how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Murph1

join:2005-09-02
New London, CT

Local stations

When it comes to local CT channels, how is that we are also allowed a couple of Providence (market) stations?
--
Murph

billh491

join:2001-08-09
Pomfret Center, CT

When I had video I could never figure out why we had RI stations and felt having two NBC's was a waste of a channel that could make way for one we did not have.

But I did not grow up in the area so I guess because we are so close to RI people were use to getting these stations over the air. So maybe that is why we have them. In fact I would bet some of us live closer to the RI stations then the New Haven ones.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL
reply to Murph1

Heh, up here in NH, I think I have like 3 ABC stations, Boston Mass, Manchester NH, and Portland Maine.

Another station I have is out of VT. Im used to having stations from different states, even if they are affiliated with a local one.
--
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

Disclaimer: These are MY comments, my employer cant be held responsible.

goddan

join:2001-01-15
Quaker Hill, CT
reply to billh491

Top uses for RI stations:

1. In the run-up to the election, when I got fed up with the inane and endlessly repeated ads for the CT politicians, I could switch to the ads for the RI politicians -- equally inane, but at least different.

2. It reminds me of how parochial the local news coverage is. I actually live closer to Providence than Bridgeport, Waterbury or Stamford. I get to hear about every shooting and every traffic jam in the CT cities, but never a mention of anyting in RI. And God forbid that a RI station should mention anything in CT.

3. And most importantly, if I miss Jeopardy at 7:00 on channel 8, I can watch it at 7:30 on 12.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

Brierfield, AL

said by goddan:

3. And most importantly, if I miss Jeopardy at 7:00 on channel 8, I can watch it at 7:30 on 12.
thats the best reason right there
--

billh491

join:2001-08-09
Pomfret Center, CT
reply to Murph1

One thing I miss on the RI station was they use to broadcast a real peoples court, Old white haired judge giving it to all the speeders and parking ticket evaders.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
·DIRECTV
reply to tenpin784

said by tenpin784:

said by goddan:

thats the best reason right there
What do you get out of VT?

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

Brierfield, AL

uhh, oops

i thought i had a VT station, but alas, i was wrong.

what got me was there is a WGME 'affiliate' in white river junction, vt, thats what I was thinking of.
--

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

piece of advice

Tenpin,

If there is one thing i could ask that metrocast does better it is updating there site. The new rates are not up/ the channel changes and the new internet speeds.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

Brierfield, AL
reply to Murph1

Re: Local stations

I will throw an email to marketing tomorrow, to see if they even have plans on updating the site.