uniqs
share rss forum feed

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to pnh102

Re: FCC Sanity?

quote:
Like any commodity, a lack of competition leads directly to high prices.
Which is why FIOS, DirecTV, Dish, and Comcast are roughly (within $5/mo) the same price for each other... Also the reason FIOS also raised rates this year.

Competition almost never guarantees low prices. It just makes you feel better about the price you pay. A panacea if you will.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
said by itguy05:

Which is why FIOS, DirecTV, Dish, and Comcast are roughly (within $5/mo) the same price for each other... Also the reason FIOS also raised rates this year.
Cable would have gone out of business if not for satellite TV, however. Had satellite not initially provided some sort of competition for cable TV, cable providers would not have offered new services like On Demand, DVRs, real high definition programming and the like.
said by itguy05:

Competition almost never guarantees low prices. It just makes you feel better about the price you pay. A panacea if you will.
Competition does allows you to play the providers against one another to get a better deal for yourself. Quite a few people have used with success the threat of moving from one provider to another as a means to get their current provider to continue a promotional rate where it would have otherwise expired.
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to itguy05
Im not sure where you live, but if I had chose cable instead of Dishnetwork and received the same programing I would be paying about $21 a month more with cable.

bbenso1

join:2004-11-28
Baltimore, MD
reply to itguy05
said by itguy05:

Umm, a panacea is a cure-all. That is, a solution to all problems, cure for all diseases. I don't think that's what you meant, was it?

»dictionary.reference.com/browse/panacea

Ahrenl

join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA
Not to mention I wouldn't call, in any way, the present oligopoly that exists in the communications delivery market, a competitive market at all. So it seems that OP has expressed several logical fallacies.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to pnh102
said by pnh102:

Cable would have gone out of business if not for satellite TV, however. Had satellite not initially provided some sort of competition for cable TV, cable providers would not have offered new services like On Demand, DVRs, real high definition programming and the like.
Are you sure thats what you meant? If a company exists without any competition, they have a better chance of prospering, not the other way around. If there was no competition, there would have been no reason for them to expand their service offerings, they would just have to keep raising the prices of their existing products.
--
" Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
said by RickNY:

Are you sure thats what you meant?
Yes. There was a brief period a few years back when satellite TV was killing cable. I remember when Comcast was offering satellite TV subscribers $400 in discounts to become cable subscribers.

However, cable now offers more of the types of services that satellite TV offers. If cable had not made these improvements, those providers would have continued to lose customers to satellite.

Of course, if there were no satellite TV providers, cable would still be making money hand over fist but their product offerings would be worse than what they currently offer.
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to bbenso1
quote:
Umm, a panacea is a cure-all.
Yes. Everyone thinks competition is the cure all for high prices and innovation. What they fail to realize is that it is rarely the cure all. It's basically "who do you want to pay you $xxx to?"

They always think competition will result in massively lower rates.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to pnh102
quote:
I highly doubt that. HD programming followed the trend in big screen HD sets. I'd say that one was driven more by consumers and CE companies vs competition.

The rest is nice, but more like a natural evolution. DVR's were the result of Tivo coming on the scene and the CableCo's realizing that they could make $9.99 off Tivo-like functionality.

quote:
Competition does allows you to play the providers against one another to get a better deal for yourself. Quite a few people have used with success the threat of moving from one provider to another as a means to get their current provider to continue a promotional rate where it would have otherwise expired.
And many more are told "see you". And if you do switch, it's often for a short time before your rates go up. I have been with both sat providers and now comcast. After all the rate increases on sat, Comcast is roughly (within $5-10) what I was paying DirecTV.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

Im not sure where you live, but if I had chose cable instead of Dishnetwork and received the same programing I would be paying about $21 a month more with cable.
You are getting the shaft from your cableco. Here Comcast is about $5-10 more than Dish/Directv.

Fatal Vector

join:2005-11-26
reply to itguy05
"After all the rate increases on sat, Comcast is roughly (within $5-10) what I was paying DirecTV."

Which is the current marketing technique. This will also happen with fiber in a few years. They will just set the prices so close to each other that it will not matter who you get service from. Standard price fixing collusion.

Fatal Vector

join:2005-11-26
reply to itguy05

Fact is, rates NEVER go down for regular service for ANY reason other than a limited promo, or, gov/court order.

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA
reply to itguy05
Comcast was _much_ more expensive to start than DirecTv

1 tuner Directv = $39.99

Analog service on Comcast was $50.40 (no standard basic available in my zip )

Digital was $60.10 for 1 tuner.

I have 3 tuners on DirecTv with the 'plus' package and pay $57/month after all taxes and fees.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2
said by en102:

Comcast was _much_ more expensive to start than DirecTv

1 tuner Directv = $39.99

Analog service on Comcast was $50.40 (no standard basic available in my zip )

Digital was $60.10 for 1 tuner.

I have 3 tuners on DirecTv with the 'plus' package and pay $57/month after all taxes and fees.
Of course, you realize that if you had no standard basic then you were not protected by a municipal franchise agreement. That is another drawback of dropping franchise agreements... the telcos will not have to carry a basic package (which means to rate regulation).
--
ISCABBS - the oldest and largest BBS on the Internet
telnet://bbs.iscabbs.com
Professional Geographer
Geographic Information Science researcher

braynes
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Waterville, ME
reply to pnh102
"Competition does allows you to play the providers against one another to get a better deal for yourself. Quite a few people have used with success the threat of moving from one provider to another as a means to get their current provider to continue a promotional rate where it would have otherwise expired."

Not where I live they say ok sorry good luck,bye-bye.
Bruce