how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

iamanon

@comcast.net
reply to dvdivx

Re: Comcast abuse phone call.

I had the same warning call recently. The rep told me to "cut down your internet use drastically". I asked him what is the limit that I need to follow and the rep wouldn't tell me. I told him, then how can I monitor myself to not overuse my internet connection if I don't know the limit to follow? He still couldn't tell me a limit. He said my usage is above average. I asked so what is the average bandwidth use that I need to follow. He couldn't tell me. He offered me a URL to service agreement. I stated that there is not limit or average bandwidth usage stated on the service agreement, so how is (re)reading the service agreement going to help me. I then asked what does "cut down my internet use drastically mean"? Down to 1GB per month or 100GB per month? He couldn't tell me but told me again to "make drastic changes to my internet use".

After 30 minutes, he was really irate, started raising his voice, and told me that I'm difficult. I told him that if this is a warning to me, then he has not provided me with any information on how to avoid this in the future, so the warning is useless to me.

Comcast blows. This "unlimited" versus "(bandwidth) abuse" needs to be defined - maybe a class action lawsuit will be the final solution. If it wasn't for the monopoly of the cable and telephone companies, and I have more choices than two for an internet service provider, I would've been long gone from Comcast a long time ago.

1.33Mbps - that's alot? That is only 12% of Comcast's advertised download bandwidth. Customers are not expected to use at least 12% of their available bandwidth??

And there is no offpeak/onpeak usage difference on my bill. Last time I checked, Comcast cable modem isn't a cellphone service??

Rob
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

"Comcast blows. This "unlimited" versus "(bandwidth) abuse" needs to be defined - maybe a class action lawsuit will be the final solution."

They cannot define it or else people (most likely like yourself) would come right underneath that limit each month. So if they say 300GB, you'd do 295GB and then would argue with them that "it's under the monthly allowance".

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to iamanon
"...and I have more choices than two for an internet service provider, I would've been long gone from Comcast a long time ago."

If there were 200 ISPS available to you and they all did the same thing, you'd still cry foul... what does the number of ISPs have to do with anything? We've heard MONOpoly, DUOpoly, then I was blown away to see the TRIOpoly... what's next...? The QUADopoly? Pentopoly? When did it end?

--
"Wipe out the national deficit over night... Tax the stupid!" - about 50 gMail invites available. PM if you'd like one.
Expand your moderator at work

mobbo

join:2005-04-13
Denton, TX
reply to iamanon

Re: Comcast abuse phone call.

LOL

Getting in an endless loop arguement is fun, plus it costs Comcast $20/hour in labor/benefits to have that guy call you and warn you. I love it. Someone needs to record such a phonecall to Comcast so I can hear it and have a giggle.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to iamanon
Click for full size
Two years, or so, of anime downloads.
said by iamanon :

This "unlimited" versus "(bandwidth) abuse" needs to be defined - maybe a class action lawsuit will be the final solution.
Somebody, in another, similar thread, posted the 3-year-old + advertisement in which Comcast offered, "Unlimited access". Not "Internet", but "access". That ad ran at a time when many customers were still on dial-up service, and dial-up services offered time limits. I once had a CompuServe account which offered 5 hours of access for a flat $9.95 per month, but started billing at $1 per minute for time over 5 hours in a given month. By contrast Comcast's "unlimited access" was pretty cool: 24/7 access with no surprise surcharge for being over some hourly limit.
If it wasn't for the monopoly of the cable and telephone companies, and I have more choices than two for an internet service provider, I would've been long gone from Comcast a long time ago.
A choice between only two services is not a "monopoly", but a "duopoly". I think. However, where I live there are multiple choices. Okay, only Comcast for cable HSI, but AT&T, Comcast, Covad, DSL Extreme, Speakeasy, and the Covad resellers for DSL. And Hughes Satellite. Not even a "duopoly" here.
1.33Mbps - that's a lot? That is only 12% of Comcast's advertised download bandwidth. Customers are not expected to use at least 12% of their available bandwidth??
What's with this "available bandwidth". I have never seen Comcast advertise selling "available bandwidth". I have never seen any ISP advertising "available bandwidth". If you take the actual bandwidth Comcast has, and divide it by the number of customers Comcast has, that would be your "available" bandwidth. I suspect is is closer to 30GBytes per month than 300GBytes per month.
And there is no offpeak/onpeak usage difference on my bill. Last time I checked, Comcast cable modem isn't a cellphone service??
No. It is an Internet service which offers high speed download. So you can get the final episode of the fan-subbed "Black Lagoon: Second Barrage" four, or five times faster than I did. Not so you can get four, or five times as many episodes of anime as I can get.

I once posted in a similar thread that I think I had downloaded 400GBytes of anime in the last two years. With a total of only 160GBytes of total disc space on two computers I had to burn a bunch of shows to CD to make room for more. I have, subsequently, obtained a computer with 1,000GBytes of HDD storage. So, to prove my point, I recopied all downloaded anime shows to HDD. In over two years, just about 193GBytes of shows. I don't download just because I can. I truly tried to thin out the downloads because, until last month, my available HDD space was limited.

I am still trying to grasp downloading 300GBytes per month. It would take me just three months to fill my current HDD, assuming I started with no stored data. I just bought a spindle of 100 DVD-R discs two months back. That would hold another month of downloads at 300GBytes per month.

Can high quality video streaming really account for it all? You would have to be watching it 24/7; no time to eat, sleep, bathe, go to work...

Rats. I forgot the screen shot...

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

champkind

join:2007-01-04
disclaimer: I forget what the TOS says

Doesn't the TOS say that users can't negatively affect other users on the network? It doesn't say anything about conserving bandwidth so they don't have to pay for it. As long as the network can handle it, I see nothing wrong with what I'm doing. In theory, a person should be able to test network capacity by running a speedtest at peak hours. When I am getting a 14mbps (powerboost) on my 6mbps connection, IMO, that means the network can handle it, and nobody else is affected.

Heavily MODerated
Premium
join:2002-11-21
USA
reply to iamanon
said by iamanon :

I had the same warning call recently. The rep told me to "cut down your internet use drastically". I asked him what is the limit that I need to follow and the rep wouldn't tell me. I told him, then how can I monitor myself to not overuse my internet connection if I don't know the limit to follow? He still couldn't tell me a limit. He said my usage is above average. I asked so what is the average bandwidth use that I need to follow. He couldn't tell me. He offered me a URL to service agreement. I stated that there is not limit or average bandwidth usage stated on the service agreement, so how is (re)reading the service agreement going to help me. I then asked what does "cut down my internet use drastically mean"? Down to 1GB per month or 100GB per month? He couldn't tell me but told me again to "make drastic changes to my internet use".

After 30 minutes, he was really irate, started raising his voice, and told me that I'm difficult. I told him that if this is a warning to me, then he has not provided me with any information on how to avoid this in the future, so the warning is useless to me.

Comcast blows. This "unlimited" versus "(bandwidth) abuse" needs to be defined - maybe a class action lawsuit will be the final solution. If it wasn't for the monopoly of the cable and telephone companies, and I have more choices than two for an internet service provider, I would've been long gone from Comcast a long time ago.

1.33Mbps - that's alot? That is only 12% of Comcast's advertised download bandwidth. Customers are not expected to use at least 12% of their available bandwidth??

Comcast, can cut your service with or without notice for any reason!Read your AUP and TOS. It's there network they due what they please.
--
This ain't Burger King. You can't have it your way.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to champkind
said by champkind:

Doesn't the TOS say that users can't negatively affect other users on the network?
I am pretty sure that at&t Yahoo! HSI has similar in their AUP/TOS.

I believe that the Comcast AUP/TOS has been quoted, and linked to death. Surely you know how to get there. This is the AUP/TOS I have to live under:

»help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?i ··· tem=441&

And some selected quotes:
quote:
You are responsible for avoiding the prohibited activities and following the AUP set forth herein. You are also responsible for the actions of others who may be using the Service(s) under your account. AT&T does not, as an ordinary practice, proactively monitor the activities of those who use its Service(s) to ensure that its users comply with this AUP and/or the law, though it reserves the right to do so. If AT&T is alerted to violations or potential violations of this AUP, however, AT&T will take whatever measures it deems necessary and appropriate to stop or prevent those violations, including the actions described in this AUP.

So AT&T claims not to do proactive monitoring, but to do reactive monitoring. If Comcast does similar, "The Phone Call" is being made in response to complaints by other users.
quote:
You are prohibited from engaging in any other activity, illegal or not, that AT&T determines in its sole discretion, to be harmful to its subscribers, operations, network(s), reputation, goodwill, or customer relations.

This is a wonderful "catchall clause". I am positive that Comcast has a similar clause. Between the two quoted sections of my ISP's AUP/TOS, I can see a potential for even a DSL customer to get either "The Letter", or "The Phone Call" from abuse.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum