how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ciscokid0690

join:2007-01-09
Buffalo, NY

di-624 as repeater

is there any way to configure this router as a repeater?

rperkin

join:2003-12-12
UK

No

The DI-624 is a router + Access Point only. It does not provide other wireless modes such as Repeater, Bridge or Wireless Client.

If you want to extend a network with an additional Access Point, you could use a DI-624 as an Access Point + Ethernet switch, connecting the device to your existing router by Ethernet. If you need more info on how to do this, shout out.

Hope this helps

tahmed_80
Premium
join:2007-01-28
Lombard, IL

2 edits

hello rperkin,

I have a di-624 that does not acquire an ip address when connected to a broadband modem. to make a long story short, the router can only be used as an access point now. anyway, i have netgear fs105 switch that i plan on connecting to the modem and then connecting the di-624 to the netgear switch so i can access the internet wirelessly. will this setup be successful, and how am i supposed to configure the di-624??

all help appreciated.

cliffs:
modem -> switch -> malfunctioning di-624 wireless router

is this possible?
how should i configer the di-624?

rperkin

join:2003-12-12
UK

said by tahmed_80:

will this setup be successful
No. Or at least, not if you want to connect more than one PC to the Internet (which I assume is why you are trying to use a switch) and your ISP does not provide more than one IP address.

To share a single public IP address, you need a NAT router. This is what the DI-624 is, but as with all similar devices it routes between the WAN connection and the LAN (Ethernet + wireless).

If as you say the DI-624 is faulty and can only be used as an access point, then to achieve this you will be connecting to a LAN port, and the device will not act as a router.

said by tahmed_80:

di-624 that does not acquire an ip address when connected to a broadband modem ... the router can only be used as an access point now
- have you tried resetting the device?
- have you tried returning it as faulty to the retailer?
- have you tried returning it to D-Link under RMA. In the US, the warranty is 3 years I believe, so it may be worth giving D-Link Support a call...

Hope this helps

tahmed_80
Premium
join:2007-01-28
Lombard, IL

thanks for the answer. i'll call d-link.

i was under the impression that the NAT and DHCP functions of the router would still be implemented under the setup described earlier.

public ip from modem -> switch -> router (connected using a lan port) -> multiple computers (dhcp)

i see what u're saying though and that just blows. oh well.

Talon88
The One

join:2003-08-13
Toronto
reply to ciscokid0690

:::

Should be

public ip from modem -> router (connected using a WAN) -> multiple computers (dhcp)

Add switch to Router if need.
Connect from LAN to LAN port!

:::