how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jeff G

join:2001-07-31
Dayville, CT

S3 Tivo anyone??

Hey guys been looking at the S3 Tivo's reading some of the forums it appears they work well. How about the CC with Metrocast? Anyone here using one now?

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
I am not a huge fan of Tivo. I know people love it but there boxes have always seemed slow to me. The S3's may be different but the DVR's from Cablevision/Comcast and Metrocast have always met my needs.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT
said by comp:

I am not a huge fan of Tivo. I know people love it but there boxes have always seemed slow to me. The S3's may be different but the DVR's from Cablevision/Comcast and Metrocast have always met my needs.
There is no way they could be slower than the Motorolas we get from Metrocast. There have been times that the remote is simply unresponsive, until the box finally "notices" that you've sent it a command. Then you have to wait while it catches up on the dozen attempts you've made to get it's attention.
--
AMD Athon64 X2 4800+ | ASUS A8N-SLI-Premium | 4 GB PC3200 Corsair XMS C2 | eVga 7800GTX KO| Disc0=74GB WD SATA Raptor, Disc1=250GB WD SATA, Disc2=500GB Seagate ATA | PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 510 SLI PSU | Windows XP Pro. 64 Bit

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA
I dont have that at all. This box has been the fastest one i have ever had

Jeff G

join:2001-07-31
Dayville, CT
reply to Jeff G
The Tivo is the biggest thing the wife misses from our DTV days.. Really looking for success or trouble stories. I know from experiance that the cable cards can be hit or miss and trying to gauge the sucess.

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:17

For free... maybe

$800 Tivo + ($1.50 CableCard x2) + $13-$20 a month = bad deal

With a dual tuner renting for $11 a month.... It would have to cook my breakfast to justify an $800 outlay of cash and an additional $5 to $12 a month.

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA
I may want lunch in addition to breakfast

odog
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nelamvr6

Re: S3 Tivo anyone??

said by nelamvr6:

said by comp:

There is no way they could be slower than the Motorolas we get from Metrocast. There have been times that the remote is simply unresponsive, until the box finally "notices" that you've sent it a command. Then you have to wait while it catches up on the dozen attempts you've made to get it's attention.
That's not the hardware... blame the bloated software for that.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
New London, CT
said by odog:

said by nelamvr6:

said by comp:

That's not the hardware... blame the bloated software for that.
I assume it's running some flavor of embedded Linux, am I right?
Have you tried "tweaking" a unit? I'd love the chance to see if a little more system ram would help.
--
AMD Athon64 X2 4800+ | ASUS A8N-SLI-Premium | 4 GB PC3200 Corsair XMS C2 | eVga 7800GTX KO| Disc0=74GB WD SATA Raptor, Disc1=250GB WD SATA, Disc2=500GB Seagate ATA | PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 510 SLI PSU | Windows XP Pro. 64 Bit

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL

1 edit
reply to Jeff G
What software is run on the DVRs? (in CT that is)

Is it the guide thats bloated? Or something else?

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA
I love the passport GUI but how do you check your space avail?

odog
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tenpin784
said by tenpin784:

What software is run on the DVRs? (in CT that is)

Is it the guide thats bloated? Or something else?
The Iguide software sometimes... has some issues.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL
ahh ok

I dont mind the passport one up here. My friend has a Comcast DVR, and their menu is sooo slow, and sometimes it just stops responding at all, and had to unplug the damn box.

Not sure what Comcast uses, but their menu is crap.
--
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

Disclaimer: These are MY comments, my employer cant be held responsible.

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
·DIRECTV
said by tenpin784:

ahh ok

I dont mind the passport one up here. My friend has a Comcast DVR, and their menu is sooo slow, and sometimes it just stops responding at all, and had to unplug the damn box.

Not sure what Comcast uses, but their menu is crap.
Agreed

Comcast GUI was horrible but they did have alot of on demand content

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
New London, CT
reply to Jeff G
So it's really the software that's causing the box to respond slowly to commands from the remote?

Is it the OS or the Metrocast specific software?

Can anything be done to improve the situation?