EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 edit

EGeezer

Premium Member

Sony DVD player - "cannot play" error

I've had this player about a year, purchased retail at a local Circuit City store. It's installed in out living room, with good air circulation and protected location, no dust or other adverse environmentals. I've probably watched no more than a couple dozen movies on it. It suddenly went into hard failure mode.

My first thought was, OK the DVD player crapped out or I have a dirty laser or sensor. Before trashing the thing, I thought I'd run a cleaner CD through it. Well, I did, and the audio track on the cleaner CD plays just fine, but all my DVDs fail with the "cannot play disk" message.

It seems odd that it plays audio CDs fine, but craps out on the DVD. Knowing Sony's penchant for putting undocumented code in their products (per a forensics examiner, Sony memory sticks have DRM-like code imbedded in them), I wonder if something like a country code or other anti-consumer setting might have been activated by a power glitch or ROM failure.

Any ideas?

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

Hall

MVM

I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, there are (2) laser pickup units. One for audio CDs and one for video DVDs. One failed, while the other's still good... (???)

palmettodune
join:2002-12-04
Hilton Head Island, SC

1 recommendation

palmettodune to EGeezer

to EGeezer
Sony's are famous non-players of burned (DVD-+R discs). They like only the original protected copies best. PAL or SECAM will not play either. Not sure what your playing but if it's an original store bought NTSC DVD then you could have a bad disc (as long as nothing else will play) or a bad DVD. Warranty could still be there.

sportsfan54
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Laurel, MS

1 recommendation

sportsfan54 to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer
What model is your Sony DVD player? I have one that is involved with a class action lawsuit because of crappy playback.Here are the model numbers of the Sony models included in the lawsuit:
DVP-S530D, DVP-S330, DVP-S360, DVP-S550D, DVP-S560D, DVP-S570D,
DVP-NS400D, DVP-NC600, DVP-C650D, DVP-S350, DVP-S363, DVP-F21,
DVP-NS315, DVP-S500D, DVP-C670D, DVP-S300, and DVP-NS415.
rmrper
join:2006-06-13
Wylie, TX

1 recommendation

rmrper to EGeezer

to EGeezer
I do believe there are separate lasers. I have a DVP-NS715 (I think that's the model), that after a year and half of light use will no longer read CD's at all, but works just fine with DVD's and the few DVD-R's I've put in it.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

2 edits

EGeezer

Premium Member

Thanks all, for your help!

My player is a DVP-NS575P and doesn't appear in the class action, so that's not an option. BTW that's excellent information, hope as many people as possible get the word on the latest Sony attack on legitimate owners of purchased media.

Based on your answers, I just now ordered a Panasonic DVD-S52S from Circuit city.

It's sad about Sony, since I'd always preferred them as a vendor. However, after the DRM and rootkit debacle and subsequent attempts to minimize the severity and their delays in reparations and policy changes, I no longer trust or recommend the Sony or BMG brand to friends, associates or customers. This mechanical failure on a product a little over a year old with fewer than 30 DVDs played in it is one more reason for me to stay away from the brand.

EDIT - link added for Sony DVD player class action suit ;

Link to the instructions for recovery here.
EGeezer

EGeezer

Premium Member

Thanks to all who answered -

Update - Ordered a Panasonic S52S player, 90 bucks plus tax, free shipping from CCity. Ordered evening of Jan 15, arrived morning of Jan 18, everything works, great picture and sound.

Unfortunately my TV is a standard Sony 27" CRT, good as it can be, but the old Onkyo + venerable old Bose Acoustimass 7 + acoustimass 3 in rear makes for some great sound with that player - Lovely wife was shaken out of her chair when I put on Phantom of the Opera. Next, Top Gun.