uniqs

N3CAL
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Lexington Park, MD

N3CAL

Premium Member

What Gives, Speed way Down Again!

Happy New Year Folks! Here in St. Mary's County Maryland. What happened to the speed increase that was supposed to kick in Jan 1st(6000 KBPS down)? My speakeasy test to the Washington DC Server just came back with only 150 kbps down and 340 up? Just like it was most of this past year! After a few months of solid performance at above 3000 kbps down were now having problems. I've noticed issues since approx 27 December. Not what I would expect for $54.00 a month!

Does Metrocast have any idea what they have done?

Tenpin, what's up?

Cal

Inigoes
@metrocast.net

Inigoes

Anon

There is a speed increase if you use the line at 4:00 am. I noticed a real decrease about a month ago. They had this fixed for a few months, but now at night I get less than 200K. This is obviously a shared bandwidth problem.

N3CAL
Premium Member
Lexington Park, MD

N3CAL

Premium Member

This is 2nd night in a row with only 600-700 kbps down. I called tech support and they removed my modem from the system then added back as a new one to the system. No help for me at my location (Greenbrier). The Tech said this was what they were doing to solve 98% of the customers having problems. Now they are going to send someone out to the house again! Here we go again! Things were working good until sometime mid December.

They sure were quick in getting the $2.00 increase to the bill out. I wish they were as fast in getting the issues corrected. I for one suggest they delay billing until all the bugs get worked out!

Cal
Craig8
join:2006-01-22
Lexington Park, MD

1 edit

Craig8 to N3CAL

to N3CAL
I've been lurking here for a long time. Since I never had much to say beyond what was already written.

This latest trick by Metrocast is just unsat. Looks like they upgraded cable in my area (lots of digging a couple of weeks ago). Amazingly I got 4500-5000 kbps (previously I had topped out at 2500), but only for a few hours a day (starting 27 Dec), the rest of the time I got nada. This was over the New Years weekend. One tech offered me one day of credit! For the day I called, the rest did not. It finally came back on the 3rd, but is now down below 1000kbs again.

I am so frustrated with these losers. Why came they not pull their collective head out of their butt?

Of course DSL is not available in my area, and wireless is just only slightly better than dial-up. So I am struck, as I am sure many people in the area are. And this is supposed to be a "Technology Corridor". Please. We seriously need a professional ISP.

edit: I'm in Cedar Cove.

Shawnj
@metrocast.net

Shawnj to N3CAL

Anon

to N3CAL
I to am in Cedar Cove in Lexington Park Maryland Spyglass Apartments. I just got off phone with tech support and of course the y said they cant see what problem is and that they are running and checking lines there and everything looks ok. The have escaladed the problem to the upper tech guys. I notice i had fast speeds close to 5mbps for 1 day and then welp back to 300 - 400 kbps. UGGGGGGGG They definetly need competition down here from comcast in are area to keep pricing down on internet. for 54 dollars a month it better be fixed should be up to at least 10 mbps like it is in New york with Time warner cable. They are only paying 29.99 a month for that UGGGGGGGGG Ill reply back when i hear something.

N3CAL
Premium Member
Lexington Park, MD

1 edit

N3CAL to Inigoes

Premium Member

to Inigoes
Back in August 2006 Tenpin 784 (works for Metrocast)told me the following:

"We bumped St. Marys from an OC3 (155mbit/sec) to a partial OC12 (limited to 300mbit/s). So effectively, we almost doubled the bandwidth."

I wonder if a partial OC12 will support the entire county?

It definitely appears to be a bandwidth problem like Inigoes says. My speeds during the afternoon and evening hours are way down however at 4:00 AM speed was 5000 kbps.

I spoke with customer service and they are still sending a tech out to my house to check lines (Metrocast Protocol).
They did give me some credit to my bill for all the trouble. Tech will be out on Friday.

Cal

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784 to N3CAL

to N3CAL
Ahoy mates.

Ok, first off. This problem is limited to Lexington Park, and possibly a few other neighborhoods. Sorry! Don't kill me, I am not in charge of it

300mb/s is a plenty, as all of Maryland is using maybe 75% of that bandwidth, so the problem is not there. The problem is on the CMTS side, and it should :knock on wood: be fixed tonite, a config change has to be made. I am not in charge of that tho, I have to make changes to POP/IMAP and FTP tonite, so if that breaks, then you can come after me

N3CAL
Premium Member
Lexington Park, MD

N3CAL

Premium Member

No change yet. Speed issues are still here in Greenbrier. Last night (Wednesday)speed was still only around 600-800 kbps. I had 25% latency for line loss tests.

Hows things over in Cedar Cove? Any improvements yet?

Cal
Craig8
join:2006-01-22
Lexington Park, MD

1 edit

Craig8 to N3CAL

to N3CAL
2026 Thursday 11 January. Got 4742/361 at 0752 this morning.

Craig8

Craig8 to N3CAL

to N3CAL
Latency test

»/lineq ··· /2163308

N3CAL
Premium Member
Lexington Park, MD

N3CAL

Premium Member

Craig, Thanks for the update.

A Metrocast Tech was here at the house today. He of course checked the line and modem and everything was fine.
His first comment was :

"the afternoon and eveing hours is our high traffic times and speeds will drop due to the amount of users online"

My reply was speeds never dropped below 3000 kbps before the speed increase (4000-6000 kbps) on Jan 1, 2007! Even at peak times the bandwidth was steady!

I then gave him a printout of all my speed tests and line loss tests for the last 30 days. Once he saw that he understood what I'm talking about and agreeded I'm not getting what I'm paying for! He is going to pass the info on up to Leo's group. I hope Leo will get to the bottom of this.

If it was a simple config change to the CMTS I would have expected it to be done by now!

I'll update you all as soon as I here from them!

Cal

Shawn D
@verizon.net

Shawn D

Anon

Hey there Cal. LOL I had the same guy you had ...in fact you were his stop before me and he knew right off the bat what i was going to say. In fact he showed me your printout and wala same thing im getting here. He also said Leo's group was going to take care of it and for me to find out whats going on by Tuesday. I should he told me be recieving a call tonight 1/12/07 to let me know whats going on.

Awesome forums i have to say.

Oh yeah I am going to try and get some kind of credit also here to. Ill let ya know whats going on with that.

Also im posting this at work so thats why the name has verizon after it.. Wish we could get dsl in cedar cove or at least in spyglass apts. Then would be cheaper uggg again

Oh well take care

Take care all.
Shawn

N3CAL
Premium Member
Lexington Park, MD

1 edit

N3CAL

Premium Member

Shawn,

They said they would call me too! But guess what????

They never called! Thanks Metrocast!

This is really frustrating!

Cal

Shawn D
@verizon.net

Shawn D

Anon

Yep. Never did get that call either last night from anyone like the Tech ( Chris ) said would happen.

Yep Lots of thanks to Metrocast for there awesome customer service ....Not.

Anyways im calling Monday like I was told to find out anything new and also im going to attempt to get a credit for the worst service ever.

Shawn D

Shawn D

Anon

Hey there Cal i just got done reading all the Metrocast problems from he pasyt 3 years LOL in the forum and saw people mentioning a class action lawsuit......Anything come from that and did ya ever get a response from the BBB???

It seems like if the problem wasnt fixed then and speeds were bad...then they will never fix the problem. uggggg makes me regret that i moved from Ny with Time warner cable at 10mbps for 39.99 a month and neverh ad a speed issue once........

Let me know..

Shawn

N3CAL
Premium Member
Lexington Park, MD

2 edits

N3CAL

Premium Member

October 2005-August 2006 was terrible! It wasn't until September 2006 that the problems got squared away. Sept 2006 till December 27th 2006 things were very good. During that period of time download speeds were always above 3000 kbps. I was finally happy with the service so thoughts of a class action suit diminished. Now were back to the same crap again!

During the October 2005 - August 2006 period Metrocast gave me one free month of service only after my Better Business Bureau Complaint.

This Monday is a Holiday so I wouldn't expect you getting in touch with Metrocast until Tuesday. Best of luck!

It's only 2:pm on a Saturday. My current results are:

Download Speed: 686 kbps (85.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 363 kbps (45.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

That means your only getting 12% of the advertised speed! If Verizon had DSL in this area I could get these speeds for only $19.95/month!

Cal