Nanaki
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
Premium
join:2002-01-24
Barberton, OH
reply to Wayne99021

Re: Comcast abuse phone call.

said by Wayne99021:

I have been reading for sometime on this forum about abuse so I downloaded DU meter to see what mine was.
In the last 14 days I have been using my connection more than usual to upload and download Christmas pictures from my family and friends.
In those 14 days I have used 1.62 gig both ways.
The question I have is what can a person be using their connection for that uses 300 gig a month and still be legal?.
I am not trying to knock anyone, I would just like to know what is out there that could use that much bandwidth.
Never hit quite 300 gigs one road runner but came it at around 220 gigs of totaqlly legal downloads. 3 beta ganes with 100 to 1 gig patches ended up being about 200 megs daily per game on avarage once a week patch of aroun 350 to 1 gig per game once a month new download of 1.6 gig. Then there were the free but legal movies cant remember the site now but each was aprox 700 megs to 1 gig.

There are lots of legal ways to hit in the 150 to 250/300 gig range on dls. People who play with linux alot as a hobby could easly do it. Full debian distro on cd for off line install is 14 cds or are they up to 17 now? Then you got game demos that top the 1 gig mark alot now.

This is the same old comcast all over again. They will say things like national median mening the middle number of gigs when you look at the biggest downloaders in the country. So if thats 100 gigs then the median is 50 kick all off from the top half the number is 50 meaning now only 25 gigs is allowed.
--
Evil does exist and it has a face to often that face is one that should look on their child with love in their eyes.

Instead only hate exists in those eyes.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12

1 recommendation

All this is true. Regardless of it being legit or not, it taxes the network and it is still a SHARED RESOURCE.

So if you need to DL 300-600gigs a month which is a continuous download for the entire month pretty much then you really should start looking at dedicated lines.

If you want to stay with a shared provider.. then act like you are on a shared network.

If anyone is really downloading 300 game demos a month or 300 LEGAL movies a month or patching your already downloaded games EVERY DAY with 200mb patches then you can easily afford the extra loot for the bandwidth. Becuase you are saving THOUSANDS a month.
--
CableFAQ.org/Technicians Unplugged

stunod2002

join:2003-11-07
Carol Stream, IL
reply to dadkins
said by dadkins:

Sure wish one of these bandwidth hogs would just say(or at least *hint* to) what they find to download to equal 300-???GB per month.

None of this complaining about bandwidth caps, WTF are y'all downloading?

EDIT: Clarified my GB/month usage.
I know a guy that has web cams in and around his house (he claims security reasons) that stream out over a VPN when ever he logs in.. I know he us using a huge chink of BW with that..
--
Stunod

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
Even if the cam(s) were using the full 768kbps upload, it would take a while to add up to anything worth mentioning.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

Heavily MODerated
Premium
join:2002-11-21
USA
reply to iamanon
said by iamanon :

I had the same warning call recently. The rep told me to "cut down your internet use drastically". I asked him what is the limit that I need to follow and the rep wouldn't tell me. I told him, then how can I monitor myself to not overuse my internet connection if I don't know the limit to follow? He still couldn't tell me a limit. He said my usage is above average. I asked so what is the average bandwidth use that I need to follow. He couldn't tell me. He offered me a URL to service agreement. I stated that there is not limit or average bandwidth usage stated on the service agreement, so how is (re)reading the service agreement going to help me. I then asked what does "cut down my internet use drastically mean"? Down to 1GB per month or 100GB per month? He couldn't tell me but told me again to "make drastic changes to my internet use".

After 30 minutes, he was really irate, started raising his voice, and told me that I'm difficult. I told him that if this is a warning to me, then he has not provided me with any information on how to avoid this in the future, so the warning is useless to me.

Comcast blows. This "unlimited" versus "(bandwidth) abuse" needs to be defined - maybe a class action lawsuit will be the final solution. If it wasn't for the monopoly of the cable and telephone companies, and I have more choices than two for an internet service provider, I would've been long gone from Comcast a long time ago.

1.33Mbps - that's alot? That is only 12% of Comcast's advertised download bandwidth. Customers are not expected to use at least 12% of their available bandwidth??

And there is no offpeak/onpeak usage difference on my bill. Last time I checked, Comcast cable modem isn't a cellphone service??
Comcast, can cut your service with or without notice for any reason!Read your AUP and TOS. It's there network they due what they please.
--
This ain't Burger King. You can't have it your way.

Duh

@gte.net
reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

"Now, if they'ld only tell us what those rules are."

Its simple. If you are impacting the service of others you are asked to cease.

Hob
How can you tell?

None of the customers receiving calls were told that they were impacting the service of others.

You are just assuming that Comcast's network is so weak that use of 300 gigs a month would impact other users.

krichek

join:2004-02-15
Roseville, CA
reply to dvdivx

Wow

I can't believe the number of folks here that think 25-50GB is a lot. 1 HD movie download for the XBOX360 off live is at least 6GB. Last I checked that was perfectly legal.

tishoo

join:2006-12-12
Ashburn, VA
reply to Nanaki

said by Nanaki:

Never hit quite 300 gigs one road runner but came it at around 220 gigs of totaqlly legal downloads. ... Then there were the free but legal movies cant remember the site now but each was aprox 700 megs to 1 gig.

Riiigghhhhhtttt!

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to krichek

Re: Wow

said by krichek:

I can't believe the number of folks here that think 25-50GB is a lot. 1 HD movie download for the XBOX360 off live is at least 6GB. Last I checked that was perfectly legal.
Indeed.. i use my connection for both work and play as well as to manage my personal websites.. i tend to use around 200GB upload avg a month just keeping my sites updated, adding videos, uploading files, and whatnot.. Comcast is gonna have to adjust to the future as more and more 'normal' users will be sending and downloading videos and other larger file types. It's only gonna get worse as more as time goes on.

Also, it's just too much for anyone to have to guess at what Comcast's limits are that day.. Comcast should print an guideline before enforcing something that they can't even say what the limits are.
--
Webmaster Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»ppnhosting.com
»sphenterprizes.com
»pokemonpalace.net

MathImpared

@gte.net
reply to EnasYorl

said by EnasYorl:

said by dvdivx:

Just had a call stating my account was over the limit although they did not say what the limit is. Downloaded 300+ gb this month to catch up on some stuff since my computer was dead for a while. Now I must keep the account downloads to a minimum or loose service for 1 year as per the phone call. Evidently there aren't any letters any more or one just shows up later on.
Mostly an FYI. My guess is the limit is 300gb/mo. If I had to guess. You would be surprised how fast that can get used up with streaming HD video.
Well to hit that number you have to be downloading 16 hours a day for 30 days at a rate of 1.33Mbps.

said by EnasYorl:

Well to hit that number you have to be downloading 16 hours a day for 30 days at a rate of 1.33Mbps.
I didn't know that Comcast had a 1.33 meg connection. Wouldn't that equal 2 hrs 40 minutes of downloading on an 8 meg line?

Does uploading count in the equation?

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

1 edit
said by MathImpared :

I didn't know that Comcast had a 1.33 meg connection. Wouldn't that equal 2 hrs 40 minutes of downloading on an 8 meg line?
But that doesn't sound or look too terrible. How are people going to attack/complain then?

EnasYorl
Thieves World

join:2001-12-02
West
Reviews:
·Anveo

4 edits
reply to MathImpared
said by MathImpared :

said by EnasYorl:

said by dvdivx:

Just had a call stating my account was over the limit although they did not say what the limit is. Downloaded 300+ gb this month to catch up on some stuff since my computer was dead for a while. Now I must keep the account downloads to a minimum or loose service for 1 year as per the phone call. Evidently there aren't any letters any more or one just shows up later on.
Mostly an FYI. My guess is the limit is 300gb/mo. If I had to guess. You would be surprised how fast that can get used up with streaming HD video.

said by EnasYorl:

Guess you don't understand averages very well as most sites aren't going to give you a full 8Mbps (aka 1MB/s). 15% of a DOCSIS channel is 6Mbps. PS. 300GB= 2400Gbits.
My full post that you partially quoted:

That is a ton of usage. That would mean on average your using up ~4% of the total network on that CMTS port all the time.

I'm guessing your actually using up 15% of the network all the time during Peak hours and it's affecting other users that might be calling in to complain about slow speeds.

Remember this is DOCSIS not DSL.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to champkind
said by champkind:

Doesn't the TOS say that users can't negatively affect other users on the network?
I am pretty sure that at&t Yahoo! HSI has similar in their AUP/TOS.

I believe that the Comcast AUP/TOS has been quoted, and linked to death. Surely you know how to get there. This is the AUP/TOS I have to live under:

»help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?i ··· tem=441&

And some selected quotes:
quote:
You are responsible for avoiding the prohibited activities and following the AUP set forth herein. You are also responsible for the actions of others who may be using the Service(s) under your account. AT&T does not, as an ordinary practice, proactively monitor the activities of those who use its Service(s) to ensure that its users comply with this AUP and/or the law, though it reserves the right to do so. If AT&T is alerted to violations or potential violations of this AUP, however, AT&T will take whatever measures it deems necessary and appropriate to stop or prevent those violations, including the actions described in this AUP.

So AT&T claims not to do proactive monitoring, but to do reactive monitoring. If Comcast does similar, "The Phone Call" is being made in response to complaints by other users.
quote:
You are prohibited from engaging in any other activity, illegal or not, that AT&T determines in its sole discretion, to be harmful to its subscribers, operations, network(s), reputation, goodwill, or customer relations.

This is a wonderful "catchall clause". I am positive that Comcast has a similar clause. Between the two quoted sections of my ISP's AUP/TOS, I can see a potential for even a DSL customer to get either "The Letter", or "The Phone Call" from abuse.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to bUT
said by bUT :

The problem is you don't really know what you agree to. If you live in a geezer community in Florida, using 50gigs a month might place you in the top 1% of all users.
OTOH, at the rate I have downloaded my fan-subbed anime, I would only be hitting about 8GBytes per month. A 50GByte cape wouldn't even phase me!
--
Norman

MathImpared

@gte.net
reply to EnasYorl
said by EnasYorl:

said by Illusionist :

said by MathImpared:

said by Illusionist :

Guess you don't understand averages very well as most sites aren't going to give you a full 8Mbps (aka 1MB/s). Also 300GB= 2400Gbits.
My full post that your partially quoted:

That is a ton of usage. That would mean on average your using up ~4% of the total network on that CMTS port all the time.

I'm guessing your actually using up 15% of the network all the time during Peak hours and it's affecting other users that might be calling in to complain about slow speeds.

Remember this is DOCSIS not DSL.
That's right, I don't understand. That's why I asked the question.

I'm not a math wiz. How do you calculate the maximum available bandwidth on an 8/768 Comcast connection?

What is the maximum capability of a Comcast 8/768 line in one month? Upload and download included.I thought the theoretical max on an 8/768 line was about 6TB in a month.

So, are you saying that you can hit 300 gig in a month by using 4% of your maximum available bandwidth on a Comcast 8/756 line? Or is it 15%? Or is it 16 hours a day?

From what I've heard, you can come pretty close to maxing out a Comcast connection with usenet. So I'm not sure that the bandwidth capability of "sites" is the right yardstick here. There are other uses for a HSI connection other than "sites".

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5

1 edit
Usenet provides an easy, consistent 18-23Mbps down nowadays.
Expand your moderator at work

EnasYorl
Thieves World

West
Reviews:
·Anveo
reply to MathImpared

said by MathImpared :

said by EnasYorl:

I'm not a math wiz. How do you calculate the maximum available bandwidth on an 8/768 Comcast connection?

What is the maximum capability of a Comcast 8/768 line in one month? Upload and download included.I thought the theoretical max on an 8/768 line was about 6TB in a month.

So, are you saying that you can hit 300 gig in a month by using 4% of your maximum available bandwidth on a Comcast 8/756 line? Or is it 15%? Or is it 16 hours a day?

From what I've heard, you can come pretty close to maxing out a Comcast connection with usenet. So I'm not sure that the bandwidth capability of "sites" is the right yardstick here. There are other uses for a HSI connection other than "sites".
Nope your not reading the numbers.

On a shared NODE with DOCSIS 1.1/2.0 there is only 40Mbps available bandwidth for everyone to use.

6Mbps/40Mbps= 15% of the PIE total of 100%

86400 seconds in one day x 6Mbps= 518.4Gbits in one day.

518.4Gbits/8=64.8GBytes

Hope this helps your math.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to bittorrent
said by bittorrent :

i like how you all assume that just because he is using 300GB a month he must be downloading illegal material, and even if he is i dont see why its any of your business.
I have made no such assumption. But I am curious. I have used about 8GBytes per month of download, though not so evenly distributed, from my ISP. I have only managed to watch about 1/3 of what I have downloaded. So I am curious: Just what are the 300GByte per month downloaders actually downloading? And are they, honestly, actually accessing those downloads at 100%? I mean, playing the games, listening to the audio, and watching the video?
why do you think high speed internet is so popular? im sure all the people with 30Mb down are just using it to check their email...NOT!
I honestly don't know anybody, besides myself, who downloads a lot of large files.
almost everyone i know downloads illegal stuff, if it werent for p2p, newsgroups, etc isps wouldnt sell nearly as many high speed connections.
In one case that I know of, Comcast gets the business because the DSL competition is only $6 per month cheaper, with no guaranty of getting better than 384kbits per month down.
why do you think bittorrent takes up a major chunk of all internet traffic?
Does it really matter? I'd suspect, based on the IP addresses I've seen in my BT connections, that about 80% of the HSI connections are DSL at under 3,000kbits per second.
why do so many people have dvd burners? to burn all their "home movies"? i think not.
So far, that is all that I have done. Most others I know with DVD burners haven't even done that much. They just replaced 3, 4, or 5 year old computers with new ones. All of the new ones I have seen come with DVD burners by default. Whether the user will use them for video, or just data? Who knows?
...lets face it, theres not really a lot of legal stuff worth downloading as far as video goes, and dont tell me people need 12Mb to watch movie trailers or get pictures from grandma.
And I agree; which is part of the reason I prefer to pay $17.99 per month for 3,0008kbits/s DSL download, instead of $56.95 per month for 4Mbits/s cable download.
...and this from comcasts own site: "And now with PowerBoost, our fast connection gets even faster with an extra burst of speed up to 12 Mbps when you’re downloading large files like videos and games."
All that means is that an anime fan will get his half hour of the final episode of "Black Lagoon: Second Barrage" in less than one quarter of the time it took me.
please tell me where i can find all these "games" and "videos" legally, that are actually worth playing or watching.
I don't know about the games, but for fan-subbed anime, there are about three, or four sites that I use. One of them appears to still provide torrents for shows licensed in the U.S. I have to check their titles because I am not inclined to download those shows. The rest cut off access when they know a show has been licensed.

FWIW, I am doubtful that any of the fansubs I have are legally sanctioned by the rights owners; and I would stop if they actually demanded it. One of the Japanese rights owners did request that fansubber stop; and that fansubber did stop.
i dont condone piracy, but if you think that it has nothing to do with the fact that most households have high speed internet, you are just fooling yourself.
I have first hand knowledge of why most of my friends and family have Comcast. Indeed, if I can't get one of my friends on "at&t Yahoo! HSI Basic" service (way cheaper than his current monthly fee), I will facilitate is switch to Comcast. Not that he needs all of the Comcast speed, which is why my first choice is the downgrade.

I have asked everybody I know who uses Comcast what their D/L speed is, and how close they are getting to that speed. Not a one of them can answer that question.
i hate apostrophes
It shows. Doesn't matter to me.
--
Norman

MathImpared

@gte.net
reply to EnasYorl
said by EnasYorl:

said by MathImpared :

said by EnasYorl:

Nope your not reading the numbers.

On a shared NODE with DOCSIS 1.1/2.0 there is only 40Mbps available bandwidth for everyone to use.

6Mbps/40Mbps= 15% of the PIE total of 100%

86400 seconds in one day x 6Mbps= 518.4Gbits in one day.

518.4Gbits/8=64.8GBytes

Hope this helps your math.
OK, so If I understand you correctly 64.8GBytes is the capability of a node in one day.

So would the theoretical capability of an 8/768 connection be 8.75/40 of that, or 14.18GBytes a day = 425.40GBytes an month?

That doesn't seem right. I've seen posts where people have been cutoff for 600+ GBytes amonth and claims of 1 1/2 to 2TBytes af bandwidth a month.

GrumblyGuy

join:2007-01-05
South San Francisco, CA
reply to pokesph

said by pokesph:

Indeed.. i use my connection for both work and play as well as to manage my personal websites.. i tend to use around 200GB upload avg a month just keeping my sites updated, adding videos, uploading files, and whatnot.. Comcast is gonna have to adjust to the future as more and more 'normal' users will be sending and downloading videos and other larger file types. It's only gonna get worse as more as time goes on.
Amen. It's 2007 and this is the same issue from a few years ago with the same usage cap. Computers get faster every year and the digital lifestyle becomes more and more common but Comcast's bandwidth capacity hasn't kept up. We should be at the point where we can leave a streaming HD news broadcast playing on a computer (@ 10 GB/hr, conservatively) and not have that be a significant percentage of bandwidth. It's just a matter of time before such an activity becomes as commonplace as using the web to read the news.

Fedesq123

@comcast.net
reply to krichek
To all: The following is admittedly long - but it may offer some insight that may be helpful.

I received a call yesterday from "Rodney" at Comcast's "Abuse" department. Rodney was informing me that I downloaded more than 300GB last month and that I need to lower my usage or face a 12 month suspension. Actually, it was less of a warning & more of a threat by the tone and the words used.

First, I should say that I don't even have a HD that is 300GB. But, I do listen to streaming music a lot as I have it piped throughout my home as background music available in each room. So, I was shocked & dismayed when informed that I downloaded over 300GB last month. And, I told "Rodney" this to no obvious avail.

I even told him that my downloading behavior hasn't changed over the past 4 years - he didn't care & just threatened me more without giving answers about how much I have to reduce it by to avoid punishment. I asked for a supervisor and he said: "I don't have one." So he lied to me right there because everyone has a supervisor - mine happens to be a federal court judge. So, I hung up on him - because I don't tolerate liars.

Am I afraid of disconnection? Of course - why else would I be looking at & writing in this particular thread? Am I an "abuser" that interferes with others' beneficial use & enjoyment of bandwidth? Heck No. I am doing exactly what Comcast advertises to the public - "download & stream music & video at a click of a mouse." Do I do this excessively? Nope, because in the past 12 hours the 64k stream downloaded about 400Mb. [(400x2)x 30]= 240,000MB or 24GB a month.

How this and other typical online activity translates into a call claiming that I've downloaded over 300GB last month further illustrates that "Rodney" is a liar.

Bottom line: the 300GB claim may just be part of Comcast's threat to shock customers into lowering their usage - especially when those customers' usage is above that of others' in their particular area or neighborhood. It surprised me so much that I needed to check it out.

I think we need to move beyond the 300GB thing & focus more about how Comcast advertises their services. As a lawyer, their terms of service in regards to service abuse are vague & offer no insight, in terms of download behavior, for the customer. So, we are stuck with what Comcast advertises and what they in reality do or don't do. To me their "abuse" standards (whatever they may, in reality, be) are arbitrarily & capriciously enforced without any definite limitation provided.

But, there in lies the trap: if you give a limit then you have just betrayed your advertising. In such a case, Comcast would have to change its advertising else face false advertising claims under state law.

So, is there a limit? Of course there is a limit. They just can't tell anyone what it is because that would be direct evidence of false advertising!

But just wait to see what happens when they disconnect this customer claiming that an unverbalized limit was exceed and that this customer has been since classified as an "abuser."

Truth is a defense in defamation - it would be their burden of production to show that this customer was indeed an "abuser" that violated a specific download threshold. Again, a false advertising trap.

Depositions & court transcripts are very compelling because they are performed under oath. A disconnected "abuser" could conceivably go after them, legitimately, for defamation with the byproduct goal of getting testimonial evidence of their false advertising!

To others who may face disconnection in this manner I would suggest (not advise) contacting their state Attorneys General Office (Consumer Affairs Division) along with their respective state's public utilities commission to file formal complaints about Comcast's advertising & their apparent threatening monopolistic behavior toward particular state residents that they supposedly serve. I did this very thing this morning - and the letterhead that it was written on should get some attention.

I will not alter my online behavior because I have been doing nothing wrong - even the streaming music is paid for to cover ASCAP & BMI licensing and is by no means excessive even under the most limited online standards.

In closing - GO FiOS !!!!!!!! Regardless of Milton Friedman's modifications, Adam Smith was absolutely right about competition. Comcast will soon realize that Corporate Social Responsibility principles that they have obviously ignored (because of no real competition) will be their ultimate downfall when FiOS is made available to us all.

Larry

EnasYorl
Thieves World

West
Reviews:
·Anveo

3 edits
reply to MathImpared

said by MathImpared :

OK, so If I understand you correctly 64.8GBytes is the capability of a node in one day.

So would the theoretical capability of an 8/768 connection be 8.75/40 of that, or 14.18GBytes a day = 425.40GBytes an month?

That doesn't seem right. I've seen posts where people have been cutoff for 600+ GBytes amonth and claims of 1 1/2 to 2TBytes af bandwidth a month.

No the 64.8Gbytes is only 15% of what's available.

64.8/.15= 432GBytes for 40Mbps of constant downloading in a 24hr period This assumes your the only one downloading and that you have a 40Mbps cable modem.

.432Terabytes x 30 = 12.96TB in a month.

8Mbps/40Mbps= 20% so .20 x 12.96TB = 2.592TB max for a NON bursting 8Mbps connection.

Now a 16 Meg plan would be close to 5.2TB .

MathImpared

@gte.net

1 edit
Thanks for showing me the math, Illusionist.

So would a maxed out upload on an 8/768 line add another 243GBytes (.75/8 X 2592) to that?
Expand your moderator at work

EnasYorl
Thieves World

West
Reviews:
·Anveo

2 edits
reply to MathImpared

said by MathImpared :

Thanks for showing me the math, Illusionist.

So would a maxed out upload on an 8/768 line add another 243GBytes (.75/8 X 2592) to that?
Upload max would be monitored separately but in most systems there's only 10Mbps or 1.2Mb/s upload.

So people pushing software etc. would be close to 1/10th (.768mbps/8mbps)the max of the download.

So 2.5TB of downloads in 30 days you could upload .25TB of data.

Bottom line is if you affect others you're going to get a call.

milbrath

join:2006-03-27
Dresden, TN
reply to Fedesq123

If your listening to streaming audio pretty much non stop you did indeed "download" over 300 GB, "Rodney" is not a liar. You my friend are a heavy user.

BM

snipper_cr
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL
reply to Badonkadonk

I never understood that. Maybe because i do not know enough about the technology. But your connection is "shared" with everyone on the node. Well with DSL, your connection is "Shared" with everyone at the CO. I am not sure how it is different.
--
Serenity Day - June 23rd 2006. You Can't Stop the Signal

devnuller

join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

2 edits
There are very few differences. Each are shared at some point, but people that are not very technically savvy continue to spout the DSL marketing FUD about "shared bandwidth"

Cabal

@comcast.net

1 edit
reply to snipper_cr
Every 3-4 months I need to harass Comcast to deal with the local misfits who feel it's their God-given right to saturate my local node and drop peak-hour speeds to 3/4 mbps or less (great signals, great pings, 15+ mbps off-peak Powerboost).