All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DarkmanX207
join:2001-07-29
Canada

DarkmanX207

Cancelling Bell, but how is it done painlessly?

Greetings all,

I've just ordered TekSavvy and although my profile hasn't officially been activated, I'm able to use the username and password for my TekSavvy account and am getting much better service and greater speed in comparison to what I've been getting with Bell Sympatico for the past 2 years.

My intention is to cancel my subscription to Bell immediately. I understand they send some sort of return packaging for the rental modem and phone filters.

Although I'd really like to know how to make this process as painless as possible, i.e. without being offered promotional items of interest, having to wait an hour on Sympatico's Business line, avoiding account and billing tricks, or going through some mindless on screen tech support script.

I should be receiving my TekSavvy modem shortly, but until then will continue to use the SpeedStream modem that Bell has provided. By the time the return kit arrives I should be able to switch the modems without any interruption or gap in service from TekSavvy.

For anyone who has cancelled Sympatico or has any tips, I'd really appreciate hearing from you!

Thank you!

doNOTcall
@dsl.bell.ca

doNOTcall

Anon

demand to be added to their DO NOT CALL LIST, which is crtc regulated and must be complied with upon your request.

This way you won't be hammered with telemarketing BS and this will inform the person you are on the phone with not to bother you further.

AMailer
join:2004-04-03

AMailer to DarkmanX207

to DarkmanX207
Hey,
Im planning on quitting Bell soon too, and I want to switch to A DSL, is teksavvy any good? (well..from what you already know :P).

Also, DONT DO ANYTHING ONLINE is all I can say with bell- I tried moving my connection online and look what happened to me, I got double billed :/ 2 addresses.
BellTechxDSL
join:2006-04-05
Orleans, ON

BellTechxDSL to DarkmanX207

to DarkmanX207
Umm.....I'm confused. Your using Bells High Speed equipment, Bells Telco equipment, Bells network, Bells modem, and Bell HS mainframe...but your saying you now have faster speeds because of a simple name change of account name and password??

I'm sorry, but your a bold faced liar my friend. Nothing was changed at all.
DarkmanX207
join:2001-07-29
Canada

DarkmanX207

As a matter of fact I'm getting an extra 20k on my downloads and all webpages are loading faster. Could be a coincidence, but in either case I'm not interested in name calling and certainly have better things to do than argue over a web forum, my time is diversified well beyond DSL technicalities. I would only comment that you don't derail this thread away from what I originally asked.

In any case, thanks for the suggestions. With regard to TekSavvy's Customer service, they're very kind, knowledgeable and you'll be certain to talk to an actual representative instead of pressing numbers to get through different automated messages. I was setup in about 4 hours time and am expecting the new modem to arrive shortly.

En Enfer
This account has been compromised
join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC

En Enfer to BellTechxDSL

to BellTechxDSL
said by BellTechxDSL:

I'm sorry, but your a bold faced liar my friend. Nothing was changed at all.
What changed is the ROUTING and the location of the destination. I already showed in another thread that Slowpatico's routing decisions are very bad, sending all traffic to New York and Chicago for a P2P connection, even between neighbours using different ISPs.
The thread I started is here:
»Routing problems (Cogent)

I'm still waiting for you to prove to me that Slowpatico's routing is *better*, from and to any destination, in the same city or somewhere else far.

Deadpool0
Go Sens Go
Premium Member
join:2001-03-29
Canada

Deadpool0

Premium Member

No issues with routing here:

Tracing route to www.iweb.ca [209.172.41.170]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  XXXXXXXX
2 8 ms 8 ms 9 ms XXXXXXXX
3 7 ms 7 ms 8 ms dis15-ottawa23_Vlan101.net.bell.ca [64.230.228.41]
4 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms core2-ottawa23_GE15-0.net.bell.ca [64.230.164.41]
5 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms core4-montrealak_POS10-2.net.bell.ca [64.230.204.169]
6 18 ms 52 ms 36 ms core2-newyork83_pos_4_0_0.net.bell.ca [64.230.207.146]
7 18 ms 18 ms 17 ms bx3-newyork83-pos2-0.in.bellnexxia.net [206.108.103.246]
8 18 ms 18 ms 17 ms rtp627337rts [64.230.204.238]
9 18 ms 19 ms 18 ms p5-0.core01.jfk04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.2.106]
10 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms p5-0.core01.ymq01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.2.114]
11 85 ms 27 ms 27 ms vl3807.na22.b019082-1.ymq01.atlas.cogentco.com [38.20.35.90]
12 27 ms 35 ms 27 ms g1-2.mtl-hd-core03.cogent.iweb.ca [38.112.4.46]
13 19 ms 19 ms 20 ms g4-31.mtl-hd-core01.iweb.ca [209.172.50.81]
14 23 ms 22 ms 26 ms thanas.privatedns.com [209.172.41.170]

Trace complete.

En Enfer
This account has been compromised
join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC

En Enfer

said by Deadpool0:

That problem was fixed... Still, your route goes from Ottawa to Montreal in Bell's network, then down to New York, peering with Cogent there, where Cogent will send traffic back in Montreal. Why not peering with Cogent in Montreal? Or go with Peer1 in Montreal? This is ridiculous.

Deadpool0
Go Sens Go
Premium Member
join:2001-03-29
Canada

Deadpool0

Premium Member

said by En Enfer:
said by Deadpool0:

That problem was fixed... Still, your route goes from Ottawa to Montreal in Bell's network, then down to New York, peering with Cogent there, where Cogent will send traffic back in Montreal. Why not peering with Cogent in Montreal? Or go with Peer1 in Montreal? This is ridiculous.
Maybe so, but you're ignoring the big picture and you were told already why they may be routing the way they are. Also keep in mind that Bell only controls what's within their network. The other thing to consider is where Bell and/or Cogent is permitted to route their traffic.

You want Bell to go directly to g1-2.mtl-hd-core03.cogent.iweb.ca from core4-montrealak_POS10-2.net.bell.ca, which is fine, and although appears geographically faster, it may not be. They link may not even exist between those two points. And if it did/does, maybe it's actually slower compared to going to core2-newyork83_pos_4_0_0.net.bell.ca, but distribution routers don't have the gift of foresight, therefore can't predict where your packet will go after that hop.

You want to the way the Internet is designed to change, complain to Cisco!

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

Glen1 to DarkmanX207

MVM

to DarkmanX207
This thread belongs in the Canadian Broadband Forum where you will get the answers you seek. There will be other users there who have disconnected from Sympatico and gone to other ISPs. You are seeing a certain amount of "flak" here as most of the users here are staying with Sympatico...

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to DarkmanX207

Premium Member

to DarkmanX207
Changing ISp's will not give you faster speeds.Pings yes since all the major providers are overloaded provided you dont go to an oversubscribed ISP like 3web.Other than that you will have the same unless they put your on a remote.If you are now on a remote you will have the max or best available for your profile.Bell sets it all and Rocky and gang do what they can with the amount your allowed.This really isnt to the OP just an FYI.
bohn
join:2006-05-30
Scarborough, ON

bohn to DarkmanX207

to DarkmanX207
You don't get a return box anymore. It's up to you to return the modem. I think it's still 15 days. I think you can also return the modem through bell world. Remember get a receipt.
bohn

bohn to DarkmanX207

to DarkmanX207
Probably since teksavvy switched to torix. Routing is much better. From what i've heard their backup network (cogent) isn't all that bad either for download speed.