said by goddan:This is a remote "hack", but only works on some models of remote.
Ok, this isn't exactly a hack, but that's the Google search I did to find this information.
Wikibooks has an amazing How-To book on the Motorola 6412 HD DVR that we get from Metrocast:
The single most useful thing I found was how to program a 30-second skip button on the remote:
1. Press the "CBL" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2. Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "CBL" button blinks twice.
3. Type in the code 994. The "CBL" button will blink twice.
4. Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button.
5. Type in the code 00173.
6. Press whatever button you want to map the 30-second skip command to. The "CBL" button will blink twice if successful, or once if not.
I programmed the A button for this and the B button for a 15-second rewind (00179 in step 5). Then, when a commercial break starts during playback, I just hit A eight times and B once--which puts me just before the end of a standard 4 minute commercial break.
Another tidbit: the SWAP button at the bottom of the remote lets you switch between the 2 tuners in the 6412. Unlike changing channels or using the LAST button, the 6412 keeps recording from both tuners, so you can SWAP and then rewind to see what you missed.