dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Yeah, but...
This is a sub-selection from Dear AT&T...

Happi
@charter.com

Happi to Fatal Vector

Anon

to Fatal Vector

Re: Dear AT&T...

said by Fatal Vector:

That's nice and all, but what you leave out is that 95% of consumers dont NEED such speeds. For them 1.5-3Mb is good enough.
It's the total cost comparison that breaks your equation. The inflated cost of AT&T phone service (with all those myriad of "extra" service charges) is used to subsidize the "cheap" (and slow) DSL. Folks are starting to see that for the same total cost of "cheap DSL" and AT&T phone service -- they can have (at no extra cost) much faster broadband with VoIP on their cable. For the same money -- why-not? Good-Bye AT&T!

Fatal Vector
join:2005-11-26

1 edit

Fatal Vector

The inflated cost of phone service? I have a basic, unlimited local calling, no frills line from AT&T that is just shy of $16 a month before taxes, my 1.5 DSL, which is rock stable, 24/7 AND fits my needs is $13.

That's $30, before taxes, about $45 after. Still WAY cheaper than comcast when you have to bundle TV and HSI, BEFORE taxes. Hell, HSI alone is $42 and TV is another $50. Who exactly has the bloated cost?

You can call DSL slow if you like, but the bottom line is that 1.5 Mb service fits MANY peoples internet needs.

ymojica
Premium Member
join:2005-09-13
Houston, TX

2 edits

ymojica to Happi

Premium Member

to Happi
Click for full size
here is my connection rate from u-verse service that I got installed on last month.. Let me tell you I don't have any complaints about the speed or the quality of the picture, so far I can said that is better than satellite or cable

Happi
@charter.com

Happi to Fatal Vector

Anon

to Fatal Vector
You are not an average account (I suspect not even real). Here is a "modest" AT&T account. Cable + VoIP beats it to shreds!
Rick5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06

Rick5 to Fatal Vector

Premium Member

to Fatal Vector
lol, you're using some real creative math there.

What you're leaving out of YOUR costs though is YOUR tv costs in addition to your phone and dsl.

And any way you want to shake it, 1.5M dsl simply is no comparison for 20M cable.

Sorry.
cwh
join:2006-05-14
San Antonio, TX

cwh to Happi

to Happi
A land line is not required for U-verse. So if you want to voip from another provider, you can. VOIP for u-verse should be arriving in the near future...

hamburglar
join:2002-04-29
united state

hamburglar to Fatal Vector

to Fatal Vector
said by Fatal Vector:

That's $30, before taxes, about $45 after.
$15 in taxes!!!?!? That's 50% of your bill added on for taxes and fees. That is EXACTLY what is wrong with the phone company. Taxes and fees on my cable/internet/phone bill are less than 10%.

luvbiskit
@comcast.net

luvbiskit to Fatal Vector

Anon

to Fatal Vector
phone=$16 dsl=$13 u r missing all the line charge bs. the lowest ive seen att dsl is 14.99, lets see a copy of the bill.
what u dont see is the real cost of their dsl cuz they hide it in the pots line charges.

Alakar
Facts do not cease to exist when ignored
join:2001-03-23
Milwaukee, WI

Alakar to hamburglar

to hamburglar
said by hamburglar:
said by Fatal Vector:

That's $30, before taxes, about $45 after.
$15 in taxes!!!?!? That's 50% of your bill added on for taxes and fees. That is EXACTLY what is wrong with the phone company. Taxes and fees on my cable/internet/phone bill are less than 10%.
So you blame the phone company when the government collects taxes from you? The surcharges and other fees are taxes; the government doesn't allow those to be listed as taxes, because they don't want people getting pissed. All of these are outlined in the 1996 Telecom Act. The reason you don't see these on your cable bill, is because cable in not subject to that act.

It's not the phone company charging all of this, it's the government.

Fatal Vector
join:2005-11-26

Fatal Vector to Rick5

to Rick5

My TV costs are immaterial, since I dont use Comcast HSI. And I was referring to the "bloated cost of TELEPHONE service.

Also, I never said 1.5 Mb DSL was comparable to 20 Mb service. What Iv'e said many times is that my 1.5 serves my needs and is rock stable speed wise. I also said that most consumers dont need such service and 1.5 DSL serves their needs too.

Face it. Only geeks want or "need" 20 Mb Internet service. The rest buy what suits their needs and wallets. It has allways been so in commerce.
Fatal Vector

Fatal Vector to Happi

to Happi

If you bother to ASK next time you call AT&T, and hack your way through the marketing pitch, you will find that a BASIC, NO FRILLS line for unlimited local calling is about $16 and a metered line (usually 40 local calls included) is about $10, before taxes. BOTH of which will qualify you for DSL. It's not rocket science.

A Metered line plus DSL at $13 is $23 before taxes, even less than VOIP.

"15 in taxes!!!?!? That's 50% of your bill added on for taxes and fees. That is EXACTLY what is wrong with the phone company. Taxes and fees on my cable/internet/phone bill are less than 10%."

It's not the phone company. It's the "Fcc access charge", the "911 charge and/or surcharge" Federal tax, state tax, franchise tax, and other taxes. In some places the taxes add up to MORE than the cost of the line itself.

"phone=$16 dsl=$13 u r missing all the line charge bs. the lowest ive seen att dsl is 14.99, lets see a copy of the bill.
what u dont see is the real cost of their dsl cuz they hide it in the pots line charges."

Actually, the bill is quite detailed and all the different services are separated. The DSL is the last promotion for a one year contract they offered. it is $12.95, before taxes.

The line charge is for the POTS line itself for "access to the telephone network" (what a crock of shit.).
« Yeah, but...
This is a sub-selection from Dear AT&T...