Premium Member
join:2001-10-29
Indianapolis, IN

GlobalMind to phattieg

Premium Member

to phattieg

Re: Special market...

said by phattieg:

Comcast offers Teleworker accounts too, but you have to get your company to go for it. It sounds like they want YOU to do all the spending AND work. Corporate America, pftt.
I checked into one of those not long ago and from what I recall it wasn't much better than what I have now, other than perhaps download speed.

My company will actually pay for my internet access should I care to expense it. The key would be having them agree to pay for a say over $100 a month fee, which from what I recall is what most of those went for. Have to go check again and see what they have now.

Kevin.

phattieg
join:2001-04-29
Winter Park, FL

phattieg

said by GlobalMind:
said by phattieg:

Comcast offers Teleworker accounts too, but you have to get your company to go for it. It sounds like they want YOU to do all the spending AND work. Corporate America, pftt.
I checked into one of those not long ago and from what I recall it wasn't much better than what I have now, other than perhaps download speed.

My company will actually pay for my internet access should I care to expense it. The key would be having them agree to pay for a say over $100 a month fee, which from what I recall is what most of those went for. Have to go check again and see what they have now.

Kevin.
If their standards are "you gotta get it done by ::blah::" then you're stuck with residential. If they say "eh, you work quick anyway, you'll get more done with a faster upload" then you're in luck. Again, I understand your delima too, and I want more upload, but I couldn't justify it at the moment with your reasoning if you're using a residential account. C'mon, you're stealing MY bandwidth too. By the way, CMTS cards are provisioned for upstream, AND downstream, so you could either share a pipe with both CMTS cards, or you can be provisioned (example) card A for upload, card D for download. Lots of tricks to make speed issues go away, thats why usually it's not a provider issue. Just food for thought.

GlobalMind
Domino Dude, POWER Systems Guy
Premium Member
join:2001-10-29
Indianapolis, IN

GlobalMind

Premium Member

said by phattieg:

If their standards are "you gotta get it done by ::blah::" then you're stuck with residential. If they say "eh, you work quick anyway, you'll get more done with a faster upload" then you're in luck. Again, I understand your delima too, and I want more upload, but I couldn't justify it at the moment with your reasoning if you're using a residential account. C'mon, you're stealing MY bandwidth too. By the way, CMTS cards are provisioned for upstream, AND downstream, so you could either share a pipe with both CMTS cards, or you can be provisioned (example) card A for upload, card D for download. Lots of tricks to make speed issues go away, thats why usually it's not a provider issue. Just food for thought.
When they moved me to home office there weren't any guidelines per-se but I think it is understood the type of service we're talking about. The other thing honestly is that I kinda like having the pipe be "mine" instead of being paid for by them.

Several of our other techs do in fact expense theirs, and everyone's using a residential class service. BellSouth's been good to me so far, but Comcast is now an option as well.

You are correct that us teleworkers out there are indeed using bandwidth everyone shares to some degree, although I don't believe the impact is all that great at least in our area.

K.

phattieg
join:2001-04-29
Winter Park, FL

phattieg

said by GlobalMind:
said by phattieg:

When they moved me to home office there weren't any guidelines per-se but I think it is understood the type of service we're talking about. The other thing honestly is that I kinda like having the pipe be "mine" instead of being paid for by them.

Several of our other techs do in fact expense theirs, and everyone's using a residential class service. BellSouth's been good to me so far, but Comcast is now an option as well.

You are correct that us teleworkers out there are indeed using bandwidth everyone shares to some degree, although I don't believe the impact is all that great at least in our area.

K.
I don't mind shared bandwidth. I figure if I can share a server with 300+ modems, and still achieve my max download, fairly consistently, then I have nothing to worry about. Teleworkers aren't that bad, actually. You probably use on occasion, what I was using in bandwidth for my VoIP server.