spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cbrain (banned)
join:2000-05-21
Silver Spring, MD

cbrain (banned)

Why now?

Cable rates have increased above the rate of inflation for as long as I can remember. I agree with his observations and goal, but I wonder about the timing of addressing this problem as the telcos want to enter the market.
nasadude
join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

nasadude

said by cbrain:

... but I wonder about the timing of addressing this problem as the telcos want to enter the market.
no need to wonder - Martin works for the telcos, not the consumer. I also think Martin is getting desperate that there be some glimmer of competition, whether it's real or not.

The bi-monthly or so "BPL is GREAT" press release doesn't seem to be working.

Just asserting that competition exists usually works with the gullible congress and gullible press, but the annual cable rate increases sort of reveal these assertions for the lies they are.

That leaves "unleashing" the telcos to offer TV service without requiring local franchises. This will work until the rules get passed and it becomes obvious that duopoly competition is only marginally better than no competition.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

JTRockville to cbrain

Premium Member

to cbrain
said by cbrain:

Cable rates have increased above the rate of inflation for as long as I can remember. I agree with his observations and goal, but I wonder about the timing of addressing this problem as the telcos want to enter the market.
Way back when there was price regulation, cable rates were pretty steady. But prices were deregulated when exclusive agreements were eliminated. But all we got out of that deal was higher priced services, leaving most of us wondering where the flood of providers begging to serve us ended up.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

We have FIOS and Comcast compeating in our township. So, of course our rates went down. JUST KIDDING Rates went up for both services