uniqs
share rss forum feed

icex
Premium
join:2004-05-22
USA
reply to dvdivx

Re: Comcast abuse phone call.

How could anyone use 300gbs in a month? Catching up on stuff eh? Mind telling us what this stuff is? My bet is oh say p2p....
--
Team Discovery

champkind

join:2007-01-04

1 edit
»www.majestic12.co.uk/

This is legal. I downloaded somewhere around 4TB for this project alone from april-december with adelphia. Add in some (still legal) videos and other stuff, and still adelphia never called or complained about abuse. I live in a pretty rural area, and AFAIK the network can handle it. (My adelphia was switched to comcast.)

flako

@comcast.net
said by champkind:

»www.majestic12.co.uk/

»www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/ds···p?id=927

This is legal. I downloaded somewhere around 4TB for this project alone from april-december with adelphia. Add in some (still legal) videos and other stuff, and still adelphia never called or complained about abuse. I live in a pretty rural area, and AFAIK the network can handle it. (My adelphia was switched to comcast.)
Once again, legal or otherwise, it is all part of one's overall consumption..........

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to champkind
said by champkind:

(My adelphia was switched to comcast.)
Which means you play by their rules......

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duh

@gte.net
said by hobgoblin:

said by champkind:

(My adelphia was switched to comcast.)
Which means you play by their rules......

Hob
Now, if they'ld only tell us what those rules are.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

1 recommendation

"Now, if they'ld only tell us what those rules are."

Its simple. If you are impacting the service of others you are asked to cease.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duh

@gte.net
said by hobgoblin:

"Now, if they'ld only tell us what those rules are."

Its simple. If you are impacting the service of others you are asked to cease.

Hob
How can you tell?

None of the customers receiving calls were told that they were impacting the service of others.

You are just assuming that Comcast's network is so weak that use of 300 gigs a month would impact other users.

AnotherGuy

@york.com
reply to hobgoblin
ping www.yahoo.com

Normally, 15 or 20 ms. During peak usage, I restrict my used bandwidth so as to not increase average latency from my modem to the other end more than 5 ms or so. If I have something large to D/L, I start it at bedtime and restrict it to 100 or 150 kbyte/sec. Spread it out a bit. I can tell when peak usage times are in my area by pinging something known and well connected. I make a conscious effort not to negatively impact my area.

Other than that, how is the average person supposed to determine if they are impacting the service of others? You can be D/Ling like an MF, and if you are still getting a round trip time to www.yahoo.com of 20 ms, you would have to assume that you aren't impacting anyone in a noticeable way.

WhosAbuser

@comcast.net
Comcast should think more like you do. Users will be more enabled than punished.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12

1 edit
reply to AnotherGuy
My comments didn't really apply. They were directed at local usage, not shared usage.

Morty7
Premium
join:2004-09-18
reply to AnotherGuy
said by AnotherGuy :

ping www.yahoo.com

Normally, 15 or 20 ms. During peak usage, I restrict my used bandwidth so as to not increase average latency from my modem to the other end more than 5 ms or so. If I have something large to D/L, I start it at bedtime and restrict it to 100 or 150 kbyte/sec. Spread it out a bit. I can tell when peak usage times are in my area by pinging something known and well connected. I make a conscious effort not to negatively impact my area.

Other than that, how is the average person supposed to determine if they are impacting the service of others? You can be D/Ling like an MF, and if you are still getting a round trip time to www.yahoo.com of 20 ms, you would have to assume that you aren't impacting anyone in a noticeable way.
WatchWAN 1.0.0.1