how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jatan1986

join:2005-01-03
Chicago, IL

X-550 Internet connection keeps going out

Bought the X-550 router in Aug/Sept and finally decided to install it yesterday (bought a Xbox 360 a few weeks ago so this router should work better for Xbox Live since my old Belkin makes me lag a little)

I updated the firmware to 1.3 first and then setup everything up (internet/wireless/ports). The internet goes out after a few minutes and:
- the network connection on both my computer and laptop reconnects with "limited or no connectivity"
- both WAN & WLAN lights on the router go out
- cant get to router setup page
- have to restart the router a few times for it to work again (pull the power cord for a few mins and then plug it back in a few times for it to work)

Bad firmware? Already tried uploading the 1.3 firmware again but still the same prob (I have SBC/AT&T DSL which works fine with my old Belkin router)

mallow005

@pacbell.net

You know, I can't even update my x-550 to the 1.3 firmware, it keeps saying that it is incorrect or corrupt... but I'm sure I'm downloading the right one! I can only upgrade to 1.1, and I don't want to try the beta firmwares. Maybe the 1.3 firmware was corrupted recently?

rhoni

join:2002-03-11
San Jose, CA
reply to jatan1986

Did you get the 1.3 firmware from the Zyxel website?

I was a able to upgrade to 1.3 after downloading it from the Zyxel site. Make sure you upgradge using the wired connection instead of over the wireless.

jatan1986

Chicago, IL

I got mine from Zyxel website and I did update using a wired connection

I emailed Zyxel tech support so I'll see what they say. I might try out the 1.5 beta or just send it in for repair/replacement (anyone know if I have to pay shipping or do they?)

Doug45

join:2002-08-27
Wheaton, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

One issue I had a while back was the PPPoE connection dropping intermittently. I read in a thread here that this unit is sensitive to 2.4 gHz wireless interference. I was able to switch to 5.8 gHz wireless phones several months ago and have had no trouble since. Are you using any wireless devices (baby monitor, phones, etc)?

jatan1986

Chicago, IL

Bought 5.8GHz phones about a month ago so thats not it - will call up tech support tomorrow when I have time

Reset my old Belkin router and forwarded the ports for Xbox Live so at least that works a little better than before

wldcat2

join:2003-12-21
Aiken, SC

I'll be interested to see what tech support says. I jumped on here today because I'm having the same problem. Lately I've had to reboot the router about once a day. I'm pretty close to trashing it and putting my WRT54G back up. But I'll wait to see if anyone has any answers first.

Karl

radam

join:2004-02-13
Fairfax Station, VA

I read the thread about the X-550 connection drop; that's a bummer. I've heard great things about the ZyXel routers. Coudl itactually be an ISP problem? Is the X-550 sensitive to the cable or modem power levels or SNR?

I'm currently using a WRT54g with the dd-wrt driver. It's a very solid configuration but caps at about 13mbps download. I was told the X-550 will give me the headroom to get to 20 or 30 mbps. Has this been your experience?

jatan1986

Chicago, IL
reply to wldcat2

I'm planning on calling them tomorrow after work or early Wed morning

I thought I would take another stab at it yesterday. First I did a reset and then uploaded the V1.0 firmware and then another reset but it still didnt work right (forgot what the problem was with this firmware). Then I tried (did a reset after uploading each firmware, manually configured the settings each time):
- firmware V1.1: prob with internet connection and static DHCP
- firmware V1.2: prob with internet connection (most stable firmware but the internet stopped working after a couple of hours - Xbox Live lost connection)
- firmware V1.3: internet kept disconnecting (same firmware from my first post)
- firmware V1.5beta: appeared to be working fine but laptops would initially pickup the network and then a few mins later the SSID would stop broadcasting

Didnt bother leaving the router w/ V1.5 on any longer and once again I went back to my old Belkin router lol

jatan1986

Chicago, IL
reply to radam

said by radam:

I read the thread about the X-550 connection drop; that's a bummer. I've heard great things about the ZyXel routers. Coudl itactually be an ISP problem? Is the X-550 sensitive to the cable or modem power levels or SNR?

I'm currently using a WRT54g with the dd-wrt driver. It's a very solid configuration but caps at about 13mbps download. I was told the X-550 will give me the headroom to get to 20 or 30 mbps. Has this been your experience?
My connection works fine with my Belkin router, its just this router is defective I guess (tried of playing around with it - wasted ~10 hours trying to get it to work within the past week)

christcorp
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Cheyenne, WY
kudos:1
reply to Doug45

I'll second Doug's observation of the PPPOE connection dropping. I don't think it's the actual firmware, but possibly the router chip. The reason is, I also have the Trendnet TEW-611BRP which is a duplicate clone of the X-550 but uses trendnet firmware. I had the same PPPOE disconnect issue with that. It could work for weeks without a problem, and then one day the router would just disconnect from the internet. If I would go into the WAN setup and click "Disconnect" then reclick "Connect" it would be fine again. Sucks when you use voip and it's tied into it. I decided to put my DSL modem back into PPPOA mode and leave the X-550 and TEW-611BRP in normal static IP mode. It hasn't dropped at all in that configuration. only in PPPOE. other than that, I love the router. Later... Mike....

TP

join:2001-12-06
Riverside, CA

1 edit

I have had this router about a month and it came with fw version 1.4 and I haven't wanted to risk messing with the firmware since I until yesterday had no major issues (just a pain/buggy to forward ports).

Yesterday my internet connection (not PPPOE) went out and I narrowed it down to the router. I had to reset it from within the router by unloading all the settings and reloading them to get my connection going again. It had also disabled stream engine and gave me some warning about it. Fortunately I was able to reenable the stream engine and it appears to be functioning fine again.

If this problem repeats, I will be trying the beta firmware, but I will still be holding out for a newer firmware at this point.

I like the performance of this router but definitely dissappointed with the bugs and the slow path to patchville from zyxel.

oh, and i do get quite a few dropped calls through this router with my sunrocket voip, but I haven't tried (avoiding) tweaking any of the stream engine settings yet...

--
Bright Futures Tutoring

jatan1986

Chicago, IL

Just called them up and told them I'm having a problem holding onto the internet connection and I've tried all of their firmwares. He wanted to know when I bought it to see if I can exchange at the store, but thats not possible (bought it about 4 months ago lol)

The guy wanted me to clone my computer's MAC ID and then he just leaned towards a RMA (he said I would have to pay the shipping to ship it to them, but they would ship it back at their own cost)

jatan1986

Chicago, IL

So I finally got the replacement router from ZyXEL today (came with 1.3 firmware) and I set it up with my DSL & wireless settings. Then I noticed that the wireless radio switch was OFF so I turned it ON. The router restarted and then nothing worked (PWR & LAN1 lights came on, WAN & WLAN lights stayed off, comp didnt pick up an IP and showed limited connectivity after a minute of trying to connect)

So I turned off the wireless radio switch and the router worked fine again, but it doesnt transmit the SSID so its pretty useless to me lol

Now I have to call them up again to see what they say...