Search similar:

uniqs
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra

Premium Member

[Help] Media Player Classic illegal operation (part of Real Alt.

I recently installed Real Alternative 1.5.1 which included Media Player Classic 6.4.9.0 and Real Media codecs version 6.0.12.17.41. Real Alternative works fine.

I never used MPC until today and I used it once fine but since then after clicking on a link here »prairiehome.publicradio. ··· rograms/ (and clicking on Real Player) it played the song but when I exited MPC I got an illegal operation:

MPLAYERC caused an invalid page fault in
module MPLAYERC.EXE at 0167:004af33c.

I rebooted the computer and was able to view a Real file without any problems, but when I went to this site to test it (which originally played fine and I was able to exit without any errors) »jackstargazer.com/JHSG_DNLD.html I now get an illegal operation when closing Media Player Classic.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how can I correct it? (This is on Windows 98se and I have WMP 6.4 also installed.) I also have wmp6cdcs. and wmv9vcm codecs installed.

Thank you for any advice.

Sincerely, Libra

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

1 edit

AB57

Premium Member

Re: [Help] Media Player Classic illegal operation (part of Real

Hi Libra.

Did you have Real Alternative installed and working fine prior to installing MPC?
And did you install just the MPC player, or some codecs as well? (Since you say you have the wmp9 codecs, I'm guessing that's where they came from.)
You may need to lose the wmp9 codecs, since you have only WMP v. 6.4. Even though MPC is also v. 6.4, it will use the wmp9 codecs, although that shouldn't come into play when viewing .rm files.
Confusing enough for you?
I suppose it's possible that you have MPC installed twice, as that's also what Real Alternative uses, and it's confusing the issue when playing files. This is, again, assuming you had Real Alternative previously installed?
I'm just tossing out some possibilities here.
Of course, you could always uninstall whatever parts of MPC you just installed, and see if that resolves the problem, and go from there. Or uninstall the whole shebang, then re-install MPC along with Real and/or Quicktime Alternatives, and whatever other codecs you like.
Or wait for someone who may have a better handle on this particular issue.

*Edit- And I just checked out your links & had no problem either place (other than it was tough to look at Jack Stargazer's bad toupee). But you probably already knew that.
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem

Premium Member

said by AB57:

I just checked out your links & had no problem either place.
Hello AB.

What version of the Alternative Real Player (the install file's .exe) did you use that worked?

Also what version .exe of Media Player Classic worked for you on those sites?

(I'm using version 1.2.9 of the Real Alternative and version 6.4.8.2 of Media Player Classic. They worked fine with the XP Codec version 2.0.5 on both sites.)

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

I'm using the same as Libra, except she's using a slightly newer Real, for whatever it's worth.
I guess hers is newer because I'm still running K-Lite 1.60 Beta, since I like it so much.

Cozworth
Premium Member
join:2003-06-10
england

Cozworth

Premium Member

For what its worth I have started getting a error on MPC ending .ra files but not for other types.
Only happened reently but I haven't updated anything for a while.

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium Member
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH

MagMan to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
Just an FYI it all worked for me with Real Alt no problem.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

said by MagMan:

Just an FYI it all worked for me with Real Alt no problem.
Likewise here, too. Both play fine with no errors in XP and on a Win98SE computer. It may make a difference, however, if your versions of WMP and DirectX are older than WMP 9 and older than DirectX 8.

It may also make a difference if you got the Real Alternative Player as a stand alone install or as part of a Codec Pack.

Do you have a link to an ".ra" file we can test for you?

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by Gem:

. . Do you have a link to an ".ra" file we can test for you?
Don't mind encoding your own, do you?

»newcreations.net/ra.htm
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

said by AB57:

Don't mind encoding your own, do you? [Well, yes]:)
I found a pot full of ".ra.ram" files at this site and couldn't play sound in a single one of them with the "stand alone" Real Alternative Player and MPC (perhaps because the site wants a Flash plugin).

»www.kvnf.org/archive.php

Bet AB's K-Lite version can play them though.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra to AB57

Premium Member

to AB57
Click for full size
#1 Seamonkey Message
Click for full size
#2 Real Player can't play this file
Hi everyone,
I am getting very confused. When I first went to the Jack Stargazer page I don't *think* I got any prompts for which player. It just opened in a new page (1/2 to 3/4 of screen) and played. Now when I go to that page I get this prompt from Seamonkey (screenshot). I just click okay to play with default Media Player Classic.

Am I suppose to be telling it to open with Real Alternative? If so, I clicked to browse but I see the whole Seamonkey folder opened and there is a Plugin Folder and a Search Plugins. I know the plugins installed were nppl3260.dll and nprpjplug.dll. Do I have to open the Plugin Folder and select on of those .dlls? If so, which one?

Also, I installed Real Player Alternative 1.5.1 and it included Media Player Classic 6.4.90 and Real Media Codecs version 6.0.12.17.41.

I also went to another site ( »www.pbs.org/now/shows/22 ··· dex.html )
and clicked on watch the video and got Screenshot #2 message (my notes say RA won't play smi and sm.1 files - maybe this falls into this category?)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Again, am I making a mistake clicking on use default Media Player Classic?

Sincerely, Libra
Libra

Libra

Premium Member

I also want to mention that I just went to this site:

»www.pbs.org/moyers/moyer ··· ity.html

and clicked on "watch the video" and the page came up, no prompts, and I could watch it and exit without any problems. I believe it played in Real Alternative.

So, it seems to me that when a little window opens (just like WMP) and its Media Player Classic, I get the Illegal Operation when I exit it.

Why?

Sincerely, Libra

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57 to Gem

Premium Member

to Gem
Click for full size
You're right, I could play them, if I felt like allowing a "chat cookie". That's why it won't connect to the server.

My allowing a "chat cookie" on that site ain't gonna happen.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

You are brilliant and quite correct AB.

I didn't allow the "chat cookie" either, but was unaware that is what stopped the audio track from making sounds when RA played it.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57 to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
Hi Libra.

Negatory on the manually selecting .dll's.
MPC should play .smi & .smil files.

This could be a Seamonkey configuration problem. I don't know anything about that browser, sorry.
It could possibly be an MPC configuration problem as well, I suppose.
First, check out your file associations in Control Panel/Folder Options/File Types & make sure that MPC is set as the default to open all the Real file types (.rm . ra, etc.) and that you have the Real Media boxes checked in MPC's Format Options.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
said by Libra:

Hi everyone,
I am getting very confused. When I first went to the Jack Stargazer page I don't *think* I got any prompts for which player. It just opened in a new page (1/2 to 3/4 of screen) and played. Now when I go to that page I get this prompt from Seamonkey (screenshot). I just click okay to play with default Media Player Classic.

Am I suppose to be telling it to open with Real Alternative?

Again, am I making a mistake clicking on use default Media Player Classic?
I don't know about the other problems Libra, but for me here's what happens with the Real Alternative Media Player Classic:

1) When I attempt to play real audio files, the little window asking which program to use with Media Player Classic as the default pops up. Just select it and it should play.

I have no idea why it gives you an error when you exit. Winamp used to do that here and I just ignored it as it caused no ill effects; it was corrected in later Winamp builds.

2) On JackStargazer.com, the videos used to play without the little box popping up. But after using Winamp to play an audio file I now get the little box asking which program to use when opening Jack's site as well. I suppose if you have multiple video players all capable of playing the videos the little box will pop up and ask you which one to use.

I still get no errors when MPC exits, but we are using different versions of RA, different versions of MPC, and different Codecs.

AB can probably enlighten us and give you some guidance on what to do to fix the problem you are having.

I know you have two computers, Libra: XP and 98SE. Would you confirm which one are we talking about in this thread?

It will be good to limit the problem solving to one OS, fix it first, then move to the other if you want to pursue it that far.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

1 edit

AB57 to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
Also, Libra, make sure that the contents of the Program Files/K-Lite/Real/Browser/Components folder have been copied over to Seamonkey's respective folder.

*Edit- Along with the plugins from K-Lite/Real/Browser/plugins, of course. But it sounds as though you already had that one covered.
AB57

AB57 to Gem

Premium Member

to Gem
said by Gem:

You are brilliant . . .
Actually, Gem, probably a lot closer to the other end of the spectrum.
I won't argue with you any further, though.

But I'm sure there are a few people around here that will be happy to straighten you out on that one.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Click for full size
Folder Options - no Real file types
Click for full size
Media Classic Options
Click for full size
Media Classic Options 2
Click for full size
Media Classic Options 3
Hi Argle,
Thank you for your replies. I checked my Folder Options in Windows and I don't have any type of Real files listed at all!
I did find these file types, and all of them open with MPlayer2 (which I think is WMP).
Streaming audio/Video, Streaming Audio, Windows Media Audio Shortcut W.Media/Video File and W. Audio/Video Shortcut. The various extensions are ASF WM, ASK and content type video/x-ms-asf.
I made a screenshot (one of many) for the Folder Options at the "r" area.

I also checked the Options in Windows Media Classic and there are very few items checked and I noticed one Real file is checked and greyed out. I am putting screenshots for all of these items. Could you please look them over and see if I need to check anything?

Also, I made a screenshot of the Real Player configuration area in case that matters. I noticed at the bottom it says "Use Direct Sound" which has a checkmark. Below that is yes, no and no has a dot. ? I have Direct X8.1b.
~~~~~~~~
Thank you for explaining that you got a little box and an error message when exiting using Winamp. Maybe I don't have to be concerned about this?

Argle, I don't have any K-lite under program files and I never installed any K-Lite. I think the wmp9 codecs I have came from MS - I have no idea of where they are, I just know I installed them quite a while ago.

When I installed Real Alternative recently I chose the one for Seamonkey (might have said Netscape or something) and I have the two plugins I listed above. I looked at RPA's plugins and there could be about 20, and I found 4 in another plugin folder. I'm reluctant to put all of those into Seamonkey's plugin folder.

Another thing I noticed. I looked in ZoneAlarm and it has Media Player Classic listed but not Real Alternative and I've only been prompted for MPC.

I'll attach the screenshots (sorry it's so many). Am attaching more in another post.

Sincerely, Libra
Libra

Libra

Premium Member

Click for full size
Media Classic Options - 4
Click for full size
Real Media Settings (partial)
Click for full size
Real Media settings re Direct X
Here's the last MPC options screenshot, along with the Real Alternative configuration area (one part). I showing the Direct X setting too. Maybe this is because I'm using Windows 98 and it was automatically set this way?
Libra

2 recommendations

Libra

Premium Member

Problem resolved itself

Hi everyone!
I appreciate everyone's feedback on this problem. After having the computer off all day yesterday, I just got the courage to try those two sites again that gave me illegal operations using MPC (Prarie and Stargazer) and MPC played fine and, more importantly, I didn't get any illegal operations when I closed MPC.
I have no idea of how or why, but I'm glad it's fixed.
Thank you again.
Sincerely, Libra

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57 to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra

Re: [Help] Media Player Classic illegal operation (part of Real

Okay Libra, here is what I'm going to suggest--

First of all, and as a side note, install the latest version of DirectX, which is 9.0c, and available here:

»www.filehippo.com/downlo ··· directx/

The next thing I recommend is that you uninstall MPC, Real Alternative, and Quicktime Alternative, then reinstall using the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, available here:

»free-codecs.com/download ··· Pack.htm

The default installation should suffice for you, just make sure that both Real and QT Alternatives are selected as part of the install (they should already be).
If you want to carefully decide which other codecs you do or don't want, obviously that's up to you.
I could recommend some other things to try first, but if they don't work out, we've both wasted a lot of time to no purpose.
Also, by using this method, you will get MPC and Real/QT Alternatives all in one shot. (This is, I presume, what you would like?)
During the uninstall/install, when asked if you want to delete any current settings, click 'yes'. If it says save current settings, check 'no'.

What I suspect has happened is that somehow by installing MPC as a stand-alone player after already having Real and/or Quicktime Alternative installed, that it messed with your settings in some way. I don't know that, but it's my suspicion.
And rather than try a bunch of different combinations of settings & what-not, it's probably easier to just start fresh.

If this method is not what you'd prefer to do, let me/us know, and we'll work on something else.
But again, it seems this may be the quickest, simplest solution.

We'll go another direction if this is not what you'd like to do. Don't be afraid to just say so, if that's the case.

----------------------------------------------------------

Libra, I just read your IM before posting this.
All's well. That's great, I'm glad to hear it!
Gremlins again! I HATE those little boogers!

I'm going to go ahead & post this anyway, just in case you should have any further problems.
And also going to recommend that you still go ahead & install the latest DirectX.

But I'm happy for you that everything is copasetic, at least for the moment. Great news!
As always, it's been my pleasure.

Yours,
A. Bargle
Libra
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

Libra

Premium Member

Hi Argle,
I'm going to leave everything as it is for now but I sitemarked this thread so I can refer to your advice if I feel I need it in the future.
I never installed Media Player Classic alone; it came as part of the Real Alternative download. It doesn't even show up in add/remove so I imagine if I had to remove Real it would remove the MPC.
Thanks for everything.
Sincerely, Libra

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by Libra:

Hi Argle,
I'm going to leave everything as it is for now but I sitemarked this thread so I can refer to your advice if I feel I need it in the future.
I never installed Media Player Classic alone; it came as part of the Real Alternative download. It doesn't even show up in add/remove so I imagine if I had to remove Real it would remove the MPC.
Thanks for everything.
Sincerely, Libra
You're quite welcome, Libra.
And yes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
The Real & QT Alternatives use MPC to open files, and MPC is just automatically part of that install, so that's why it doesn't show in A/R Programs. It just shows as Real or QT Alternative.
Again, my pleasure. Enjoy, & don't let Stargazer's rug scare you too badly.

A. Bargle
Suchaknight
Premium Member
join:2002-10-06
Houbytown

Suchaknight to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
Click for full size
When I upgraded my MPC to version 6.4.9.0, I started getting this memory error when I closed the program. I could be playing a .mpeg video on my hard drive, or streaming .wma audio off the web, whatever. It does it all the time when I exit the program.