Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to BLEH

Premium Member

to BLEH

Re: Comcast usage "Abuse"?

said by BLEH :

Yes. I get my speed. In fact I get it all the time. It's THAT good. In fact, if I use their great speed, I might even get a notice! I need to know how many hours per month I can use their great speed before I'm in violation of TOS. You can't seperate one from the other if there are both high speeds streamed to you and invisable caps!
It has nothing to do with the download speed available to you or how many hours you are actively using your connection. It has more to do with knowing how to share with others (something many of us learned in kindergarten, or perhaps even earlier). See [this post] for a explanation of how to be a good broadband neighbor and still be able to download just about anything you wish.

I read it
@comcast.net

I read it

Anon

I read your post and it makes perfect sense. The problem with it is that, as far as we know, Comcast doesn't care if you download 200gb by being a good neighboor or not. Do you have proof indicating otherwise?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by I read it :

I read your post and it makes perfect sense. The problem with it is that, as far as we know, Comcast doesn't care if you download 200gb by being a good neighboor or not. Do you have proof indicating otherwise?
Other than my own usage which sometimes reaches or exceeds that irrelevant arbitrary value, no.

Do you have any proof that exceeding that irrelevant arbitrary value will get you disconnected from Comcast?

Well
@comcast.net

Well

Anon

Well, I'd need to know the "irrelevant arbitrary value" first. I've done about 27down and 10.3 up in the last several days.

And for those people who keep asking what it is that takes up that activity, I'll be up front when it comes to MY usage. For what I'm doing, it's nothing illegal. It's downloading/uploading audio concerts of bands that allow you to do that. Grateful Dead, Phish, DMB, etc...This is NOT commerical activity, it's home entertainment activity. The same kinds of things they show people doing in those commercials. I'd like to know how much I can download and upload to NOT be in violation of the TOS but nobody will tell me I don't want to degrade anybody else's service, but nobody will tell me @ what point that begins. I want to get the ABSOLUTE most that I'm allowed in terms of bandwidth but they keep making the streams faster so the line keeps getting blurrier and blurrier.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 recommendations

NetFixer

Premium Member

Sorry, but I have fed enough trolls for today. My personal irrelevant arbitrary threshold for such activity has been exceeded.

Clearly there are some posters here who need to take a remedial kindergarten class on how to share.

I hope that your internet activities keep you off the road, because I definitely don't want to share the highway tomorrow with any more people than necessary who think that they are entitled to get their personal absolute most usage of the road.

whatever8
@comcast.net

whatever8

Anon

Your analogy is flawed. If I'm in Kindergarden and there's a box of 100 crayons and 10 students, I really shouldn't have more than 10 crayons in front of me. Maybe a little more or less based but not by much! Of course hogging 20,30, 40+ crayons in this situation isn't being nice. The whole issue is nobody KNOWS what the #s are...

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

2 recommendations

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by whatever8 :

Your analogy is flawed. If I'm in Kindergarden and there's a box of 100 crayons and 10 students, I really shouldn't have more than 10 crayons in front of me. Maybe a little more or less based but not by much! Of course hogging 20,30, 40+ crayons in this situation isn't being nice. The whole issue is nobody KNOWS what the #s are...
Even my youngest grandchild knows the answer to your crayon analogy (hint: how many hands do you have and how many crayons can you actually use at any given time?).
Expand your moderator at work

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer

Perhaps a better analogy would be you(not you Netfixer) have 10 crayons and 100 students. The bandwidth hoggers would be the ones who would always be using a crayon and not sharing with others thereby affecting other users who want to color!
Expand your moderator at work

Troll Rule
@comcast.net

Troll Rule to NetFixer

Anon

to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

said by whatever8 :

I will break my troll rule and reply to this ridiculous statement.

Even my youngest grandchild knows the answer to your crayon analogy (hint: how many hands do you have and how many crayons can you actually use at any given time?).
So if Comcast is the teacher in this analogy, they promise the kids a zillion colors, don't tell the class many crayons there are, and beat the hell out of them when they take one crayon too many?

Why not just provide as many crayons as they imply with the zillion colors instead.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to capper

MVM

to capper
said by capper :

And don't forget that their definition of ABUSE is using anything approaching 20% of your available bandwidth!
You aren't buying "available" bandwidth. You are buying download speed.
NormanS

1 recommendation

NormanS to a non mouse

MVM

to a non mouse
said by a non mouse :

why did they just upgrade the speeds if they are going to ban people who actually use it??
Speed != volume. Comcast offers 8Mbits/s down so you can grab your data 3x faster than I can grab it on my 3Mbits/s connection. Not so you can grab more than I, but so you can grab it in less time than I.

Extreme
@comcast.net

Extreme

Anon

Let's take your "It's speed not volume" analogy to the extreme then. Let's suppose the bandwidth cap is 5GB a month. I suspect it's not, but I don't really know and you agree that there's no need to reveal what the cap actually is. You, being on a fast tier, will hit your CAP much quicker. How low would the cap actually have to be before you stood up and said "this is BS?" 5gb? 10gb? 3gb? What do you think is reasonable and why do you think it's reasonable?

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

Considering that I can only find about 400GBytes of shows worth downloading in two years, your question is hardly relevant. I can't hit any Comcast bandwidth cap because there isn't enough stuff out there worth trying for.

I can download all the shows worth getting on 1536kbits/s, and have volume to spare.

What are you downloading that you can hit 200GBytes per month? If it is that important, and valuable, why not rent a fatter pipe from a real bandwidth provider?

Capper
@comcast.net

Capper

Anon

said by NormanS:

What are you downloading that YOUR HOUSEHOLD can hit 200GBytes per month?
Shouldn't that question be:

What is YOUR HOUSEHOLD downloading that you can hit 200GBytes per month?

I realize that you might only have 1 or 2 poeple using the internet in your house, but many BBR readers have 4 or 5 (or more) people in their house using the internet.

Imposing invisible caps forces the primary account holder to be an internet cop for Comcast. It is a good idea to protect your kids from inappropriate content on the net, but it should be optional. With hidden caps, Comcast is almost forcing it down your throat.

cracker 52
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

cracker 52

Anon

As has been said many times before, Comcast has built its network/plant and can set any kind of rules/policies as they desire. And they are not going to change them because of postings on this board (thank God).

So, if you don't like Comcast rules/policies, then don't use their service. Just go to another ISP provider or a commercial service connection.

Rules
@comcast.net

Rules

Anon

I would love nothing more than to comply with comcast rules. They just won't tell me what they are.

cracker 52
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

cracker 52

Anon

Not revealing what the caps are is part of their policies. So again, if you don't like it, then go to another provider or a commercial provider who have specific caps.

Your Mama
@comcast.net

Your Mama

Anon

said by cracker 52 :

Not revealing what the caps are is part of their policies. So again, if you don't like it, then go to another provider or a commercial provider who have specific caps.
That's a pretty simplistic statement. Kinda like "America, Love it or leave it". What's next, name calling?

cracker 52
@comcast.net

cracker 52

Anon

I'm certainly not calling anyone names. Just laying out the facts and the alternatives.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Capper

MVM

to Capper
said by Capper :

I realize that you might only have 1 or 2 poeple using the internet in your house, but many BBR readers have 4 or 5 (or more) people in their house using the internet.
400GBytes in two years = 16.66GBytes per month. Multiplied by five people is 83.333GBytes per month. Well under any "invisible cap".
Imposing invisible caps forces the primary account holder to be an internet cop for Comcast. It is a good idea to protect your kids from inappropriate content on the net, but it should be optional. With hidden caps, Comcast is almost forcing it down your throat.
You are wrong about that. Comcast only has "X" amount of bandwidth available to share amongst 10^6 customers. They have to monitor bandwidth usage so they don't get a lot of complaints about lack of speed from customers affected by the half dozen heavy file traders on their nodes.

The Comcast AUP/TOS, which, like your state motor vehicle code, you are supposed to be familiar with, has given you a "Basic Download Volume Law". Just as you need to monitor your speed when you drive, you need to monitor your download volume.

I am able to cram 26 half-hour episodes of anime onto a 4.7GByte DVD, stored as "data" (raw .avi files). I just checked my HDD. I have 116GBytes of anime, over 800 half hour episodes collected just in the last six monts, or so. There is no way that I can watch them all over the next year. Five people might be able to watch them all, individually, on their own computers.

You can shuck, and you can jive; I am just not convinced that even five people can hit that "invisible" Comcast cap consistently. Not unless they are downloading every TV show recorded in the last five years.

Counter
@comcast.net

Counter

Anon

There were some reports earlier in the thread of people @ 80GB getting the notice. We just don't know! And is it per calender month? Per 30 days? Is it on a daily basis (ie, I only download 35 gigs in a month, but I do 15 of them in one day, which, on a monthly basis is 450GB which WOULD be over the invisable cap)...It's impossible to be able to manage your bandwidth while still maximizing your legal downloading when you don't know the cap!

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Counter :

...I only download 35 gigs in a month, but I do 15 of them in one day, which, on a monthly basis is 450GB which WOULD be over the invisable cap)...
You are either downloading only 35GBytes in a month, or you are downloading 450GBytes in a month. Which is it?

Neither
@comcast.net

Neither

Anon

I have done and am doing neither. I'm just a customer who wants to download a lot and not get noticed. But that's a legit question. 15 a day is 450 a month. But if you don't do 15 every day then it doesn't amount to 450. So if you do under 100 but top 15 in a day, does that set the trigger off since it's above the cap on a prorated?

Morty7
Premium Member
join:2004-09-18

Morty7 to Counter

Premium Member

to Counter
said by Counter :

There were some reports earlier in the thread of people @ 80GB getting the notice. We just don't know! And is it per calender month? Per 30 days? Is it on a daily basis (ie, I only download 35 gigs in a month, but I do 15 of them in one day, which, on a monthly basis is 450GB which WOULD be over the invisable cap)...It's impossible to be able to manage your bandwidth while still maximizing your legal downloading when you don't know the cap!
No, there isn't, and if anyone said they did, they're a liar, plain and simple. People use to get warnings for 100 GB many years back shortly after Comcast purchased ATTBI.
Morty7

Morty7 to Neither

Premium Member

to Neither
said by Neither :

I have done and am doing neither. I'm just a customer who wants to download a lot and not get noticed. But that's a legit question. 15 a day is 450 a month. But if you don't do 15 every day then it doesn't amount to 450. So if you do under 100 but top 15 in a day, does that set the trigger off since it's above the cap on a prorated?
Daily amounts don't matter, it's based off end of the month data.
Morty7

Morty7 to Capper

Premium Member

to Capper
said by Capper :

said by NormanS:

What are you downloading that YOUR HOUSEHOLD can hit 200GBytes per month?

If you're downloading 300 - 600GB per month, YOU should know that someone is doing that. That is a lot of content, and you're probably watching it on your TV... This does come up now and again (about 10% of bandwidth abusers from my experience) and they're the nicest and most understanding to deal with.

The categories again are:

1) 10% "My son(s) use the computers", I will talk to them about it (Issue resolved)
2) 30% "Act surprised" but you get the clear impression that they are aware of it, and just don't want to make it seem as if they were doing it on purpose. I figure some of these people are the curious "push the limits" types. (Issue resolved)
3) 60% "It's my god damn internet, and you can take it from my cold dead hands" --- Account Terminated (Issue resolved )

upload
@comcast.net

upload to Morty7

Anon

to Morty7
said by Morty7:

said by Neither :

And what about Upload? Is it counted the same as download (as in, what matters is the total bandwidth?

That is to say, someone with 100GB DL and 2 GB UL is viewed the same as someone with 52 down and 50 up as far as the "invisable cap" is concerned?

Morty7
Premium Member
join:2004-09-18

Morty7

Premium Member

said by upload :

said by Morty7:

said by Neither :

And what about Upload? Is it counted the same as download (as in, what matters is the total bandwidth?

That is to say, someone with 100GB DL and 2 GB UL is viewed the same as someone with 52 down and 50 up as far as the "invisable cap" is concerned?
It's viewed as, how it degrades the network to others in your area.