rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium Member
join:2004-10-03
Grove City, PA

rawgerz

Premium Member

Re: retapping threads

I called a few machine shops. One sounds like they would do it, but doesn't know if they can or not since he thinks it's too small or is some proprietary bolt or something.

I just don't want to end up doing it myself. I have a tap and die set somewhere, but I don't know if it's standard or metric. Let alone I have no idea how to measure threads even with the little gage. And I defiantly don't want to try to use those helicoils, I just know I'd screw it up since theres no margin for error here.

Maybe once the new bolt comes I could get away with some locktite...

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

1 edit

dolphins

Premium Member

You could use epoxy »www.acehardware.com/prod ··· 005&cid= but if you have to unbolt it in the future, you'll need a torch.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to rawgerz

Mod

to rawgerz
OK -- re-tapping it is easy. They sell individual taps at Lowes, etc. Just go slowly and keep backing it out to clean the cuttings (a little oil helps a lot - just regular household oil like 3in1 will be fine). No reason to worry because if you screw it up you can take it to somebody and have a helicoil put in as it takes a still bigger hole. Oh yeah -- definately go one size larger. If that is a problem with what you have to drill out on the part this bolt connects to the tapped part, then you will have to go with helicoils to keep the same size bolt.

This is not hard. You can easily do it.

For measuring threads take it to Home Depot or Lowes -- they should have a guaging set mounted there somewhere that you just screw the bolt into. Try each hole until it screws in easily -- that's it!