how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CajunWon

join:2005-12-30
Cary, NC

[TWC] RR Outage? Raleigh NC

Where (url) can I find status of the local RR network?

Starting around 10am, my internet connection seems to have slowed to a crawl -much slower than dialup. I have images turned off and it takes 4minutes to load the Google search page.
Since I've not experienced issues with RR for the 12 months I've had it, where can I find status of the local RR network?

Could it be my cable modem? I have unplugged it/ plugged back in (obviously). Or is there a general slowdown.

With VOIP I get dialtone, takes 40sec to connect, but can't get through to the local TWC customer service, fast and slow busies.

Outsourced1
Premium
join:2002-03-17
Holly Springs, NC

Just so you know, you aren't alone.

It took me over half an hour to get here looking to see if anyone knows what's up.

I can't get to the roadrunner website to check the network status.

malikeye

join:2002-09-02
Raleigh, NC

I got this from a local IRC channel :

"Major Fiber cut in Raleigh for TimeWarner Cable"

"the cut is in Raleigh - it affected all those folks immediately, and now (I guess) TWC is trying to find alternater routes for all that traffic - and really gumming up their internal net."

Not sure of the accuracy, but it sounds about right to me.

Getting sustained 3K/s.

Here is the link to the report : »help.rr.com/HMSLogic/network_status.aspx

You will need to drill down the Raleigh-Durham, if you can wait that long for the javascript to load

Glad I don't have VOIP, cause I wouldn't be able to call in and complain that my service was down

Later....

HardCoder

join:2006-07-22
Raleigh, NC
reply to CajunWon

I'm getting a busy signal calling 1-866-4TWCNOW for a different issue. Anyone else in the area getting this too? Could be they're just swamped with calls from the outage.

malikeye

join:2002-09-02
Raleigh, NC

I got through, but the message basically says "we are aware, go away".

embj
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Durham, NC
reply to CajunWon

Yup...looks as if the fiber was cut. Just found the story on WRAL...

Raleigh — As many as 250,000 Time Warner Cable customers in the Triangle area lost their service Thursday morning after a construction accident, officials said.

Time Warner spokesman Tom Lawrence said a fiber-optic cable between Raleigh and Durham was cut. Crews have located the problem, and are trying to repair it.

Service in Durham, Chapel Hill and Moore County isn't affected by the outage, Lawrence said.
»www.wral.com/news/local/story/1114129/
I'm not noticing any slow downs so far down here in Fayetteville.

Outsourced1
Premium
join:2002-03-17
Holly Springs, NC
reply to CajunWon

Interestingly enough, Channel 14, the local Time Warner news channel and Channel 100, the local Time Warner weather channel are also down.
I wonder if it's related?

CajunWon

join:2005-12-30
Cary, NC

1 edit
reply to CajunWon

And.... We're back!

Gave me an excuse to work on my LAN disaster recovery plan. Did some cleanup and Ghost backups.
I had just switched voip codec to G729 for its' low bandwidth requirement. Almost as if that move triggered the return of high-speed.

And, all of a sudden I hear the local TWC news channel is back on -left on in other room.

embj
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Durham, NC
reply to CajunWon

Wow...they updated the story:

"A dump truck drove under the cable that crossed Glenwood near Brownleigh Road, and something sticking upright out of the back of the truck knocked down a cable with 144 fiber-optic lines, he said."

Honestly, they should have different routes setup in the routing tables in case of events like this! So, much for reliability.