The Eye's Mind
Premium Member
join:2001-07-04
Canada

davidsmind to Zuhaib

Premium Member

to Zuhaib

Re: The One Page Linux Manual

I'm sorry if any of my past post sounded like flame, for that was not there intended purpose. Most of my comments were not made spesifically for you Maranello, nor were they to be ingnored by you. All I was really trying to say is that using that sheet would probebly get a n008 nowhere, and I mean nowhere! If they are logged in as a normal user and type 'rpm -Uvh packagename' as the sheet suggests, they get lovley messages like these:

"error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Permission denied (13)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm"

I wouldn't recommend this sheet for newbies, but I would reccommend this for people who have been using Linux for a few months. That's all i'm saying.

Maranello
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Butler, PA

Maranello

MVM

I do understand what your saying and I didnt take it like a flame

Crypto5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-07
Saint Charles, MO

Crypto5 to davidsmind

Premium Member

to davidsmind
Dave. Chill. I've been doing this professionally for almost a decade. You know what? Cheat sheets rock. I've got one for vi RIGHT HERE ON MY WALL AT WORK.

If you're sole purpose is to internalize every possible syntax for every command installed on your box, then fine. yell at people for using a cheat sheet.

The rest of the world uses them on a regular basis. I sure do. Every admin I know has at least one cheat sheet.

If you want to call people newbies, that's fine. But if they are newbies, then they probably dont know what a noob is, and they DEFINITELY cannot decrypt your leetspeek "N008".

If you want to be a jerk, do it on IRC with your l337 h4x0r friends. The sheet was posted as a helpful tip, and this forum has no room for either 13375p34k or arrogance.

[text was edited by author 2001-11-08 17:31:00]

Eric
Animals Rule This Land
MVM
join:2000-09-29
I see trees.

Eric

MVM

Well stated bellers.

davidsmind
The Eye's Mind
Premium Member
join:2001-07-04
Canada

davidsmind to Crypto5

Premium Member

to Crypto5
Why do you think I am not "chill", those past posts were friendly warnings nothing more. You have totally mis-interpreted what I said, a cheat sheet for vi is somthing completly different then a "One Page Linux Manual". I have seen many-a-N008 (yeah so what I use H4X0R S933K, I have been for quite some time now, and I don't intend on stopping) come here with high hopes, then they screw up there systems and blame there OS. The one thing I wanted to get across was "NEWBIES" should not look at this sheet as some sort of all inclusive refrence manual, In fact they shouldn't look at it at all, there are many a thing on there that can be seriosly detrimental to one's computer. Having said that, I loved this sheet and printed it out on my wall, *BUT* I still think it's no good for newbies.

I hold no anamosity for you Maranello for posting this so called "One Page Linux Manual", or Bellers for critisizing me or the writer of this cheat sheet:). I don't think any of you are wrong I just think this kind of document should not be taken without warning ^_^