how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hamburglar_

join:2002-04-29
united state

Yeah, but...

all I hear is faster and faster FIOS actually being deployed by Verizon and nothing but 'talk' about ATT and their crap VDSL. 1.5Mb in 2006 is very sad.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3

said by hamburglar_:

all I hear is faster and faster FIOS actually being deployed by Verizon and nothing but 'talk' about ATT and their crap VDSL. 1.5Mb in 2006 is very sad.
Then move to a Verizon area..

I've thought a lot about what at&t/sbc is doing.. weighed it with sentiment here and came to this conclusion. at&t is right in what they are doing.

People here think that every company has to offer the Cadillac of service to everyone they serve. I don't agree. People here also feel a sort of an entitlement to the best service available as well, again, I do not agree.

So much of the "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome is going on here as well. Everyone sees what Verizon is doing with FTTH and think that it somehow sets a standard when in fact other systems have been doing FTTH projects for over 6 years now. (Sacramento, CA - Huxley, IA and many more)

Bottom line - at&t is going after a market that it feels it will serve. It may not be a grade A system offering gobs of bandwidth to the home, but maybe they aren't going for that. People here say that DSL is better than cable, however DSL speeds are usually less than cable, not always better quality, but people seem to be ok with it because it fits their needs.

With that, at&t most likely doesn't feel it needs to offer a fiber service. Cable will most likely offer a fast and wide pipe to the home. at&t's strategy most likely will be to offer a service which is less to a consumer that wants or needs less.

So, their "crap VDSL 1.5" (which is so incorrect to begin with) which serves around 100mb (6 for internet) is just fine for their market. Additionally, if you're hearing nothing but talk about 1.5 VDSL, then you're not listening too closely either.
--
"Wipe out the national deficit over night... Tax the stupid!" - about 50 gMail invites available. PM if you'd like one.

Zorglub8

join:2000-11-18
Fremont, CA

100Mbps? I thought that they were limited to 26. Please educate me.

cwh

join:2006-05-14
San Antonio, TX

VDSL2 is capable of 100meg at 1000 feet. They are provisioning out to 3000 feet with vdsl at 25meg. There is room for growth in bandwidth as the technology matures and pair bonding is added.

dgatewood8

join:2002-08-12
Euless, TX
reply to Zorglub8

Yes. The above poster is wrong in the 100 MB figure. It is limited to about 26 as far as I know without bonding...

He also totally jumped the gun on the above poster's words. He didn't say they had "VDSL 1.5" deployed. He said that they had VDSL deployed and that 1.5 MB internet connections were a joke.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9

I thought that u-wave was to be ADSL2+, which offers sync up to 24/3. Are you sure about the VDSL protocol usage?

-Dane

cwh

San Antonio, TX

They are using vdsl. ADSL2+ maxes out at that, where as they are getting 25meg at 3000 feet right now.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to fiberguy

said by fiberguy:

I've thought a lot about what at&t/sbc is doing.. weighed it with sentiment here and came to this conclusion. at&t is right in what they are doing.

So much of the "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome is going on here as well. Everyone sees what Verizon is doing with FTTH and think that it somehow sets a standard when in fact other systems have been doing FTTH projects for over 6 years now. (Sacramento, CA - Huxley, IA and many more)
let's face it: AT&T is short sighted. sure, it's cheaper now and investors like saving money! but in the long run, they will bleed to death from cable's improved infrastructure.

sad in a way, but that's their choice. however, we must all remember their decision and not bail them out of this hole they are digging. failure to adequately plan for the future = you die.

hamburglar_

united state
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
reply to cwh

said by cwh:

VDSL2 is capable of 100meg at 1000 feet. They are provisioning out to 3000 feet with vdsl at 25meg.
Exactly. I am in a major metro and live over 16000 feet from the CO. 100Mb. Yeah, right. 1.5 is all I can get via DSL, that's why I'm with cable.

hamburglar_

united state
Reviews:
·ObiVoice

1 edit
reply to fiberguy

said by fiberguy:

So, their "crap VDSL 1.5" (which is so incorrect to begin with) which serves around 100mb (6 for internet) is just fine for their market. Additionally, if you're hearing nothing but talk about 1.5 VDSL, then you're not listening too closely either.
All I hear is 'Talk' about these new services. They haven't deployed anything new here. 1.5Mb is all I can get today, along with two different cable providers at much faster speeds. And BTW, I don't need to move to a Verizon area. The cable providers here provide a fast, reliable connection at a reasonable price. ATT is a joke.

cwh

San Antonio, TX
reply to hamburglar_

said by hamburglar_:

said by cwh:

VDSL2 is capable of 100meg at 1000 feet. They are provisioning out to 3000 feet with vdsl at 25meg.
Exactly. I am in a major metro and live over 16000 feet from the CO. 100Mb. Yeah, right. 1.5 is all I can get via DSL, that's why I'm with cable.
I used to be at 13000 feet, I an now at about 3000 feet. Things change.

silica

join:2004-05-20
Duluth, GA
reply to dgatewood8

Theoretically, we have the following situation:
VDSL's maximum symmetric speed is 26 Mbps, but with asymmetric transmission, it's 52 down and 12 up.
VDSL2's maximum (again theoretical!) is 250 Mbps, with 100 Mbps at 500 m.
Again, your mileage may vary