spc
uniqs

muckdog
@sbcglobal.net

muckdog to muckdog

Anon

to muckdog

Re: dsl static on phone line

Toaster, there is a house alarm present. It's raining and dark, so going outside will probably have to wait until saturday when I have some daylight to play with.

When the phone is picked up, I do not lose sync with the modem. Everything works fine, I just have static and hissing on the phone I'm talking on.

Illusionist, that sounds a bit more complicated than what I want to do, but maybe I'll get to that point.

Or maybe I'll switch back to cable and forget DSL. (In my area, the cable company throttles the internet to about 2m and charges a boatload, although they will give you a deal when you tell them that you'll switch from or to DSL).
slomike1
join:2005-10-12
San Luis Obispo, CA

slomike1

Did you put a filter on the house alarm telephone connection?
Matthew
Premium Member
join:2001-08-03
Emmett, ID

1 edit

Matthew to muckdog

Premium Member

to muckdog
Hm, good chance that alarm is the culprit. They don't always introduce noise, but some times an alarm can reflect a lot of signal back into the audible range.

If you are paying for monitoring service for your alarm, you may want to call your alarm company and let them know that you now have DSL and suspect that the alarm is causing problems with it.

If the alarm has a jack, you can try using an alarm filter. If I were still a field tech and showed up at your home, I would most likely install a splitter and dedicated wire pair/home run. Its really not that difficult a task if you are comfortable working with telephone wiring.

Another thought, if you are not using the alarm And it has a jack, you might be able to get away with just unplugging the alarm from its jack. If you do that, power cycle the modem after you do, and then check for noise without the alarm in the loop after the modem is back in sync.

Do you know where the control center for the alarm is? Not the panels that you interact with, but the central box that controls the system. That is usually where the jack is, near or in that box.