All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Yahmoncool
join:2001-04-12
Washington, DC

Yahmoncool

Using DI-524 Wireless Router - won't connect.

I hooked it up exactly as I was supposed to (I've done these a thousand times).

The net works fine when the modem is plugged directly into the computer - but when I plug the modem into the router and then run an ethernet cable from the router to the computer the net doesn't work.

Windows XP doesn't even recognize that an ethernet cable has been plugged in.

When I used D-link's software to do it and after I manually reset the router it recognizes that a cable is plugged in but it won't access the internet. When it tries to reset the internet connection it fails every time because it can't find an IP... or something like that.

Help me out guys - it's my girlfriend's dad's computer - I need to impress him .

Thanks in advance.

Mountaineer1
Big WVU Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-01-12
Universe

Mountaineer1

Premium Member

What modem(Brand/Model#)is it,and who is the ISP?
MrPopman
join:2005-10-24
San Diego, CA

MrPopman to Yahmoncool

to Yahmoncool
Because Win XP doesn't recognize the router until you change the Windows settings, I am going to guess that the ISP is doing something other than assigning an IP using DHCP, probably PPPoE and/or a logged MAC address. You will need to determine those settings, disconnect everything, reset Windows to straight DHCP, connect and login to the router, load the ISP access settings into it, power cycle the modem and connect it to the router, and then think positive thoughts about it working. Also helps to not have an audience watching. Also get back to us as Mtneeer suggested with the modem and ISP info.
JimF
Premium Member
join:2003-06-15
Allentown, PA

JimF to Yahmoncool

Premium Member

to Yahmoncool
You may have to clone the MAC address of the PC into the DI-524. Also, check to make sure that the Ethernet cable is good.