Search similar:

uniqs
rossi2
join:2003-04-10
Scarborough, ON

rossi2

Speedstream 6520 Wireless

Hey guys,
I know there was a post or some sort of instructions on here on how to get the wireless working for this modem. I do enable it through the modem itself but than while searching for connections on a laptop for example, it finds nothing.

Any ideas?

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

Glen1

MVM

Sounds like a defective modem. If you have enabled the wireless on the modem and you cannot see the SSID in your laptop then either the modem is defective or your wireless is turned off on the new laptop...there can be a switch on the laptop to turn the internal wireless nic to the "on" position.
rossi2
Scarborough, ON

rossi2

yeayuh

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

said by rossi2:

yeayuh
good answer

ische
@dsl.bell.ca

ische to rossi2

Anon

to rossi2

sureRe: Speedstream 6520 Wireless

turn protocol to open and take all the security off
also make sure the receiving modem is set to the same channel as the router under advanced area.
from there the ssid will show up. Then the security will need to be set up first on the dsl and then on the computer
good luck it worked for me.
bohn
join:2006-05-30
Scarborough, ON

bohn to rossi2

to rossi2

Re: Speedstream 6520 Wireless

I sent the 6520 back the day i got it as i have modems far superior to it. So 15 bucks wasted for shipping plus my time and effort to ship the useless thing back to bell. I think the wireless has a range of about 3 feet. Come to think of it i'm paying them 50 bucks a month while everyone is only paying $46.95. Hmmn anyone interested in a class action lawsuit? I have plenty of time and resources.
rossi2
Scarborough, ON

rossi2 to ische

to ische

Re: sureRe: Speedstream 6520 Wireless

said by ische :

turn protocol to open and take all the security off
also make sure the receiving modem is set to the same channel as the router under advanced area.
from there the ssid will show up. Then the security will need to be set up first on the dsl and then on the computer
good luck it worked for me.
You're talking about using the 6520 as the modem/router at the same time though right?
So maybe it shouldn't be on channel 11? I have the encruption disabled for now. And I have enabled SSID broadcast...I'll have to fiddle around with the channels maybe.

Stonr
join:2006-08-10
Etobicoke, ON

Stonr

You can also try using NetStumbler to see if it picks up the 6520's SSID. Sometimes the Windows Zero Config utility (if you're using Windows) might be acting up. I'm assuming you've tried connecting to other AP's using the same laptop?

usingwireless
@dsl.bell.ca

usingwireless

Anon

if you cant see the ssid in most cases its not the modem it s usually a button/switch or a combo/function key that you have to turn on for the laptop to start looking for a wireless signal. if you want to test this take the laptop into pretty much any area downtown in any city and look for the available wireless networks ....if it still doesn t find any....you need to turn on the wireless in our laptop.

by default in many laptops its turned off in an effort to extend the battery life of the laptop.

swinder
@ttnet.net.tr

swinder

Anon

kind of different but same at origin problem here. wireless is being activated, SSID broadcast disabled and MAC filter is on. ok for now, but then after 5-7 mins passes, the wireless goes off (the led goes off). but when i check the wireless setup through gateway, it says its on and working as intended. but it is not!

aany particular way to solve this out? maybe a firmware upgrade or so?