it finally started to die - 4-5 minutes to resync w/ the DSLAM, slow boots, etc.

So it is entirely possible you got a bad unit.

BUT... more than likely you need a "real" router and to set your unit in bridge mode.

I do occasionally bittorrent and on my 660s would get lockups and slowdowns when I was on a really fast/large swarm. Nothing major but I would notice web surfing could be "glitchy" at times even though I had the upload on the client set to limit at 1/2 my upload speed. I would also complete device resets when I plugged in more then 5 VoIP devices into my network. (I test VoIP handsets and such for the office.)

After the last 660 died I left my spare, el cheapo DareGlobal DSL modem (left over from loft living in downtown Dallas) connected and it hasn't even sneezed.

Hard to believe an el cheapo, generic Conexant (sp?) chipped ADSL modem is performing better than the Zyxel units but it is.

Tryin2help

Fayetteville, NC

could you specify "real" router lol. I am now getting problems when I game. I can browse fine and use bitorrent fine. However when I play battlefield 2142 I experience "there is a problem with your connection" and the game will pause for a few seconds. Its not just that game other ones seem to give me these momentary pauses. Any ideas?