uniqs
share rss forum feed

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
kudos:1

WPIX New York now on 254??? I HATE Comcast!

I don't know if they did it yesterday or today, but this morning I noticed that NYC channel 11 WPIX is being digitally simulcast on channel 254, right next to WNBC New York which is now ONLY to be found on digital channel 253. For the moment WPIX is still available on channel 11 (analog & digital) but I can only imagine it will soon be dumped from its traditional dial location and made digital-only just as they did with channel 4.

Comcast has no idea how much they're alienating the scores of NYC- and northern NJ-based customers here in Mercer County by continuing to make ill-advised, bone-headed moves like this. I have no doubt they will pay a big toll in terms of lost customers when Verizon FiOS TV becomes available here later this year.
I can't wait!

TurboDan

join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ
Wow! They haven't pulled this with WPHL here, yet. But it sounds like it may be coming.

I doubt WPHL would create that much of a stir, since news was never their forte. But WPIX, on the other hand, has had an Emmy-winning newscast at 10PM for years that people enjoy ALOT!

Shame on you Comcast, as usual!

CRP2
Comcast of Ocean County

join:2005-12-26
Brick, NJ
reply to Steely
Did you contact Comcast regarding this? Just curious as to what their response would be. From the looks of it, it does look like they're planning on making WPIX, digital only in Mercer County. The question is when?
--
Comcast of Ocean County (Brick)

Steely
Premium
Princeton Junction, NJ
No, I didn't call. In fact I hate calling with local questions. Nine out of ten times I get connected to someone in New Orleans whose only access to my local channel lineup is the out-of-date info posted on the website. On the rare occasion I do get to speak with someone here in NJ they almost always know less than I do. Besides, I can see where this channel 11 thing is going. Why aggravate myself by talking to a completely powerless CSR?

Steely
Premium
Princeton Junction, NJ
BTW, just checked my online channel lineup. They're still showing WPIX on channel 11 as "WB" and naturally there's no channel 254 whatsoever. Shocking!

CRP2
Comcast of Ocean County

Brick, NJ
reply to Steely
There's always a possibility that the CSRs actually know about this, or could get in touch with someone that knows. That's why I asked if you called them. Personally, I'd want to know a date for when this could occur. Because if they're removing WPIX from the Mercer County lineup, than WPHL can't be far behind in Ocean.
--
Comcast of Ocean County (Brick)

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Comcast
reply to Steely
Here in Ocean County, NJ they have channel 57, WPSG the CW network in Philadelphia on 254 as well as 15 their usual place. Looks like Comcrap is about to move the CW network like they moved NBC. 57 covers all the over the air broadcasts of the Phillies, Flyers, and Sixers. It's Comcastic!
--
My Blog on blogspot.com

Steely
Premium
Princeton Junction, NJ
Not sure about the 2007 schedule, but last year WPIX 11 broadcast maybe 25 Mets games which were not on SNY. So not only will I again miss out on any WPIX HD Mets broadcasts this year, I won't get the games at all on any of the TV's upstairs which do not have digital boxes. Comcastic!

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Comcast
said by Steely:

Not sure about the 2007 schedule, but last year WPIX 11 broadcast maybe 25 Mets games which were not on SNY. So not only will I again miss out on any WPIX HD Mets broadcasts this year, I won't get the games at all on any of the TV's upstairs which do not have digital boxes. Comcastic!
It would be nice if they would at least throw us all a little bone by giving us channel 57 in my area, and channel 11 in yours, to us in HD as well, since it wont be on analog anymore.
--
My Blog on blogspot.com

Steely
Premium
Princeton Junction, NJ
Fat chance of that happening!

TurboDan

Lavallette, NJ
reply to actor90
said by actor90:

Here in Ocean County, NJ they have channel 57, WPSG the CW network in Philadelphia on 254 as well as 15 their usual place. Looks like Comcrap is about to move the CW network like they moved NBC. 57 covers all the over the air broadcasts of the Phillies, Flyers, and Sixers. It's Comcastic!
Only southern Ocean County receives WPSG (as well as WHYY). So, if they plan on moving WPSG to digital, chances are that the rest of Ocean County will not see WPHL move. As we speak, there is no Ch. 254 in northern Ocean County.

Steely
Premium
Princeton Junction, NJ
reply to Steely

IT'S OFFICIAL!!!

Well, it didn't take very long. Saw the announcement on my digital box this morning: Effective 1/31/07 WPIX 11 NY will ONLY be available on channel 254 and require a digital converter. The change affects customers here in West Windsor as well as in East Windsor and Hightstown.

And customers outside of Mercer County get screwed too with WPSG-57 getting booted to channel 254 in the same fashion.

Let me bend over a little further.

CRP2
Comcast of Ocean County

Brick, NJ
That sucks Steely. Luckily, they haven't done the same thing on Comcast of Ocean (Brick) yet. The only local that we have in the 250 range of channels is WCAU.

tylert1202

join:2005-10-01
PennHills PA
reply to Steely

Re: WPIX New York now on 254??? I HATE Comcast!

Saw the "I HATE Comcast!" in the title and I had to respond...

Who doesn't hate Comcast Crapcast? I hate them... with a passion I might add. I recently switched to Verizon for phone and internet, and love it. Can't wait for FiOS TV is available so I can dump Comcast all together.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
who doesnt hate them, ide say the investers dont hate them. have you looked at the stock market lately? they are totally blowing the competition out of the water. verizon included.

TurboDan

Lavallette, NJ
said by rody_44:

who doesnt hate them, ide say the investers dont hate them. have you looked at the stock market lately? they are totally blowing the competition out of the water. verizon included.
Verizon's just getting started. The sats aren't available to many people, and have terrible PQ.

Pretty easy to blow the competition out of the water when you don't actually have any, isn't it? That's why Crookcast treats it's customers like crap - because it can.

For the record, I own stock in both companies. I got my Crookcast stock from a small company that was divested and gobbled up over the years. Can't even think of the name.