snipper_cr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017

Re: Comcast abuse phone call.

I never understood that. Maybe because i do not know enough about the technology. But your connection is "shared" with everyone on the node. Well with DSL, your connection is "Shared" with everyone at the CO. I am not sure how it is different.
devnuller
join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

2 edits

devnuller

There are very few differences. Each are shared at some point, but people that are not very technically savvy continue to spout the DSL marketing FUD about "shared bandwidth"

Cabal
@comcast.net

1 edit

Cabal to snipper_cr

Anon

to snipper_cr
Every 3-4 months I need to harass Comcast to deal with the local misfits who feel it's their God-given right to saturate my local node and drop peak-hour speeds to 3/4 mbps or less (great signals, great pings, 15+ mbps off-peak Powerboost).
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to snipper_cr

to snipper_cr
I agree. I was being a little sarcastic in my previous comment. At some point or other it's shared bandwidth. I don't go for the argument made by pro DSL people when they state cable sucks because it's shared, whereas DSL is not. DSL is too shared, but just further upstream.

snipper_cr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
I guess I am lucky that our neighborhood is very not technically savvy in generally. We had a tech come out to try fixing something one time and he said that the node in our area supports 30-40 "Subs" (subscribers) and there are only 4 connected, including us.

The downside? A major problem at the node takes a while to get fixes since only 4 people are connected its not that high priority. But otherwise I enjoy full download speed 24/7!

Morty7
Premium Member
join:2004-09-18

Morty7

Premium Member

Nodes convert fiber optic signal to a rf signal over coax. Overloading a node would mean you saturate the RF channel on it, and there are many ways to get around that. What matters bandwidth wise is the line cards, a line card provides 38Mbps downstream on a Docsis 1.1 QAM 256 configuration.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

(topic move) [Rant] unthethicle company

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »[Rant] unthethicle company

stated reason was: Split rant to its own topic

exccc
@comcast.net

exccc to Morty7

Anon

to Morty7

Re: Comcast abuse phone call.

How many 38Mbps line adapters / channels can you put on a cable segment?

Morty7
Premium Member
join:2004-09-18

Morty7

Premium Member

said by exccc :

How many 38Mbps line adapters / channels can you put on a cable segment?
Multiple, but varies depending on plant setup and equipment being used. Docsis 3.0 allows for greater channel bonding and many other features, which effectively squares/cubes the existing bandwidth available per channel and card.

exccc
@comcast.net

exccc

Anon

Thanks. This is good news. It sound like Comcast will be able to scale their network without having to completely change the topology. If they had to justify re-cabling the entire country just to support Internet access, it would never happen.