uniqs
share rss forum feed

kd6cae
P2p Shouldn't Be A Crime

join:2001-08-27
Lancaster, CA
Reviews:
·Consolidated Sma..

do business users really get better upload?

I can only speak for my current cable provider here which is Charter, but prior to July, the best a consumer could get was a crappy 3000/256, while Charter business users choosing cable internet could get 5000/1000. Now however, a consumer can get up to 10000/1000, yet last I checked, a business user wanting cable high speed internet still only gets 5000/1000. So just how are the business Charter cable users benifiting from faster upstream speeds, when near as I can tell, they're getting the same upload speeds now? I know with Cox business cable service I believe there is a slight increase in upstream, like around 100kbps or so, I don't know if Charter does this though. Even still, we know existing cable networks can provide 2mbps upload, so why aren't even business customers getting to see this? And only those users in FIOS areas are getting a chance to see what cable can truly offer? If it can be offered there, then I should be able to get those kinds of speeds over cable too if I want them!

raye
Premium
join:2000-08-14
Orange, CA
DS3, Sprint, home connection, $3k/month, 45 Mbps upstream/downstream.

If you need the speed (and have the business model to afford it) they will come and install the fiber.

HyPeRbAnD

join:2006-01-07
Stow, MA

1 edit
reply to kd6cae
said by kd6cae:

I can only speak for my current cable provider here which is Charter, but prior to July, the best a consumer could get was a crappy 3000/256, while Charter business users choosing cable internet could get 5000/1000. Now however, a consumer can get up to 10000/1000, yet last I checked, a business user wanting cable high speed internet still only gets 5000/1000. So just how are the business Charter cable users benifiting from faster upstream speeds, when near as I can tell, they're getting the same upload speeds now? I know with Cox business cable service I believe there is a slight increase in upstream, like around 100kbps or so, I don't know if Charter does this though. Even still, we know existing cable networks can provide 2mbps upload, so why aren't even business customers getting to see this? And only those users in FIOS areas are getting a chance to see what cable can truly offer? If it can be offered there, then I should be able to get those kinds of speeds over cable too if I want them!
Charter offers higher upload speeds to business customers They are using a mix of QPSK and 16QAM upstream. We just did some major upgrades over the past 6months in our headends to accommodate these higher data rates.

Charter also offers fiber directly to the business if they want it. We have hundreds of fiber business customers in my area. We have a lot of dark fibers available to accommodate what we need for foreseeable future.

By the way I am speaking for my area in Mass in CT, I cannot say this for all Charter systems.

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA
reply to raye
I used to have a DS-3 at work (12 users ) with a connection to XO's main backbone. It was nice, and with a class C of IP addresses to boot.