how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

billh491

join:2001-08-09
Pomfret Center, CT

January Rate Hike

The letter only talks about your the 4000/384 plan going to 39.95 plus 2.95 for a modem. Will my 6000/512 for 67.90 be going up?

I can buy a modem for under 60 bucks so 20 month is the break even point on that deal. Glad I own mine.

Also ATT offers 3.0 to 6.0 Mbps 384 to 608 for 5 bucks less not very competitive. Better speeds less money. I know distance, PPoE and all would most likely make these packages even out but the consumer does not know that just sees 6 down for 5 bucks less then 4 down.

While you do have to have a phone line with ATT these are the month to month prices. You can get cable internet with out video they charge 10.00 more. A plain phone line with tax a little under 20 so if you were going to use VOIP only cable would save you a few dollars.

ultatryon

join:2002-04-10
Waterford, CT

The Internet and Ultra packages (37.95/39.95 and 57.95) include the modem fee. That is extra for the Access (21.95) and Basic (29.99) packages. This fee is regardless of your modem ownership, as it is modem insurance. We will replace a modem (if damaged/defective), regardless of where it was purchased from.

Chick

join:2000-12-27
Waterford, CT

Not sure if you are forced to pay it on a modem you purchased elsewhere if, "insurance" is quite the right word. Maybe, "Protection Money" or something similar would be more appropriate.

ultatryon

Waterford, CT

As I said, that is only for the lower tier packages, and it will cover that ebay special modem that was purchased for $5, to get a SB5120 to replace it.

And, also, as I said, it is included in the Internet and Ultra packages.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

Damn. Comcast looks cheap now

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
reply to billh491

Ok looking closer at the letter it does say modem maintenance plan. I am a bit of speed reader and I guess I see what I want to see sometimes.

So my plan is not going up and included in my 67.90 per month is the modem maintenance plan.

Like Chick it does not sit well with me to be forced at the lower level to pay for the plan or have it factored in at the upper level. I would like to take the 2.95 and pay the 60 bucks if my modem ever goes out.

Look at it this way in a few months when you come out with your DOCSIS 3 system and your 100mps service I get a new modem right?

Murph1

join:2005-09-02
New London, CT

I'm going to assume that 100mps comment was a joke, right? Because I don't have enough towels to wipe the drool from my chin if it's not a joke.
--
Murph

ultatryon

Waterford, CT

1 edit

Well, 100mb is nowhere on our radar at the moment, but it could happen.... eventually....

But, you are correct, Billh, if there was a requirement for a modem replacement, the burden would then be on us. For example, upgrading from the 4mb to 6mb package using a SB3100, would require a modem replacement (due to the modem being limited to about 5mbit/s), and since both of those packages include it, the modem would be replaced with no cost to you.

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
reply to billh491

Yes 100mb was a bit of a joke but there are a few places in the world where it is happening. There are lots of places right here in the US that are getting 10,15 even 30 right now.

As far as the upgrade to the 5100 from a 3100 if you went from the 3 to the 6meg package you would pay for the new modem. Well under ECC I paid for the modem when I went to 6megs but did get a reduced cost of about 45.00 I am guessing what you guys pay for them.

So if that is true then under ECC I did not have a modem protection plan and I do under Metrocast and I am paying the same 67.90 then I am in fact getting the plan for free.

As a note on speed I would guess 100mps is over kill as I doubt you could find a server that was willing to feed you that much bandwidth. But I think 15/2 would be nice sweet spot to be in.

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA

I would kill for my old speeds with OOL on Long Island. They are teting resi. 50/50 right now and basic package is now 15/5 or 15/2 for 44.95 and for 55.95 you get 30/5

ultatryon

Waterford, CT
reply to billh491

said by billh491:

So if that is true then under ECC I did not have a modem protection plan and I do under Metrocast and I am paying the same 67.90 then I am in fact getting the plan for free.
Precicely.

The modems under Eastern, were covered by a 2 year warranty, which is double the manufacturers. To replace an out of warranty modem, assuming it was originally purchased from Eastern or @Home, was replaced for $45. Any non-Eastern or @Home modem was charged the full price of $85.

So, Anyone on the standard 4mb package, any variation of Ultra, or any business account, will have this included. The only types of accounts where it is extra, are the two lower end packages (the 128k/64k, and 1.5m/128k).

The reasoning for the price increase overall is to have a corporate standard. Since Eastern's default package was 3.0m/256k for $37.95, and Metrocast's default package is 4.0m/384k, everyone was updated automatically on day one. All new subscribers since September 1st, have been billed the Metrocast rate of $39.95, and all "legacy" customers who have already received the updated speeds, will have then be billed for that upgrade come January.

Basically.. It boils down to a 33% increase in download, a 50% increase in upload, and a 5.3% increase in your bill.

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
reply to billh491

So can a new customer get the 6/512 plan? And if not I hope they continue to allow us legacy customers to keep it, well unless they come out with something better.

ultatryon

Waterford, CT

1 edit

Yes. Ultra is still a currently available package, it is not on the promotional materials as the other systems to not have a comparable package at this time.

And, as I have said before, things are always in the works... Big things in the pipes (not to be confused with Tubes), and thats all I am gonna say

Murph1

New London, CT

This is very petty, but I'd like Metro to match AT&T's 6 down/768K up speed.

It doesn't seem like much, but upload speed is important for us gamers who like to host a decent amount of players and every little bit helps.

ultatryon

Waterford, CT

We do have packages with 768k and even 1.5mb up, however they are business packages.

If we give everyone 768k on the normal package, imagine just how much more bandwidth will be eaten by the people who dont know how to control their P2P apps, and nevermind the computers that get owned with viruses, pushing out their spam and virii out twice as fast as they are now. Honestly, even the 384k up is alot more then the average person knows what to do with..

Choices Choices Choices.. thats where its at.

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA

If other companies are not having issues with increasing there upload, why are you?

Is it that they dont fear P2P and viruses clogging the network?

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
reply to billh491

Good point compnurd even if you are from New Hampshire

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA

Thanks Bill,

And also why not just increase the upload on the higher tier package. then you wont have those issues with normal users

Murph1

New London, CT
reply to ultatryon

said by ultatryon:

If we give everyone 768k on the normal package, imagine just how much more bandwidth will be eaten by the people who dont know how to control their P2P apps, and nevermind the computers that get owned with viruses, pushing out their spam and virii out twice as fast as they are now. Honestly, even the 384k up is alot more then the average person knows what to do with.
While I understand your viewpoint, if others (AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, etc.) don't have a problem providing it, why should Metrocast?

Furthermore, if the higher upload speeds pretty much become the norm with other providers (both DSL and other cablecos), Metrocast will have no choice but to match or fall behind, IMHO.
--
Murph

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
reply to billh491

Getting back to the modem replacement fee for a minute. A co worker was complaining that with Charter she knows she paid for her modem but now they want 3 bucks a month for it. At the time I did not know about the industry movement to charge this fee and she asked me what she could do about her now 50.00 internet fee. I told her check out ATT they have plans starting less then 20 bucks. When she called they even pitched her Dish which she then asked me about. I think Charter is going lose a customer for both video and internet.

I am not saying the Telocs are any better they have plenty of fees. They just have lower priced plans to start with.

And yes I know both distance and PPoE will take 15%+ off the advertised speed. But unless your a 1%er * you won't even know.

DSL is doing a better job at least in my neighborhood as out of 6 houses I am the only one with cable the other 5 have DSL. And if I were not a Geek that wanted just the fastest speed I could get the cheapskate in me would be on the 12.95 plan from ATT.

* For those that did not come over from ConnForum a 1%er is a term that started when there were issues with the news server and it was explained that only 1% of users used the news server. Now to me I take it to mean the 1% of users that now how to use their computers. In other words a Geek.

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA

I just got my notice of the rate hike. on the brighter side download is going up to 6 megs

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
reply to billh491

So how much they charging you in NH for 6 meg down.

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA

41.95 with digital and 49 without

ultatryon

Waterford, CT
reply to comp

said by comp:

Thanks Bill,

And also why not just increase the upload on the higher tier package. then you wont have those issues with normal users
As I stated before, we do have a package with 768k upload, and 1.5m upload respectively. These options are already available to all users, and have been since the MetroCast transition.

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA

Speaking of raising rates next year... if my bill is going up 8 %(largest with any cable company i have ever been with) i wonder if we will get the NFL network games

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
reply to billh491

I am already paying Higher rates than a lot of other cable users around the country for lower speeds. All you have to do is look at the front page of BBR to find notices of new plans that are in the 10,15 and 30 range with good uploads in the 40's per month.

So if I read compnurd right he can get a 6/512 speed plan in NH for 49 with out digital and I pay 57.90 with basic. Will that be changing in my favor?

On another note I have only been using the Internet and this thing they call the World Wide Web for a little over 11 years now so I might not know just how to do it so could you tell me how I find out what the video plans cost or where the prices for these higher Internet plans you speak of are?

As If I go to your home page by typing www and pressing enter and then being magically transported to a page called Welcome to MetroCast Online I see a link under Digital cable that says more info. When I get to the next page I don't see anything about prices.

When I click on Internet info I do see a link to prices but then I am shocked to see a modem that Walmart sells for 59.99 going for 99.99 thats 66% more! Then I see a plan that is twice the speed of dialup for 21.99 but that can't be right ATT has a plan that is 6 times faster then that for 2 thirds the price. Then I see a plan for 29.99 that is only 50% more then the same plan from ATT. But I never see any plan that gives me one meg up.

So where can I see all of your video and Internet plans?

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA

1 edit

ha i wish i am 6/384

our site is www.metrocastcablevision.com

ultatryon

Waterford, CT

Honestly, it seems like I can't seem to say anything to please you guys.

The non-residential services are not on our website, you would have to speak to a business account representative for the pricing on those packages. I know the most popular is the 3.0/768k package, which is $99/mo, but there are more then that.

Same with Digital television, there are several specials running right now, and prices are not static, we would have to update the website constantly to reflect them. Again, you would have to call in and speak to a Customer Service representative for that.

As for what is to come, I can't say, things are always in the works, and patience is a virtue.

badbob

join:2006-09-04
Niantic, CT

Well I, for one, appreciate your posts ultatryon!!!

Any info you pass on is paid attention to!

Jeff G

join:2001-07-31
Dayville, CT

I agree with any information that is given. There are people on this board and any board that are never happy. For example I have heard the same guy complain about eastern now metrocast because of SNET/SBC/AT&T what ever you call them. If you are so unhappy here go I say. I am a video user. I have my DSL through AT&T I pay the lower price for elite which I get about 4200/384 I don't why I get the 384 but I do. I would love the full 6 they advertise but I don't get it. Please keep the information flowing as you have most of us appreciate without being a total smart ass. But from the people doing it does it really surprise? They have done it as long as I remember on the Conn Forum board...