Search similar:

uniqs

axelrose
Cottage Cheese is my Favorite food!!
join:2005-05-25
Chattanooga, TN

axelrose

[Speed] Don't recycle your modem, ever

Like a dummy, I was experiencing some pausing/freezing on frequent activities and thought of a neat-o idea. I decided to RECYCLE my modem for a few minutes. I also ipconfig'd and retrived a new IP address.

Well now things are far worse than before, my speed has suffered about 1/3rd it's speed AT BEST. I've already done all the test since this and there is nothing that would be causing this problem.

Someone mentioned powerboost and it seems I now have that "feature." I'm sorry that I do know.

Any big download spirals down to 2000kbps range at best, this used to be a steady 6,000kbps at worst.

Speed tests and downloads of those large test files confim this.

Unless I wanted to exclusively download from the Atlanta area I am screwed.

I am at a loss as to what to do next, I don't seem to be able to get a consistant speed on anything anymore.

I will provide some test results if anyone bothers to play with me on this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Let's see some tests to see what you are looking at.

axelrose
Chattanooga, TN

axelrose

said by Johkal:

Let's see some tests to see what you are looking at.
tweak test
»/tweak ··· a=normal

Line quality
»/lineq ··· /2156685

Miami speed test [Im in chattanooga, not paris france]

NYC Speed test [makes no sense to be this different, again I live in tennessee not paris france]

modem stats
Downstream Value
Frequency 579000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 40.1 dB
Power Level -1.5 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 30992000 Hz
Power 51.0 dBmV

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins

MVM

Try an actual download and see how fast it goes.

Right click and Save as this link:

»zdpub.vo.llnwd.net/o2/dl ··· .124.wmv

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
MVM
join:2003-02-18
San Jose, CA

2 recommendations

Nerdtalker to axelrose

MVM

to axelrose
If it did indeed change, it's likely just because you pulled an IP with different (worse) routing.

As strange as it sounds, the solution might be to do it again in the hopes of pulling one with better routing.

axelrose
Chattanooga, TN

axelrose to dadkins

to dadkins
said by dadkins:

Try an actual download and see how fast it goes.

Right click and Save as this link:

»zdpub.vo.llnwd.net/o2/dl ··· .124.wmv
Downloaded around 650 KB/sec

I just can't seem to get consistant speeds, some downloads are fine, usenet is horrible [was fine before], frequently visited web sites are studdering but were fast before.

It's like someone has a switch to the house and is flikering it on and off every 10 seconds.

im lost.
axelrose

axelrose to Nerdtalker

to Nerdtalker
said by Nerdtalker:

If it did indeed change, it's likely just because you pulled an IP with different (worse) routing.

As strange as it sounds, the solution might be to do it again in the hopes of pulling one with better routing.
When I got that new IP it was with a friends help in person.
It was some command in dos prompt ipconfig something.

Care to guide me through it?

thanks,.

Nerdtalker
MVM
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Nerdtalker

MVM

said by axelrose:

Well, first, get to the command prompt by going start -> run -> cmd or hit Windows Key + R -> cmd

Now, he probably just issued an "ipconfig /release" and, after the adapter releases, an "ipconfig /renew". Those are without quotes, of course. Run "ipconfig /all" to see everything about your current adapter statuses.

bangaroo
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13

bangaroo to axelrose

Premium Member

to axelrose
If you want a new IP, you can try this method I describe in this thread. I think the dos prompt you are looking for is >ipconfig /release.
»Cable Broadband! How to change my IP address?

There is a little program called Winipcfg.exe that releases the IP, instead of using the command prompt. The link to Winipcfg.exe does not work anymore, but you can get a clone here »www.codeguru.com/cpp/i-n ··· 55/#more

chadrob30
Howdy
Premium Member
join:2002-04-24
Fort Smith, AR

1 edit

1 recommendation

chadrob30 to axelrose

Premium Member

to axelrose
I did the same thing and the results were also the same. I downloaded the demo file above. Started at 675 then cratered big time. When I stopped the download it was at 180. LOL. I pay for this crap? (I'm with Cox by the way, didn't notice this was the Comcast forum til after I posted.)
usefullinfo
join:2001-11-02
Kennard, NE

usefullinfo

I just learned something, In the FINEPRINT on Hughes net,,, After you use up so much MBs you are put into the no work area, time will reset this and all will be fine again,,, Untill the reset all that you can do is surf,,, This may be the same with other providers....

Big_D7
Premium Member
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA

Big_D7

Premium Member

Comcast doesn't do that.
Expand your moderator at work

axelrose
Chattanooga, TN

axelrose to Nerdtalker

to Nerdtalker

Re: [Speed] Don't recycle your modem, ever

said by Nerdtalker:

said by axelrose:

Well, first, get to the command prompt by going start -> run -> cmd or hit Windows Key + R -> cmd

Now, he probably just issued an "ipconfig /release" and, after the adapter releases, an "ipconfig /renew". Those are without quotes, of course. Run "ipconfig /all" to see everything about your current adapter statuses.
Ok. I did the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. It didn't improve anything.

I also did what someone else sai and replaced the splitter with a better model and I do indeed have RG6 cable inside the room.

so...????
[pulling out hair]
Expand your moderator at work

steelhead78
Premium Member
join:2005-08-23
Carrolltown, PA

steelhead78 to bangaroo

Premium Member

to bangaroo

Re: [Speed] Don't recycle your modem, ever

"There is a little program called Winipcfg.exe that releases the IP, instead of using the command prompt."

That only works with 95, 98 and ME.
xtreem2
join:2001-06-22
Cary, NC

xtreem2

Here's the best way to figure out what's going wrong. Try a traceroute to various routers throughout the country (a good list can be found on the internet traffic report site
»www.internettrafficrepor ··· m#graphs) and then find out where the slowdown is occuring. Then call your ISP and complain and give them these traceroute results.
C:\>tracert sl-gw9-nyc-8-0.sprintlink.net

Tracing route to sl-gw9-nyc-8-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.7.94]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
2 6 ms 6 ms 4 ms 10.42.64.1
3 10 ms 6 ms 5 ms gig2-2.rlghncj-rtr2.nc.rr.com [24.25.1.45]
4 6 ms 7 ms 8 ms srp5-0.rlghncg-rtr1.nc.rr.com [24.25.2.148]
5 10 ms 9 ms 7 ms pos1-0.rlghnca-rtr1.nc.rr.com [24.25.20.17]
6 8 ms 8 ms 7 ms pos14-0.rlghncrdc-rtr1.nc.rr.com [24.25.0.5]
7 8 ms 9 ms 9 ms pos12-0.rlghncrdc-rtr2.nc.rr.com [24.93.64.37]
8 8 ms 16 ms 7 ms te-1-3.car1.raleigh1.level3.net [4.71.160.5]
9 11 ms 15 ms 7 ms ae-11-11.car2.raleigh1.level3.net [4.69.132.174]
10 * * 20 ms ae-6-6.ebr2.washington1.level3.net [4.69.132.178]
11 15 ms 15 ms 14 ms ae-24-56.car4.washington1.level3.net [4.68.121.177]
12 17 ms 18 ms 15 ms sprint-level3-te.washington1.level3.net [4.68.111.170]
13 18 ms 18 ms 16 ms sl-bb24-rly-13-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.188]
14 16 ms 18 ms 16 ms sl-bb20-rly-10-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.14.121]
15 26 ms 25 ms 23 ms sl-bb24-pen-4-0-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.144]
16 24 ms 27 ms 24 ms sl-bb23-pen-8-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.16.65]
17 21 ms 19 ms 24 ms sl-bb26-nyc-13-0-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.122]
18 21 ms 23 ms 23 ms sl-bb20-nyc-15-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.13.10]
19 19 ms 21 ms 23 ms sl-gw9-nyc-8-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.7.94]

Trace complete.
Mine's showing problems in DC with Level3 routers.

As for the IP address.... do you have a router or just a cablemodem? If you have a router, refreshing your IP will do nothing. Hook the computer up directly to the cablemodem (you'll have to power down the cablemodem for 15 seconds to clear the MAC address) and don't forget to enable the windows firewall or some other firewall. Then try the same traceroute. Any difference?

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium Member
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY

PCInTech to steelhead78

Premium Member

to steelhead78
said by steelhead78:

"There is a little program called Winipcfg.exe that releases the IP, instead of using the command prompt."

That only works with 95, 98 and ME.
There IS a version for Windows 2000 that also works on XP. It's called WNTIPCFG. Look around Microsoft downloads, it's available.

steelhead78
Premium Member
join:2005-08-23
Carrolltown, PA

steelhead78 to xtreem2

Premium Member

to xtreem2
"Mine's showing problems in DC with Level3 routers."

Packet fitering, not loss, not a problem.
steelhead78

steelhead78 to PCInTech

Premium Member

to PCInTech
"There IS a version for Windows 2000 that also works on XP. It's called WNTIPCFG. Look around Microsoft downloads, it's available."

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea.
robo45h
join:2002-06-28
Phoenixville, PA

robo45h to axelrose

to axelrose
You have pretty good speeds compared to me in DSL land.

But in your case, varying speeds are TO BE EXPECTED. You have a cable modem. Cable TV systems (unlike DSL or fiber) are SHARED MEDIA. You are sharing your bandwidth with your neighbors. Depending on your cable company's deployment, it could be a handful of neighbors or a LOT.

In any event, as your neighbors come home from work / school and start iTunes downloads, etc. your speed will suffer. That's the nature of cable.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER to steelhead78

Premium Member

to steelhead78
That file can be downloaded from here: »www.microsoft.com/downlo ··· BF2A5CB6

*Requires Windows Genuine Advantage validation.

axelrose
Chattanooga, TN

axelrose to xtreem2

to xtreem2
said by xtreem2:

Here's the best way to figure out what's going wrong. Try a traceroute to various routers throughout the country (a good list can be found on the internet traffic report site
»www.internettrafficrepor ··· m#graphs) and then find out where the slowdown is occuring. Then call your ISP and complain and give them these traceroute results.

I tried [4] locations, three were distant locations on that list and one was Very close. The largest number of hops was 20 hops, the highest ping time was 120ms. So I don't really see, unless I am missing something in my brain, any router [not on my end] problems. Perhaps it could be my router causing some kind of lag/slowdown. I am going to try connecting directly to the modem/bypass the router and see how it goes.
thanks for helping.

mandm6
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04
Roanoke Rapids, NC

mandm6 to xtreem2

Premium Member

to xtreem2
Been following this post for a bit because i have been having a similar problem. As far as running a tracert, No matter what site i use, It times out on the 3rd hop and on down. Any idea why?

Big_D7
Premium Member
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA

Big_D7 to robo45h

Premium Member

to robo45h
said by robo45h:

Cable TV systems (unlike DSL or fiber) are SHARED MEDIA.
DSL and fiber are shared as well, just further upstream. It's not like you have a dedicated line to the webserver. If everyone in your area jumped on p2p at the same time, you would have the same problem. Besides when cable is managed properly that doesn't happen. I can download 24/7 consistently at the caps with Comcast here.

Nerdtalker
MVM
San Jose, CA

Nerdtalker to axelrose

MVM

to axelrose
said by axelrose:

Ok. I did the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. It didn't improve anything.

I also did what someone else sai and replaced the splitter with a better model and I do indeed have RG6 cable inside the room.
Well, I'm not sure what your friend did to make it instantly pull a different IP address.

You might have to release, then wait a long time, and then renew. If you completely want to make certain you pull a different IP, there's an FAQ that I think has already been mentioned that details the procedure. It involves simply changing a mac address, rebooting the router, and boom, new IP.

bangaroo
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13

bangaroo to steelhead78

Premium Member

to steelhead78
said by steelhead78:

"There IS a version for Windows 2000 that also works on XP. It's called WNTIPCFG. Look around Microsoft downloads, it's available."

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea.
Winipcfg.exe works on XP. I am using it on my XP machine.
»/r0/do ··· inip.JPG

Axelrose,
Releasing and renewing doesn't change your IP.
Follow the steps I provided in the link in my previous post.
I change my IP address every couple of weeks using this process.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to Big_D7

Premium Member

to Big_D7
said by Big_D7:

DSL and fiber are shared as well, just further upstream. It's not like you have a dedicated line to the webserver. If everyone in your area jumped on p2p at the same time, you would have the same problem. Besides when cable is managed properly that doesn't happen. I can download 24/7 consistently at the caps with Comcast here.
The key phrase is "managed properly". Comcast in my area has been horribly slow for the past 2 weeks. I've had 2 higher level techs out, both report the same thing: my modem and lines test perfectly, but the problem is the node serving my area has gone bad, Comcast had known of the problem for over a week before I called, but they don't have anyone on hand to fix it. Yesterday my speeds were about 1800kbps down and 18kbps up (slow upload results in many webpage hangs and timeouts due to interaction). Thankfully, someone must have finally gotten off their behind and replaced the node last evening. After 2.5 weeks of near dialup speeds, things seem to be back to normal this morning.

Homebrew19947
Betzwood Basement Brewery
join:2001-11-15
King Of Prussia, PA

Homebrew19947

said by fuziwuzi:

Comcast had known of the problem for over a week before I called, but they don't have anyone on hand to fix it.
I think a lot of places are shorthanded through the holidays.